• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tatra 813 new owner

8x8Lover

Hey guys,
I've been obsessing about these tatras for a while and been doing a lot of research on the web......nearly worn out google! Anyhow, I found a site offering sales and spares here in the uk, obviously they could be shipped to the us i would imagine. the URL is Your First Choice for Russian Trucks and Military Vehicles - UK Russian Trucks.

They have a wide range of Russian vehicles including sections for air and sea.

Many of you may be familiar with the site but i thought i'd post it for anyone it may help. I might be popping down there over the weekend so i'll let you know how it goes.

There, that wasn't too bad for my first post anywhere, ever. LOL.

Cheers.

duncan

Nice, its a site that comes up quite a lot in searches (for me at least). Mostly given up on google for 813 info, you get the same stuff over and over.

Be sure to take some pics when over there! And post them here, ofcourse.

EZFEED

And look for a MotorPal mechanical fuel pump for a Tatra 912-2 for me too please!!!!! :)

The pump should cost about $50. I am curious to know if they have one and what price. Also if they have any pars for a PLDvK 53/59 too.

8x8Lover

I'm probably gonna go down there tomorrow when i have more time as its about 170 miles away. I'll make a list of those parts and be sure to ask him and take some pics of what he's got in.
Hopefully once I've been down there i should keep in contact with him and it could turn out to be a good source of parts ect...
All I have to do now is buy one of the beasts. I hope he has some good examples.

duncan

Heh, nice, if you're keeping a shopping list, I need a tail light cover (the plastic lens) for the right hand tail light (I think theyre interchangeable, but not sure). Pic of the left side lamp attached.

You'd make my day! :roll:

EZFEED

Please do! :) I need allot of Jesterka stuff. If he has specific parts for the Jesterka I would be interested. If not, any PV3S mechanical parts will work!

EZFEED

LOL! Well mines not really much bigger than a deuce Bjorn, well except in weight!:p

Sure nice to have some Tatra guys on here even if I'm only a little 6'er. Fun to be the second of three but sucks in the conversation/support area:cry:

Hope you T-813 guys dont mind me hanging around!:wink:

duncan

More the merrier, and with your T engine, you fit right in on most of the technical stuff anyway.

Last edited:

duncan

It's the busy time of the year at the shipping wharf so tatra work progress is near zero :| But I couldnt resist taking her for a spin.

Still having major clutch problems. Starts out fine, but after 10 minutes or so it doesn't disengage properly anymore, and slowly starts to feel like the pneumatic support is failing (after 20 minutes or so I need 2 feet to even get the pedal down). After it's been stood for a day or so, all starts out fine again.

Clutch fluid is a plenty, and have bled air multiple times too. I'm thinking I might have a leak in the hydraulic line, but that's kind of weird because the problem goes away when I let the vehicle cool down).
Also thought maybe the 20w50 oil I put in there is not suited for the job, maybe becomes too liquid when under temperature.

So I figured I'll go and get a new clutch hose just to be sure, then drain and replace with hydraulic fluid.

Suggestions are welcome though. I'm not sure the system can take hydraulic fluid, for starters. Also I read in the trouble shooting section of the manual heavy clutch operation might be down to the clutch air support line being old and soft.

Last edited:

tatra813

The pnumatic side of the clutch should be doing all of the work, so if it takes 2 feet to push it in id start with the pnumatic side of things, nice pics

duncan

Right so I started at the pneumatic side. Took the old clutch hose off, made new one to fit. It's now a stainless braided hose instead of a knackered old piece of canvas wound rubber.

There was a lot of dirt in the old line. It has a small filter inside which was almost completely blocked, meaning there must be a lot of sand and mud in my air system :evil:

Either way, new hose works a charm. I nearly fell out of my seat when I tried the clutch after installing. Didn't expect it to be that smooth, I pull the clutch down with 2 fingers now, if I'd want to. Went for a few rounds around the block to see if it would go bad again, but not noticed any major problems yet. Needs more testing though.

Tip of the day would be, replace that short hose with something proper, or at the very least clean the filter inside it (its removable when you unscrew the hose from the front panel).

duncan

mechanical to hydaulic shouldnt be too hard to convert, if you have the room to build it in. See how much clutch travel you need on the slave cylinder, and how much travel you can give on the master (linked to the pedal).
You can then calculate what the size ratio between master and slave should be, get the nearest "standard" sizes, and use that.

Hey, I can make it sound easy on a message board :roll: My only experience with home brew hydraulic clutch systems is on motorbikes though. A bit more manageable on the size aspect and all.

John C

HI.

EZFEED - This may be of interest to you; Zetor tractors which are cheq made also use Motorpal injection pumps, they're actually copies of the old Bosch pumps, the tractors have either 4 or 6 cylinder engines, we have a few of these tractors so will post pics ASAP.

Duncan - Did your truck come from Manby Motorplex by any chance? I was looking at their trucks a while ago but when I came back to see about buying one I was told they had recently sold the last one :cry: Never mind, I got one in the end :razz:

Tatra813 - I've read through this entire thread as you suggested, I managed it at last....Wow what a long a read :shock: (great stuff though!!) - However I'm still unsure who I should ask for manuals? I read a guy in Alaska has some manuals available but not a workshop manual? Who is he and how can I contact him for the ones he has? The one I really want is the workshop manual itself, would it be rude of me to ask you if I could get a copy from yourself? I'm quite happy to pay for it and any others you have copies of.

Many thanks John.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks