• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

teledyn 4-032

Ralph Guernsey

:smile: I have this engine, had it running, installed it into garden tractor. had it running after install, added a magnate clutch for PTO. :-( now engine will not start, it is getting fuel, and spark, I ran a compression test. 80psi each cylinder. :-( Any ideas of what went wrong?

Ratch

Did you have to pull any wires to install the clutch? Possibly put them back in the incorrect order?
Does this engine have points or an electronic conversion? Try rubbing the points with some emery paper or cleaner (electronics cleaner or sensor cleaner), resetting them to spec, then trying to start it. When I've dealt with these engines with points, they would have some spark, but it was weak. Cleaning up, adjusting, or replacing the points corrected lots of head scratching, and had the motor(s) fire up like new.
Is it possible the clutch is too heavy and the motor is not spinning fast enough in startup? A long shot, but not impossible.

FloridaAKM

I agree with the prior posters on the point driven engine, clean points, gapped correctly will make it run right. If it is a conversion ignition engine, that is a whole different story.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They will flood out very easy. Clear the cylinders and apply like said maybe 1/4 throttle to give it the air it needs.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure how big the motor is. Best way to start smaller motors is with a air fun or electric impact drill and a socket. Starts my generators instantly
When I was in high school shop class, we were trying to get a small engine started and I had the idea of using a impact to turn it over faster. The hamer from the impact broke the crank. Shop teacher never could figure out what happened.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Must have been a bad crank. I have started over 20 different engines like this. I tend to break pull ropes
Maybe so, I don't know. I do know the shop teacher was mad as heck wondering what happened. We hid the evidence pretty quick.

Never have been tempted to put a impact on a small engine crank since though.

rustystud

Using an impact gun on an small engine to start it is a big NO! NO ! Just like "m16ty" said, it can break the crank and strip out the bolts so fast you don't know what hit you ! Just like I tell my son. Just because all the other kids are jumping off the bridge and are not getting hurt doesn't mean that it's OK for you to jump. Just wait until one of them breaks their neck, then we'll see who was smarter. Same goes for starting an engine with an impact gun. Just not smart.
Now a big electric drill can do the job. Not an impact drill, a regular drill like a good Milwaukee 1/2" drive one.

Last edited:

Keith_J

Impact wrenches are dynamic, they do not do a good job spinning a heavy crank. Now a 3/4" DRILL will work, even though it has less torque than a 1/2" impact wrench.

Back to the question, ethanol in the fuel will ruin the float in the carburetor and cause flooding. Also, clutches can have drag. It might be slowing crank speed.

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

Back when Saturn Surplus was selling surplus Teledyne a04-32 crate engines for cheap, I bought several for a genset I have. None were ever reinstalled into the genset, so they are still in the crates. The one thing I hated about the engine, although they worked very well, was the exhaust smell. If you got in the line of fire from the exhaust, your clothes would pick it up & could only be washed out. The points fired engines required a lot of tinkering with the points as they tended to burn & pit on a regular basis. The genset has an electric starter & a pull handle starter for cranking it.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Allen you still have the manual on yours. Mine is in Newberry but I thought it said 1/4 throttle open to start then decrease when starts. This motor reminds me of starting a small aircraft motor. One or two shots on the primer 1/4 throttle and after fire reduce to idle.

FloridaAKM

James, manual says a 1/4" open throttle from full stop & full choke if the unit is cold. After the engine warms up, turn off the choke & push the throttle to desired running speed. Your very close in your description of how to start it. It should be good to go from there. Yep, I still have the manuals!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks