• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Temp sensor - replacing

I_Publius

I may have found one reason why my truck is having issues starting. Both wires to the temperature sensor are frayed and barely hanging on. I am trying to replace it, but I am having trouble removing the old sensor.

Should I "muscle" it out? Or is there another trick?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385130465.845435.jpg

V8Astro

I recently replaced mine while I had the head off. We all gave up and used a 1/2" impact to get it out. The General made darn sure that thing wasn't going to come out on it's own!

Be sure you're turning the "top hex" that is the sensor. Not the bottom one that's part of the flange(or adapter, whatever it is).

I_Publius

I finally got it out, just now. I lost a little bit of antifreeze, but I have the new one installed. Or I should say, I am installing it as we speak. :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385131447.633793.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385131485.284359.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385131508.043737.jpg

V8Astro

My dad would say(after fighting with a stuck bolt) "Did you hurt yourself? No? That's why it didn't come out yet"

rofl

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have found out that the old style connector is not available. They have upgraded to the newer two pin style. While the old sensor is available, the connector is not (at least I haven't found it yet).

Good job on getting it out without breaking something. [thumbzup]

M1008BOV

Nice work. A little heat shrink or at least some black tape or liquid black tape would help keep corrosion out of those splices.

I_Publius

Definitely am going to heat shrink it. I have the shrink "tubes" on it and ready to fire it up, but I'm waiting to get the truck started first and make sure that my splices work before firing up the heat gun (lighter). :)

I_Publius

I'm having to recharge both batteries, as they keep draining. Then I have to check and see if there is air in my fuel line, as I recently replaced my fuel pump, and it's not running. Way too many moving parts. Uggg....

K9Vic

I had to replace this on a friends M1009 on Saturday, I soldered the ends over using the butt connectors. Though with correct use of the connectors and heat shrink it is just as good, but the soldering with heat shrink makes it more slim line.

Sorry no pictures, did not think to take any.

renovate7

You should be using butt splices without the plastic insulation around them. You can buy them at Radio Shack etc. or just cut the plastic of a splice you already have. Then get marine grade shrink tube, it is waterproof. Makes for a much neater smaller diameter installation.

wisconsinz

The pigtail I just bought from O'Reilly's had two black wires. I'm guessing isn't doesn't matter where each connects to the yellow and black wires? Thanks

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pigtail I just bought from O'Reilly's had two black wires. I'm guessing isn't doesn't matter where each connects to the yellow and black wires? Thanks
Mine from Napa came color coded.

I haven't seen one that wasn't. Until now

wisconsinz

Maybe I got mixed up here...

After reading the sticky about the temp sensor, O'Reilly showed a part that looked like this (but it's called a coolant temp sensor): http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d..._-1&keyword=coolant+sensor&pt=01392&ppt=C2178

At the store we looked up glow plug sensor (you know how they always want to look it up for you) and it came up with something way more spendy, which had 6 leads: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...ug+sensor_1050589_-1&keyword=glow+plug+sensor

I replaced it with the first one at the spot on the back of the manifold towards the drivers side, but maybe I was wrong?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The first one looks like the correct new style temp sensor.

The second one is a totally different part not applicable to our trucks.

My pigtail has one yellow and one black wire and can plug into the sensor only one direction.
So I would either take it back or look at some old threads with pics to figure out the wire hookup.