• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Texarkana Recovery

NewWheeler

I went yesterday to try to pick up my first Deuce. We got to the GL lot around 1000 with a plan to charge the batteries one at a time from my 1/2 ton while I did a good preflight of the truck.
All was going well, following the pickup sticky plan until it came time to bleed the fuel filters. I never got any fuel to come out and the youngster detailed to keep an eye on us during the pickup was getting nervous as they don't allow ANY wrenching on the lot and the bossman was working out on the lot too. We decided to go ahead and give the starter a tryeven with no sign of fuel yet....but nothing hapened except that the low air buzzer quit while the starter button was depressed. While I am at the computer running through the trouble shooting chapter of the TM-20, bossman comes over and reminds us NO wrenching on the lot but does add that most of these will start with a push. Our minder was now getting really nervous since bossman himself had warned us and we were still tinkering with the truck. As we are formulating our plan on how to pull start the truck,(since we couldn't get the starter to turn) bossman comes back but this time he has one of his other men with him and a huge forklift. With very few words he gets in the truck, directs the forklift behind it and off they go in my truck to get her started. 50 yards later she's at a rough idle and he's handing her back to me.
Bossman says 'you guys look like active duty and we take care of our soldiers out here.' Neither my partner nor I corrected him on the fact that we are Marines and not soldiers. We were just happy to have a running truck.
Paperwork complete we were off for the 200 mile return leg to Fort Worth. The fuel guage was inop and our tap test led us to believe that she was near empty so we headed off to the nearest fuel station. After pumping about $1.00 worth of fuel the tank showed full. This convinced me that the tap test had indicated a full tank not an empty one. After pull starting her again (still no starter) we went off again. She ran OK for a few miles and then quit on the highway. After some head scratching my partner pulled the little filter cup out of the fuel tank and we realized that she was out of fuel. The filter cup was so gummed up that when I went to put fuel in it earlier it had immediatly filled itself and showed uninformed me that the tank was full. So after putting 5 Gals of fresh diesel in her she again pull starts easily and we're off again. This time we roll into the next fuel stop and drop $125 into her tank and now she is really starting to come alive.
Except for driving through the heart of Dallas at 1700 on a Fri the rest of the trip went well with the truck pulling well up through redline to 2800rpm and almost 60 mph on flat terrain.13 hours later we were in the chocks at her new home after a 400 mile round trip recovery.
Thanks to my partner Mike for pointing out the forrest to me a couple times when I was focused on the trees and to Bossman and his partner (no names in case they weren't supposed to be helping) for getting old girl running.
Only one pic as we were busy trying to keep the mission on track.

Attachments

chuck500cc

Cool you are close to me. Very close. I got mine home about 3 weeks ago. I would like to compare notes on our trucks so we have something to compare to.

Chuck XD Fan

Pawnshop

Nice job sir, you got the cargo cover bows too! I am waiting on my EUC to clear then I will get my Deuce from San Antonio, I am in Austin, we should have a Texas "Deuce Jamobree" sometime. Sam.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glade you had good luck dealing with the GL folks down there, I am heading down there on the 20th to pick up a car hauler full, I hope to look around at up coming trucks, however they have not been very user friendly the two or three times I have been there, maybe better this time.
James G.

Alredneck

Banned
Good recovery Devil pups, I guess " MARINES " are not familiar with a good ole PMCS. Well if you keep the rig you will be. By the way does driving at 55mph + make yall leathernecks now if so I think I got a brown leather jacket you can sew some red chevrons on HEHE!!!! If the Army Iron is to much for ya I can take it off your hands no probs. Just ribbing ya fellas, again good recovery, see ya on the high ground! Captain

THUNDRLOJ

ATTENTION ALL WHO WANT TO GET A TRUCK FROM TEXARKANA!!
Let me share some valuable info with you. There is a truck repair shop directly across the street from the main base. I used them to do a pre-buy inspection and then recover the trucks from the base for me. The mechanic is a vietnam-era motorpool guy and knows the trucks inside-out. They go on base with your paperwork, drive or tow your truck to their shop where you can recover it at your convience. They are extremely flexible and easy to work with and resonable prices. And if you want, they will go thru it and do any maintence you want them to. I felt alot better driving my trucks to the Houston area after a truck mechanic went thru it.
They found a new diesel tank and had a drive shaft rebuilt and put in new batteries in the trucks.
The name of the place is JC TRuck Repair Phone # 903-628-5753
Talk to Lance or James(owner). Great bunch of guys.
If you call, tell them that biker guy from Houston sent you!

NewWheeler

Chuck and Pawnshop,
I have some work to do before I can get her out and about regularly. I need to fix the starterfor starters (Ha Ha) but I'm up for getting together.

Thundr,
The first time I went up there I spoke to a gentlemen that worked at J.C.s with an offer like you just described but he 1. wasn't the owner 2. led me to believe the owner wasn't around and that he ran the shop and 3. said he wasn't alowed on base. I would have loved to have someone more knowledgable than I look over the truck. What you describe sounds like the perfect setup though if you can get them to help.

THUNDRLOJ

Gus, sounds like you might have talked to their previous mechanic. They did have some problems with him, apparently. The new guy hasn't been there that long. The phone number I posted will put you in contact with James the owner, or Lance. The shop itself has a separate number. The owner has an office at another location.
If you ever go back, give 'em another chance. James and Lance are both honest, stand-up guys. If they can't help you, they will tell you up front.
Good Luck in the future!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks