• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tapping the deuce's fuel tank for a generator

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the good comments. Alas there is no grommet as the hole is too small and the brake line is exactly right above it so I can't drill it out but I hope to slip a piece of heatshrink tubing in there on each line. I used pipe dope for the fittings after reading about the expanding of the threads caused by teflon tape. I hope this will not cause a problem since there is no real pressure in these pipes. It has dragged out a long time. There are things which cannot be done until other things are done, and then there is that missing piece of material always stopping the job.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A short piece of rubber fuel line sliced length ways and slipped over the lines (wires, cables ,whatever need protection) instead of a grommet works for me sometimes.(especially when i don't have a grommet or the hole is large or irregular in shape or I jamb more through the hole than was there) I usually place a tie wrap on it at either end to keep it from sliding through the hole. Thanks Patrick, for sharing this project with us. I enjoy following along with all these type of posts.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
alphadeltaromeo said:
OMG...that avatar Patrick...LOL...holy moly boy...
Is that really Foghorn Leghorn? Or, was that the chicken where you got the other Great avatar of the "old guy" from your trip? It is side splittin' funny!(and Cool)
Edit; the other avatar is from Uncle Lee's! I found it on your great site http://www.bunkerofdoom.com So did you really meet "The Foghorn Leghorn"?
Boy, I say boy....

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At this point I have to complain about the bolts I bought from lowe's hardware store. 1/4" coarse thread, in a 25-pack bag. Also bought lockwashers, flat washers, and stop-nuts (nylon insert kind). It took only 50 ft-lb of torque to snap the heads off the bolts. they break where the tread section becomes the underside of the bolt head. These are for the side hatch hinges. To avoid breaking more, I tightened then only to where the lockwasher was fully compressed and no more. what junk! I suppose since there are nine per hinge and the hatch is aluminum, it is OK for now but I am disappointed.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
doghead said:
alphadeltaromeo said:
OMG...that avatar Patrick...LOL...holy moly boy...
Is that really Foghorn Leghorn? Or, was that the chicken where you got the other Great avatar of the "old guy" from your trip? It is side splittin' funny!(and Cool)
Edit; the other avatar is from Uncle Lee's! I found it on your great site http://www.bunkerofdoom.com So did you really meet "The Foghorn Leghorn"?
Boy, I say boy....
Yeah I did meet up with him last weekend. Real and in peron. I can just imagine him now as I work on this project saying "No no no yer doin' it all wrong!"

Since I change avatars sometimes, here is the image referred to..

Attachments

rmgill

OPCOM said:
At this point I have to complain about the bolts I bought from lowe's hardware store. 1/4" coarse thread, in a 25-pack bag. Also bought lockwashers, flat washers, and stop-nuts (nylon insert kind). It took only 50 ft-lb of torque to snap the heads off the bolts. they break where the tread section becomes the underside of the bolt head. These are for the side hatch hinges. To avoid breaking more, I tightened then only to where the lockwasher was fully compressed and no more. what junk! I suppose since there are nine per hinge and the hatch is aluminum, it is OK for now but I am disappointed.
You want grade 5 if not Grade 8 for good strength.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are exacytly right sir! I usually do buy at least grade 5. It was my own fault for not looking at them. I guess I assumed they would be better than pot-metal. Why would they even sell pot-metal bolts? Who would intentionally buy them and where would they be used? to hold seat cushions down? hehe..

rmgill

Well, lots of things are good for basic stupid grade 3 bolts. Holding sheet metal together, tube furniture, wooden objects, etc. In some cases same like a frame for a cast iron engine to be mounted on. In one case, I've seen how hardened bolts result in the case of engines breaking because the grade 5 and grade 8 bolts don't stretch and the cast iron case ends up busting instead. But, when you have to hold several hundred pounds onto something else, yeah, grade 5 or grade 8.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks