• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Texas FMV bumper stencil markings

phillamb168

Registering my M1097R1 in TX and I'd like to go the FMV route since it's mostly going to be a weekend and parade vehicle. I'd like to match markings according to Army standards, but I'm not sure where to look for finding out what the right spec is. Does anyone have a reg you can point me to? I'd like to use the ARNG unit designation, b co 1-120 IN 30bct. Stuff I've seen online so far says that would typically be done as:
left side facing: 30 1/120IN
right side facing: B[some number]
Does that sound right? Would like to keep it as milspec as possible.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No. You are supposed to use the USMC or US Army registration number. USMC vehicles have it on the hood and US Army have it on the A pillar post inside the cab. Unit markings on the bumper is not what the law is intended for.

Per the VTR form:

The serial number assigned to the vehicle by the Armed Forces may be used as the license plate number. The digits must be at least two inches high, in a design and location, which conforms to the vehicle's official military design and markings. No license plate will be issued, but a registration sticker will be issued and must be carried in the vehicle.

phillamb168

Thanks NDT! I'm trying to find some photos so I know what it's supposed to look like, but not having any luck, do you know of anything I could reference? Everything had been painted over already. Specifically trying to find guidance on this part: "in a design and location, which conforms to the vehicle's official military design and markings"

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is what the registration number should look like,
Although I would expect to be legal you would need to use the number on your title which is normally the actual 6 digit serial number so it can be traced by LE

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I of course could be wrong, and unfortunately if you ask 5 different "officials" you will likely get 5 different answers :ROFLMAO:
Actually it is supposed to be the military registration number, not the VIN on the title. Mogman posted a good pic of where to find it.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually it is supposed to be the military registration number, not the VIN on the title. Mogman posted a good pic of where to find it.
The only problem I see is the registration number would be no use to LE or the state in case your vehicle was involved in an incident where someone copied the number or there was video and that is the number one reason we have licence plates , your quote does say serial number.

Not saying you are wrong but the authorities would likely want to be able to find you using the ID you have displayed and there seems to be no reasonable way to trace the registration number.

Just thinking using the states mindset, now I have a headache :cautious:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless when you get the MV (EDIT, registration not plates) you list what the ID will be, I have never done the MV registration thing, did not think about that o_O

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only problem I see is the registration number would be no use to LE or the state in case your vehicle was involved in an incident where someone copied the number or there was video and that is the number one reason we have licence plates , your quote does say serial number.

Not saying you are wrong but the authorities would likely want to be able to find you using the ID you have displayed and there seems to be no reasonable way to trace the registration number.

Just thinking using the states mindset, now I have a headache :cautious:
When you apply for the FMV registration using the registration number, the number you provide becomes YOUR unique license plate number, if some other vehicle has that number already, you will have to pick something else. If you get pulled over by the POPO, they will enter this number in their MDT and sure enough everything about you will pop up. You better be on your way to a parade or "the occasional weekend drive".

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the whole form had been attached OR I had taken the time to look I would not have rambled on so, I see where it is listed :ROFLMAO:

They shot themselves in the foot when they stated

"in a design and location, which conforms to the vehicle's official military design and markings."

Taken literally one would only need the markings on inside of the A pillar:cautious:
(on Army vehicles)

When you apply for the FMV registration using the registration number, the number you provide becomes YOUR unique license plate number, if some other vehicle has that number already, you will have to pick something else. If you get pulled over by the POPO, they will enter this number in their MDT and sure enough everything about you will pop up. You better be on your way to a parade or "the occasional weekend drive".

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah back when we got this law passed by the legislature in the early 90s, the registration numbers were all still on the hoods of vehicles that we were collecting at the time. I do believe that the registration number does not need to be on the outside of the vehicle to be approved by TXDMV.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah back when we got this law passed by the legislature in the early 90s, the registration numbers were all still on the hoods of vehicles that we were collecting at the time. I do believe that the registration number does not need to be on the outside of the vehicle to be approved by TXDMV.
Yep, my M151 and M422A1 had the numbers on the hood, can't remember how the 404s were marked,, I just never went the former MV route cuz I drive the crud out of every MV I have, I only drive a civy vehicle if I have to.

I think you are right as that is what the law ( at least the form) says, the question is now are we free to put unit markings we want where they were originally placed since they are not used for vehicle ID??

DREDnot

I think hes talking about recreating the unit ID markings and you guys are thinking he means serial/registration numbers.

When I was researching my M998 army reserve truck it seemed that there wasnt an army wide standard but more of a unit/commandwide guideline so that all the trucks were the same.

These were the markings that had been painted over.

63rd Regional Support Command 950th Maintenance(?) Direct Support truck 102

DSCN2329ed.jpg

DSCN7309.JPG

Last edited:

DREDnot

My guess on how your might be formatted would be
120IN 30BCT
B (XXX)

As far as the requirement for a registration number in TX...I would imagine the six digit serial(VIN) from the data plate on the title and the stenciled registration number in the footwell for a "license plate" number?

Last edited:

phillamb168

I was under the impression that, just like vanity plates, I could pick what I wanted used as the numbers to put on the back and front of the truck - which would have been 30BCT 1/120IN B## or whatever, so the 'plate' would be 30bct1120 or something like that (too long I know) but it looks like I can't use that and have to use the registration number, and it sounds like the least worst option in terms of OEM vs civilian is smack in the middle of the bumpers.

I'm now considering just getting regular plates to save myself the hassle... but then there's our friend DMV inspections + emissions regs (I'm in Collin county). Which makes me skeert.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can get former MV plates instead of using the vin/registration number, no inspection required, same cost I think and same rules.
I am no lawyer but the wording
"in a design and location, which conforms to the vehicle's official military design and markings."

That would seem if you listed the registration number on the form all you would need to be legal is the designated location for the registration number which you should already have on the inside of the A pillar

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How old is your R1, most are around 2007, a former military vehicle must be 25 years old or older to obtain former military registration in Texas, otherwise it must be treated as a regular vehicle, inspections etc.

Attachments

Last edited:

phillamb168

How old is your R1, most are around 2007, a former military vehicle must be 25 years old or older to obtain former military registration in Texas, otherwise it must be treated as a regular vehicle, inspections etc.
It is a mid-to-late 80s 998 (serial in the 500k range) but I believe rebuilt in 2005 with the R1 designation

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a mid-to-late 80s 998 (serial in the 500k range) but I believe rebuilt in 2005 with the R1 designation
Yes, 500K would be a truck that went through RECAP, Probably at Red River, must be a real low 500K as the program was put together in 2004 so 2005 would be an early R1
It does not matter to the state, it will be titled at what ever year it was sold as, what ever your SF-97 says or the title paperwork you filled out on GP.
So 2005 would make you not eligible for FMV plates until 2030

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks