• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Temporary wheel swap to get M149 home?

tyggyr

I just bought two trailers - one last week that I picked up today, an almost new M200A1, and an M149 water buffalo yesterday.

While picking up the M200A1, we inspected the M149 to see if we could road it home on our next trip. Unfortunately, someone swapped one of the wheels between auction inspection and now, and they're going to scare up a better wheel & tire because the tire is trashed (and in the pics it was nice). Regardless, the other tire looks iffy for a mountainous 110 mile drive home.

I'm wondering if the wheels from the M200A1 will fit on the M149? They both have the same 6x8.75 bolt pattern, though the offset is quite different. The M149 has the deuce dually rim (split ring), while the M200A1 wheels are a modern one-piece with a fairly centered offset.

I'm sure the rim won't have an issue with the hub, but I'd like to make sure other aspects will be ok at least for a drive home (I realize the track may be a few inches wider with the M200A1 wheels).

The thing is that the M200A1 wheels and tires are *perfect* with new tires...

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I just bought two trailers - one last week that I picked up today, an almost new M200A1, and an M149 water buffalo yesterday.

While picking up the M200A1, we inspected the M149 to see if we could road it home on our next trip. Unfortunately, someone swapped one of the wheels between auction inspection and now, and they're going to scare up a better wheel & tire because the tire is trashed (and in the pics it was nice). Regardless, the other tire looks iffy for a mountainous 110 mile drive home.

I'm wondering if the wheels from the M200A1 will fit on the M149? They both have the same 6x8.75 bolt pattern, though the offset is quite different. The M149 has the deuce dually rim (split ring), while the M200A1 wheels are a modern one-piece with a fairly centered offset.

I'm sure the rim won't have an issue with the hub, but I'd like to make sure other aspects will be ok at least for a drive home (I realize the track may be a few inches wider with the M200A1 wheels).

The thing is that the M200A1 wheels and tires are *perfect* with new tires...
Any 9.00-20 from a deuce work work on the Buffalo. They are cheap and abundant.

The wheel on the 200a1 will work if you wanted to use it. The m200s come with dual 9.00-20s on them.

tyggyr

Any 9.00-20 from a deuce work work on the Buffalo. They are cheap and abundant.

The wheel on the 200a1 will work if you wanted to use it. The m200s come with dual 9.00-20s on them.
This M200A1, and a lot of them I'm seeing at auction recently, has single 10R22.5 tires on a much more modern rim (one piece, non-dual offset). The bolt pattern matches, but I forgot to measure the hub hole - I'm guessing it's the same size in both wheels?

tyggyr

Well as it turned out, the tires and wheels on the Buffalo were fine and up to the task of getting it home - after the yard manager found an acceptable replacement for the wheel that had gotten swapped out at some point.

We had the two wheels from the M200A1 in our truck ready to swap on but they weren't needed.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good job in being prepared for your recovery! Got any pics of the water trailer in question? Bonus points for pics taken during the recovery....

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Btw, wheels are interchangeable.
I have seen many ,many trailers on trains by me that all older trailers have been swapped over to the 22.5
Possibly units deploying?

tyggyr

Good job in being prepared for your recovery! Got any pics of the water trailer in question? Bonus points for pics taken during the recovery....
Here it is at the lot as we were securing the hoses and setting up the temporary lighting. It's got minor rust in a couple spots, the tank doesn't smell and has just a handful of sand in it. One of the air hoses is in bad shape and the metal hydraulic line from the brake actuator is broken. We had just swapped a wheel that had the trashed tire off.
signal-2021-10-16-083442.jpg
We're going to set it up as a wildland fire trailer for our place with a fire hose reel (probably 100' of 1" hose) and a high pressure water pump attached, to help protect our land (against fire starts - if a big fire comes I'll leave the trailer in an obvious spot for the pros to use and GTFO!).

tyggyr

Some of the m149 had a shelf on the front a frame over the bread boxes to mount a pump or chiller so should not be too bad to fab up.
There are four square pieces of metal about 2" square with a hole in each, attached to the frame in front of the tank, which look like they'd provide anchors for a shelf. I can see threads in one hole, while a small hex nut appears to be jammed in another.

There are no bread boxes on this trailer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks