• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tatra 813 new owner

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMHO, add a drain, checking for water is so much easier that way. Get one that requires an internal hex drive or something a little odd to slow down a potential thief.

duncan

Thought about that, but going to run without them first. Will see what happens, if its not good them we can always add later.

duncan

Have two questions for someone more familiar with the 813s:

How does the fuel gauge on the dash work? There is just one so I assume its split over both tanks. However I found nothing whatsoever even remotely looking like a float or something in the tanks. Couldnt find a connection or gap for any system either. I do however have 2 long wires that come from the main loom and end in nothing, wrapped up and tucked away somewhere halfway the truck. No clue what they are for, but it might have something to do with the fuel level, since the meter is stuck to nought now.

Secondly, theres a warning light on the instrument cluster which apparently "indicates if the batteries are charging". It's a little red light. So the problem is, it off when I flip the main power switch to on, and it's on when the engine is running. Either there is a red light indicating the batteries are being charged which is opposite from all other vehicles I know, or something is wrong in the system.

Any help with these things would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since you are on the electrical now, how about welding a "static" ground connection to your tank. The ground will be important for any fuel level sending unit and/or pump you might install.
A relay can be used to switch the fuel gauge as you select the right or left fuel tank or a double pole switch...

duncan

Ow and I forgot, I did more research on the fuel gauge. It's there but its never been connected. Even the manual states "not connected". Maybe Ill get one of these fancy sonar based units some day, but for now Ill leave it.

Still need to know about the red charging light though.

John C

Yea, mine also has no working fuel gauge, there appears to be no provision in the tank for a sender - which sucks a bit.

The red charge light should be lit with the engine running, this indicates the generator is functioning and producing a charge - so yes it's the opposite way around to most vehicles. It is also the same for the air pressure indicator.

duncan

Adding a sender is a piece of cake though. You buy one of the sonar based ones, program it for the size and shape of your tank, and it will give you percentages, liters, gallons, whatever you want. I think fancy units could even give you a time-based number. From there you just have to find out how to control the gauge on the dash, or add a new one.

Thanks for confirming the charging light. I like it better this way around, wouldnt be the first time I saw someone with a dead battery because of charging failures. "But the light didnt come on". Yeah, the light was broken!

John C

The sonar sender system sounds interesting, do you have any links to pages about them? Are they available for 24 volt systems?

Thanks

duncan

The ones I have experience with are from the nautical/recreational segment and work on both 12 and 24 volts.

Last edited:

tatra813

And the work continues! Primered the tanks in preparation of the black top coat.

But the best news is... planning a trip to the Czech Republic to pick up the new cabin, at last! Will be here before the end of january :drool: Cant wait!

Nice work!!!.....way to keep this thread going!

EZFEED

Awesome Duncan! Dude your tanks look incredible! Wanna make me a set of 15 gallons? LOL!

About your charging light. Here's the thing about these Tatras (My instrument console is Tatra), There are lights that stay on and there are some that stay off till the circut is completed. On mine there is a green light for oil and a white light for the generators and after startup these both remain lit.

Once correct oil pressure is reached (which is about 5 seconds after startup) the green light will come on and should stay lit but if it does not it means that one or both of the oil pumps are out (set for any drop below a certain point) or that the metal screen type filter is clogged and then I have to hit the lever to spin the cartridge around the scrapers. Otherwise the green light will always burn.

For both the 24V alts the sensors or whatever deal it is that measures electrical output on them is set to produce a certain amount of current. The light will not burn if one or both of these sensors are not functioning. There is a certain amount of voltage that needs to be produced and each alternator produces exactly half of whats required. The bulb is a bi-filament bulb and if one fails the bulb will burn low, if they fail or the charging circut is damaged there will be no light. Either way the white light is on at all times.

Everything else comes on when something fails. My fuel guage is not a guage but two red lights. When the fuel gets below a certain point in the tanks the lights or a light (depending on tank) comes on. Supposedly this is how Tatra does things????

Last edited:

duncan

Awesome Duncan! Dude your tanks look incredible! Wanna make me a set of 15 gallons? LOL!
I'll even deliver them to your doorstep if you want me to! Theres just this slight financial thing to take care off. You might want to print some extra dollars :roll: Also with no liquids allowed on planes these days, Im not sure how they will greet me when I try to board 2 massive 15gal fuel tanks, hah :grin:
I dont think "Dont worry its for someone's armoured Anti Aircraft truck" would help me there either.

On the lights, I have a real gauge (but disconnected) for fuel, and one for oil temperature too. Air pressure is a gauge for main circuit and some lights that come on when the brake circuit is filled. Combined with the charging light that's about it, apart from obvious stuff like direction indicator, heater and diff lock lights ofcourse.

duncan

Slowly but surely. Tanks ready to be mounted on the truck. Heater sandblasted, coated and reassembled. Waiting for a reply from Tatra to confirm a date for picking up the new cabin.

Last edited:

duncan

Right, news from the front. I will be in Prague to pick up my new cab. Arranging transport as we speak. It's finally happening!

Last edited:

John C

That is great news, I'm very happy for you - You're a very lucky chap.

BTW how are you having the cab transported? I imagine you are having to use a small lorry due to the width of the Tatra cab?

Also if you remember can you please take a few pics of the other cabs they have - in particular any of the two door versions - and anything else they have that looks interesting.

Thanks & good luck.

duncan

We're taking a heavy van + car ambulance. The cab weighs in at 1200kg, sized 2.6 x 2.6 x 2.0 metres.

We're probably going to put it on the trailer with the cage around it. 2.6 metres is no problem. Two friends are coming along for the trip, one of which is an experienced semi driver (same as me ;)) so I dont forsee any problems. If we take a lorry or semi through germany we have to pay MAUT (road tax), which will be around 250 euro for the round trip. Then the additional diesel costs, and rental costs for a truck. So yeah, van and trailer it is.

Now if only the weather cooperates. The entire country just got stuck in 20 cm snow during rush hour. Took me almost 4 hours to get home from work (30 miles). God how I wished I had the truck ready :D

Anyway, will ofcourse make a lot of pictures, and ask for the 2-door cabs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks