• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tatra 813 new owner

EZFEED

Neato John C! :) Please post pics if you can, that would be wonderful if there are some parts interchange. Actually there are several copies of Tatra engines out there, Deutz air cooled is one of them except the Deutz is not built as robustly as the Tatra and does not use roller bearings throughout the engine. Tatra has been around for a long time, its actually the third oldest auto maker in the world.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatra_(car)

If you know what the parts look like on the Zetor tractors could you possibly take a look at this manual for the PV3S (what my truck is underneath) and tell me if the delivery pump looks the same? I really only need a spare delivery pump, my IP is fine but it would do me good to know I can find parts locally.:)

This file is huge so give it some time to open. Pics of the engine and parts in the first part.

http://www.pedros.cz/Misc/V3S/V3S_dilenska.pdf

duncan

Did your truck come from Manby Motorplex by any chance? I was looking at their trucks a while ago but when I came back to see about buying one I was told they had recently sold the last one :cry: Never mind, I got one in the end :razz:
I was over there early february 2009. They had a few 813's still around by then.

They're keeping one, which they seem to use once or twice a year to tow around stuff. It's in decent shape, has a low bed without cover.

The other "good" one I hauled away, no need to give more details on that I assume :roll:

Then there were one completely **** ones rusting outside. They said it "needed the front axle replaced". It's the one in attached picture, with yellow'ish cab.
User "komotive" was planning on buying it and restoring :shock:

Lastly there was one for scrap and spares tucked away behind a building. I got my spare wheel off there. Otherwise it was in even worse shape than the one pictured. The owner of manby motorplex told me a previous customer of his wanted to buy the frame and rear two axles to make a matching trailer for his 813. Don't have any other details on that.

All in all, with about 2 months experience on my truck, I think I can say the current people at manby seem to have no clue on their 813s. From the state my truck was in when I got it (and their good one, too, by the looks), it seemed they just didn't really care.

It had tons of dirt, clay and rocks everywhere. After cleaning it 3 times I had to use a shovel to get the dirt away from the washing area. They didn't know what the dashboard switches were for beyond the main relay switch on top and the two reds for axle locks. Seriously, they couldnt even tell me which of the 3 key-lock switches on the dash was for electrical starting. Batteries where as dead, dry and corroded as I've ever seen before. The splitter wires were cut and the neutral solenoid disconnected because it kept falling back into neutral (it does that, without electricity, yes).

Basicly I think they've always started it by pulling it around with a heavy tractor for a bit, and then ran it in the firsrt 2 crawl gears through the terrain, and parked again for months (or years). Damn shame. They have some other cool equipment over there as well, and a massively cool offroad area. But if they take care of all their vehicles the same way, I doubt much will be worth more than scrap metal prices.

Last edited:

EZFEED

HOLY CRAP,,,that sucks :( Will they let you buy the remaining hulk? Is there enogh small parts even left to make it worth it?

You know we have guys like that over here too. Up in north Louisiana where my camp is on toledo bend lake there is a guy who runs pretty good size chicken farm and he uses a fairly rare U.S. WW2 halftrack to haul the chicken crap and other waste and materials around his place. The sucker was one of those that had a mortar base in the back and the first time i saw it, it had allot of its rear armor left. This guy has run it to the ground to the point where he has to rub two wires together to get it to turn over. As stuff started failing he just let it go and bypassed it fred sanford style. He even took a torch and cut the rest of the bed armor off and hacked off the mortar base too. Now it sits in the back, acid from the chicken feces rusting it away, and no matter what you ask him it isnt for sale.....:|

duncan

Well they probably have some spares, but it's all been outside in english weather for years, so depends on what you need really.

All the fragile stuff that might need replacement will probably be even worse on their scrap truck. For virtually unbreakable stuff like axles and all it should be fine.

John C

Neato John C! :) Please post pics if you can, that would be wonderful if there are some parts interchange. Actually there are several copies of Tatra engines out there, Deutz air cooled is one of them except the Deutz is not built as robustly as the Tatra and does not use roller bearings throughout the engine. Tatra has been around for a long time, its actually the third oldest auto maker in the world.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatra_(car)

If you know what the parts look like on the Zetor tractors could you possibly take a look at this manual for the PV3S (what my truck is underneath) and tell me if the delivery pump looks the same? I really only need a spare delivery pump, my IP is fine but it would do me good to know I can find parts locally.:)

This file is huge so give it some time to open. Pics of the engine and parts in the first part.

http://www.pedros.cz/Misc/V3S/V3S_dilenska.pdf
It does look similar, the lift pump on the Zetor is bolted to the side of the injection pump but works the same as the Praga one.

Here's some pics;

Attachments

John C

I was over there early february 2009. They had a few 813's still around by then.

They're keeping one, which they seem to use once or twice a year to tow around stuff. It's in decent shape, has a low bed without cover.

The other "good" one I hauled away, no need to give more details on that I assume :roll:

Then there were one completely **** ones rusting outside. They said it "needed the front axle replaced". It's the one in attached picture, with yellow'ish cab.
User "komotive" was planning on buying it and restoring :shock:

Lastly there was one for scrap and spares tucked away behind a building. I got my spare wheel off there. Otherwise it was in even worse shape than the one pictured. The owner of manby motorplex told me a previous customer of his wanted to buy the frame and rear two axles to make a matching trailer for his 813. Don't have any other details on that.

All in all, with about 2 months experience on my truck, I think I can say the current people at manby seem to have no clue on their 813s. From the state my truck was in when I got it (and their good one, too, by the looks), it seemed they just didn't really care.

It had tons of dirt, clay and rocks everywhere. After cleaning it 3 times I had to use a shovel to get the dirt away from the washing area. They didn't know what the dashboard switches were for beyond the main relay switch on top and the two reds for axle locks. Seriously, they couldnt even tell me which of the 3 key-lock switches on the dash was for electrical starting. Batteries where as dead, dry and corroded as I've ever seen before. The splitter wires were cut and the neutral solenoid disconnected because it kept falling back into neutral (it does that, without electricity, yes).

Basicly I think they've always started it by pulling it around with a heavy tractor for a bit, and then ran it in the firsrt 2 crawl gears through the terrain, and parked again for months (or years). Damn shame. They have some other cool equipment over there as well, and a massively cool offroad area. But if they take care of all their vehicles the same way, I doubt much will be worth more than scrap metal prices.
I spoke with James from Manby a while ago about the Tatras they had, I was under the impression there was five trucks in all, so you and Komotiv had one each since and two are still there at Manby, I wonder who had the other one then?

The one you had the spare wheel off was for spares yes? I believe one of the axles also missing now and perhaps went for the one komotiv had but what else was missing on this truck? Does it still have a cab, engine, gearbox etc left?

Regards John.

John C

The manual diesel pump and the filters look quite familiar :D
Parts For the Zetors are common and very easy to get here in Europe, the model in the pic is a 5718 but almost all the models from that era (1970's) use the same fuel system except the Zetor Crystals which have rotary pumps.

If you need help locating suppliers I can forward details for you.

John

duncan

I spoke with James from Manby a while ago about the Tatras they had, I was under the impression there was five trucks in all, so you and Komotiv had one each since and two are still there at Manby, I wonder who had the other one then?

The one you had the spare wheel off was for spares yes? I believe one of the axles also missing now and perhaps went for the one komotiv had but what else was missing on this truck? Does it still have a cab, engine, gearbox etc left?

Regards John.
I seem to have lost the original mail where James listed his for-sales, but I'm pretty sure it was only 4 trucks. He did have a spare engine though.

I had my spare wheel of the scrapper. They were taking the front axle off that one too, for the one that komotive wanted, yes. It still had the crewcab on, but as far as I can remember it was missing the doors, engine covers, windows and some other stuff. Things that werent missing looked... well like something left in english weather for years without cover. Bad.
As said I think they wanted to cut the truck in half and sell the rear part to some guy who wanted a homemade trailer.

Sorry for not having more info, I only saw it once, two months ago at 7 in the morning, freezing in the snow, after driving the semi+lowboy over from holland in a single haul :-D Needless to say I was not paying very much attention to that particular heap of rust.

My diesel pump and filters work fine btw, but thanks for the offer, more sources is better!

John C

Sorry, presumed it was five because they said they had four for sale not counting the one they wanted to keep, this and the fact you mention a previous customer who I presumed had bought one before, it means this one is still unaccounted for as you and komotiv have two of them, two are still there which possibly leaves another already bought by someone else?

duncan

I wouldn't know. You could mail James Tointon (he runs the place) and see whats what. Might be easiest way to get your infos. As said I just got in and out to grab mine.

John C

Sorry for the inquisition, I'm just trying to find out if there are any more Tatra owners in the U.K. ? I'll try contacting James again to find out, trouble is he's a very hard man to get hold of :roll:

tatra813

There was a guy up there that had english manuals, he used to have a website I think it was extreme trucks or something, Ive seen him talking on the yahoo tatra club site also. He also had parts etc try to find him. Ive got all the manuals and workshop manuals but they are all on paper and very thick books.

duncan

James always took about 2 weeks to reply to his mails.

At this point im seriously considering taking one of the companies I contacted up on their 100-150 euro offers for manuals. No where else to get them.

EZFEED

I think I am going to order a full set of english manuals for the T813 next go round at the STK in Prague. If there is a piece of czech military equipment made that was exported they will have a copy of the manual. :razz:

duncan

I've been at their site, it confused the hell out of me. You going over there, or doing inter library loan?

EZFEED

Nah I have friends there that are amazingly patient enough to scan whole books in for me lol :-D
I want to see what all they have in the line of english export manuals for the 813 and whatever Tatra813 doesn't have already I'll get for y'all.

tatra813

Hey Tatra guys
Im still looking for a factory bulldozer attatchment for one of my tatras. I see mortar investments have some but Ive heard they may not be a trustworthy overseas contact?

Anyone know of any other ones out there?

duncan

I was just looking at their page again last night, seems they have 5 new 813's in for refitting, and some of them have dozers. What got my eye is them mentioning they will replace all the cabs with new ones. It must mean new ones are still available somewhere.
Don't know about how trustworthy they are, but theyre not overseas for me, if its any help for you. Can't the people from ATH tatra help you out?

EZFEED

I have heard bad stuff about Mortar investments on some things. Recently a dude across the pond bought a new V-12 for his T-55 and it was delivered on time so that is some good news. They may only be reliable with things they have on hand and not those items they have on consignment.
Either way those surplus third party dealers are a joke (convienient for small stuff), I'd get on some of the Polish Tatra forums and maybe some Czech ones too and find a private seller. The reason I say look in Poland frst is because if you find one in CZ you will be paying trucking fees to get it to Bremerhaven or Emden to ship it out. Have you tried AMW?

Find a private seller who is serious about the deal and I can hook you up with my shipping agent who you can wire your funds to and then he will drive out there for a small fee (Maybe $200 or so) and inspect the unit. If its cool then half then and half on pickup. Try to find something close to the ocean and closer to germany cause even a short trip from lets say Prague CZ to Germany will cost 3/4 more in land transport than ocean freight. Ocean freight is cheap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks