• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tell me about the MEP-501A

wsucougarx

I was surprised how cheap they went for. While I was there I noticed the gov't fuel draining method. They cut all the fuel lines on these gennies!! Oh well, probably a good idea to replace the lines anyways. Was looking forward to firing them off when I got home. Looks like I'll have to do a little bit of work before I get to play with these things.

Artisan

What were they, a couple of Hundred each?

Shipping killed it for me.

Cut lines? No a big deal, look real hard for other abuse and fire them off!

Jealous! ;-)

wsucougarx

Whew! Finally got one generator to fire off today. Took some time to bleed the fuel lines. Boy when she finally fired off, I thought there was an issue. There was nothing but a blinding white fog of diesel smoke that filled my area. It took her about 1 minute to go to a smooth idle. Once she was purged of air she just purred. What a great little generator. I'm awaiting a fuel filter before I can tackle my second generator. Hopefully she'll be as smooth as the first;-)

BrutusM37

Sorry to revive an old thread...

I have a MEP-501a with only 2.4hrs and it runs like a champ. I was going to use it for battery charging but plans changed. Was trying to sell it but no one in my area wants a bizarre 28V DC gen. Does anyone know if I can directly connect a 24VDC to 120VAC inverter to the terminals and get conventional power out of it? I'm wondering if there needs to be a battery bank in the mix?

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to run it through a battery bank to make the inverter happy.
Agreed.
A couple of 12v batteries in series would do the trick.
Generally 24 volt inverters will work with a 28 volt input. They usually are happy with ~20-32 volts depending on the make/model.
Be sure to check the inverters spec sheet to be sure!

BrutusM37

I figured the batteries would be necessary. I already have a MEP-531a so I'm not going to bother investing in the parts to make this 501a a not so portable 120VAC unit. I really appreciate the replies, saved me a lot of time and money.

rustystud

Whew! Finally got one generator to fire off today. Took some time to bleed the fuel lines. Boy when she finally fired off, I thought there was an issue. There was nothing but a blinding white fog of diesel smoke that filled my area. It took her about 1 minute to go to a smooth idle. Once she was purged of air she just purred. What a great little generator. I'm awaiting a fuel filter before I can tackle my second generator. Hopefully she'll be as smooth as the first;-)
Did you ever try and start your truck with this generator ? I also bought 2 of them at the same auction. They run great, but would love to have a MEP-531 instead. I want it for my Alaska Adventure. If I could figure out a cheap way of converting one to 120volts I would do it in a heart beat ! I haven't seen any more for sell lately. The only ones I've seen are from Green Mountain Generators and they want $1600.00 for it !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks