• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Temporary Regulator bypass

usmc81301

It turns out my regulator has went bad and it not charging the batteries properly. I have since ordered a replacement but this is my daily driver so I have to come up with a solution. My question is is there a way to bypass the regulator and have the generator dump a load into the batteries? The time I drive this everyday is not enough that it would hurt anything.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Neither. The big post is the output to the batts and the pigtail is the voltage sense. There is no simple way to make the 60 amp alternator put out some fixed amount. Put a battery charger on your batts at night and you should be able to drive around 50 miles or more if you leave the headlights and heater off.

papakb

If your batteries are fully charged the truck will run for hours on them. After starting, the only thing that uses power in a diesel are the brake lights if everything else is off. I drove mine home 70 miles with a dead alternator without any problems.

usmc81301

papakb, thanks for the info but my batts were low. The voltmeter dropped basically all the way down and it turned over real slow. On that note I will be going through and cleaning all the connections and seeing how it responds.

The VOLTAGE regulator controls the volts coming from the alternator. Bypassing it can quickly destroy your batters and burn out any electronics, Think bulbs, flasher unit, fuel pump. The batterys may be enough of a buffer to protect the electronics but i would not risk it.

usmc81301

That is a good idea. I did not even try to bypass it. I went out and bought a charger and am using that until I get my new gen and yes I did go through and clean every connection very thoroughly.