• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tarp for generator trailer

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question for you guys, I have a AN/MJQ-18 trailer, it's a twin MEP-003 trailer and was looking for a new tarp for it. NSN number is 6115-01-206-1271. Does anyone know where to look for one? Mine is falling apart.

Thanks for any leads

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So m103 then? They are hard to find! Best bet would be to take the one you have to a canvas shop and have them use it as a pattern to re-produce.

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes Sir, M103A3. That's what I thought, not many around anymore. Mine is rotting thread at the seams and falling apart, it could be sewn in a pinch.

Thanks,

gimpyrobb

Rotting thread might actually help the canvas shop. I'm sure they'll have to pull it apart for patterns, might make it easier on them. If you go that route, ask how much for 1 and how much for 5. I'd wager others would be interested.

Chainbreaker

Rotting thread might actually help the canvas shop. I'm sure they'll have to pull it apart for patterns, might make it easier on them. If you go that route, ask how much for 1 and how much for 5. I'd wager others would be interested.
Yeah, new generator trailer covers are unobtanium. You would think the military has a warehouse full of them somewhere that are no longer used but they never seem to come up in any surplus sales that I am aware of.

I was looking for a cover for my M116A2 and only found a couple of used ones in poor condition being offered at premium $$ prices. However, there is an custom canvas outfit that sells on eBay that does custom military canvas. I got a quote for a one-off for M116A2 and it was something around ~$1,200 with shipping as I recall from a couple years ago. A little to pricey for my needs! So I bought a heavy milspec canvas 12'x8' tarp to throw over it and it kept it pretty dry except when there was blowing sideways rain. I finally lucked out when I saw a neighbor having a yard sale and he had a perfect 8' military trailer cover that I bought for a song.

I'm surprised there is not much "group buy" activity on this forum when it comes to things like having trailer covers custom made.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

Funny you should say that, I have an m116 cover thatsin great shape aside from the stiching has come apart. Once I catch up on some bills, I plan on having a canvas shop make some new covers.

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the M103 trailer cover there's a ton of buckles and D rings sewn on it to hold all the sides together. Wonder if zippers would be better (cheaper) at all four corners than the buckles.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it were me, I'd find someone that does tops for dump trucks, and just have something made to fit. You can be sure it will be heavy duty enough to cover a couple of power units.

csheath

Tractor Supply sells a few canvas tarps. They are all rectangular but folded and strapped it should offer more protection than a worn out custom fit tarp. Prices range from $35 to $160. They are all tan colored canvas.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks