• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tell me more about the M813...Thinking about getting one, would like some info!

71DeuceAK

Yeah, I'd only be getting one if I lived off campus, which I ideally will be by next semester. I know they're physically huge, heavy, older, loud, rough riding, creature-comfort-lacking trucks, but that's why I love them! I can't say why but I think most people know what I mean!

Any other input?

red

809 series has single circuit air assisted hydraulic brakes like the deuce, and the same style parking brake on the back of the transfercase. They don't seem to be as prone to brake issues as the deuce but you need to keep an eye on them.

71DeuceAK

Has anyone ever later put an ether start system into an M939? Or, for that matter, an 8.3 into an 809 series? I'd be curious to hear if the latter has ever been attempted, successfully that is.

71DeuceAK

How do these do with shorter drives? (i.e a 3-minute drive to the transit center, then taking the bus to avoid campus parking and rush hour traffic?)

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do these do with shorter drives? (i.e a 3-minute drive to the transit center, then taking the bus to avoid campus parking and rush hour traffic?)
No internal combustion engine will tolerate a 3 min drive very long. Moisture build up and batteries not fully recovering the start cycle are just a few of the issues that will lead to maintenance issues. Add that this short drive will be in real cold weather and more issues will surface.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I second Scar's comments, the 813 will NOT like 3-minute drives.
Which for you will be 15+ minutes anyway, because of a minimum of 5 minutes idling before setting off, and 5 minutes idling before shutdown. And then bleeding the air to make sure there is no moisture in the tanks (particularly in cold weather, so it doesn't freeze).

Cheers

Lukes_deuce

as far as block heaters go, I picked mine up a Napa for around $60. install was a snap. Starts like summertime even a 0 degrees. If you plan on using it year round in Alaska just remember all of your other fluids are going to be the same temp as the ambient air is. Bill
Can you elaborate on the install of the block heater. I thought about purchasing one for the winter but havent gotten to it yet. I thought the install was a little involved with removing a cover on the block and there would be coolant loss.

Lukes_deuce

The 250 wont even warm up with a 3 minute drive. Especially in colder climates. I run mine a few minutes to warm up and settle down then off we go. Then its pedal to the floor. The older trucks need to be run. They were not designed to be a real daily driver. The coolant temp needs to come up and the thermostat needs to cycle a few times. Then you can load it up and let her eat it.

I idled mine for a few hours recently to do some work while using the truck as an air source. While the truck will do it, but Ive noticed a little more smoke out of the stack. Could be deposits, or one of the injectors got a little gummed up from not burning 100% for those few hours. Needless to say, I bring my generator and air compressor out with me now.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you elaborate on the install of the block heater. I thought about purchasing one for the winter but havent gotten to it yet. I thought the install was a little involved with removing a cover on the block and there would be coolant loss.
Zero-Start make a nice heater for the 855 block. Very easy install, yes, coolant will need to be drained. Strain it and put it back in.

71DeuceAK

Good to know these don't like brief drives! 30-ish minute drives should cut it though right? I'm talking some residential streets possibly, then 55MPH hammer down on the freeway for a few miles, then some city driving, then that's it.

tobyS

Good to know these don't like brief drives! 30-ish minute drives should cut it though right? I'm talking some residential streets possibly, then 55MPH hammer down on the freeway for a few miles, then some city driving, then that's it.
Have you driven one yet (5 ton 809 series or 939, 2 1/2 ton)? I know Alaska... but your driving (street, freeway, city) is not what these trucks are designed for. Have you checked into insurance when used for a daily driver? I've bought 14 and sold 10. so have had both 5 tons of different models and recently (2) A3 deuces. I wouldn't want to have to rely on either, day in and day out.

A Unimog could be a really cool alternative that once stripped of loader and excavator, could make a more reasonable size vehicle for a daily driver.

71DeuceAK

TobyS, have you spent a lot of time in Alaska then? It's crazy how many people are connected to AK. My roommate here and I actually met because of Steel Soldiers. (look at my forum threads, the story is in there, you'd get a kick out of it). I haven't gotten far enough as to get insurance quotes, since it'll probably be another year or two before I get one...I'll get quotes then. I haven't yet actually driven one, but I've sat in the driver's seat of an M939 and have ridden shotgun in a Deuce and have tried pop starting a Deuce by being towed by a material handler if that counts as driving one! I will hopefully be climbing around on some M939s this winter and may get to drive my roommate's M923A1 in a year or so, they've offered to let me drive it. I'm excited to drive one.

tobyS

TobyS, have you spent a lot of time in Alaska then? It's crazy how many people are connected to AK. My roommate here and I actually met because of Steel Soldiers. (look at my forum threads, the story is in there, you'd get a kick out of it). I haven't gotten far enough as to get insurance quotes, since it'll probably be another year or two before I get one...I'll get quotes then. I haven't yet actually driven one, but I've sat in the driver's seat of an M939 and have ridden shotgun in a Deuce and have tried pop starting a Deuce by being towed by a material handler if that counts as driving one! I will hopefully be climbing around on some M939s this winter and may get to drive my roommate's M923A1 in a year or so, they've offered to let me drive it. I'm excited to drive one.
No, only relatives lived there and not right now either.

I know the size of these trucks and driving them on the streets. The 5 tons are huge. They are easier to drive than a deuce but the amount of damage that can be done is extreme, should something go wrong. The military requires training and certification to be a licensed operator of them. Some states and the DOT require a CDL for the air brakes and size. They use a lot of fuel. I imagine they would be extremely cold, maybe unbearably so, about half of the year in Alaska. Your electric bill to heat one (block heater) in Alaska will really surprise you, and not in a good way.

Perhaps a HMMWV (or Unimog)?

71DeuceAK

Wow, where did they live? For whatever reason everybody seems to be connected to Fairbanks area! Yeah, if the brakes go out they can do a LOT of damage. Yeah, I'd definitely need a CDL for the M939 series here. Yeah, the cabs are definitely pretty drafty!

As for the block heater, at one point it looked like I might end up with a '68 M23A2 as literally my first vehicle...while living without city power too! Hence running a generator, for among other things the block heater!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks