• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Testing sprage?

cbvet

Finally got the clutch & rear main seal in the 1952 gas M35. Runs great!
Any suggestions as to an easy way to test the sprage to see if it's engaging?
(Sprag? Sprage? Sprague?)
I'd rather not get it stuck in a sand dune to test it.
We have stuff here they call "sugar" sand. You can go through it in a 4 wheel drive Jeep if you keep moving and have a light load, but I've stuck plenty of others vehicles & tractors.
Thanks,
Eric

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
You could... park in some grass (preferably wet) & tie off on something you won't be able to move (a big tree, loader etc) put it in gear and spin in place at low speed briefly. Then get out to see if the front has chewed op the grass.

rizzo

I talked to John Winslow about this and he said that the most reliable way to test it is under a load. ie BFR's reply. He said you can jack up the front wheel and test it that way, but sometimes it will test ok with no load, then not work with a load.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm, guess I'm the lazy one here. I just center one of the framerails against a tree, pop it in low range and let out the clutch and spin the tires just a bit. Then turn it around and back a bumperette against a tree and try it backwards.

FSBruva

Man, kenny!! Those are some multi-function trees you got down there in FL!! Engine hoist, sprague tester... what else can them things do?!?!

Matt

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oddly enough Dennis, they kinda suck at the shade deal. I use them for everything else though. The pine needles are great at keeping the grass from growing!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks