• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Temperature Sensor Question

GPrez

I bought a new temperature sensor from CUCV electric and it has 2-wires verses the original 1-wire. I sent this question to them as well, but thought it might be a valuable post since my search turned up no answers.

The original sensor wire is green with a black stripe though in the TM-20 it says yellow and/or black. I guess the TM is the new version for a 2-wire sensor. For anyone who has done this mod, how do the wires connect? I assume the yellow wire in the new lead goes to the existing green/black wire and the new black is a ground, but would like clarification. Does the second wire have to be run to the glow plug card as the TM diagram shows or just grounded in the engine compartment?

Update: I was looking at the wrong temperature sensor. The one I want to change is behind the air cleaner on the drivers side and it has the correct colored wires yellow & black.

Last edited:
There is a sensor on the passenger side, very low, behind the last glow plug. It has two wires. The one on the drivers side, behind the air cleaner, but on top of the motor has one, IIRC.
The one on the drivers side is for the glow plug card, also IIRC.

K9Vic

GPrez

CUCV electrics website says the stock sensor uses a single coaxle wire and the modern sensor uses a 2-pin.

I think I may have been looking at the wrong sensor. The TM showed the "temperature sensor" being on the drivers side behind the alternator next to the first glow plug. This one has a single wire, but not a coaxle wire. I'll check the sensor under the air cleaner and see if that is perhaps the one.

truck1

On my 1985 M1028, the sensor near the #1 GP is engine temp only,for idiot light or in my case an aftermarket temp gauge.The sensor behind the intake manifold is a 2 wire single connector temp sensor for the GP card/system which assists in duration of GP cycling by reading engine temp.