• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Temperature gauge, sender, or water pump?

Jim Deggys

My Deuce water temp slowly rises to 230-240deg while sitting at idle. No steam or change in engine noise. I replaced the thermostat with a 190deg one. The issue wasn't resolved, I still sit at 230-240. I rinsed and flushed the radiator about 5 times and noticed that the water color was a dark brown. Any suggestions? temperature gauge? Sender unit? Water pump?

Thanks!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use an IR gun to find out what your temp actually is.

Less than $20.

Jim Deggys

doghead

I used an IR gun but did not know exactly where to shoot it? The engine block was about 180 "below the exhaust manifold", the top elbow of the thermostat housing was about 115-120, the lower radiator hose was about 115-120, the radiator was about 95 deg in all 4 corners. I assumed that since I didn't see steam I got lucky, so I replaced the thermostat with no change.

HanksDeuce

Jim, when I bought my deuce it was basically doing the same thing. The water temp gauge would eventually peg out. I ended up replacing the sender only. No issues after that.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with HanksDeuce. Start by replacing the sending unit. Your IR temperatures are good. Check them wherever on the block and head there is water inside.

Last edited: