• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Texas Noob excited to be here

ntxcop

Hello Everyone! I found this website several months ago and have been reading non-stop every since! I have to say right off the bat that this website is full of some of the most helpful and knowledgeable people I've ever seen in a public forum. Every post that I've read requesting assistance has been answered with kindness and a high level of professionalism. You should all be proud of how AWESOME this website is.

I'm honored to be a new member and hope to be a good contributor in the future. I lost a bid on a 5 ton last month, but hope to win one in a few weeks. It seems there are a lot of 5 tons up for bid around the corner from my house here in Fort Worth.

When I win a truck, I'll probably be seeking help with it. There seems to be tons of resources on the site, as I said, this place is amazing. If any of you guys are ever in Fort Worth, picking up a vehicle, or passing through, don't hesitate to drop a line if you need some help. I learn by getting my hands dirty, better than reading a book, but can be a great go-fer or assistant! http://test.steelsoldiers.com/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

If there's any members in the Fort Worth area that are going to be doing some preventive maintenance on their deuces or 5 tons, I'd love to come assist to get some hands on education. In my former life, I worked as a tech for Pitney Bowes and worked on large machinery. But for the past 12 years I've worked in a different career field that took me away from wrenches and sockets. I've never worked on large vehicles or diesels though, only cars / trucks.

I grew up an ARMY Brat and lived all up and down the eastern US, and Germany. I love military vehicles, used to crawl all over them as a kid on Armed Forces Day. I miss those days.. Anyways, I apologize for rambling on, but want to close by saying again how honored I am to be here.

K9Vic

Welcome, I see you are a Peace Officer going by your user ID & pictures? I see you are in front of what looks like a Eurocopter AS-350, are you also a pilot? I am not but love helicopters.

Have you previewed anything yet at Saginaw? If you have not let me know when you are going as I have a M1031 and can slave jump them if a 5 ton has the right NATO plug. I will be looking at the CUCV trucks.

Woodsplinter

Welcome from a fellow donut-eater! (now retired after 30 yrs)
Maybe we can swap war stories sometime!
There's a lot of great people on this site who won't hesitate to jump in and help

ntxcop

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the nice welcome!

Welcome, I see you are a Peace Officer going by your user ID & pictures? I see you are in front of what looks like a Eurocopter AS-350, are you also a pilot? I am not but love helicopters.

Have you previewed anything yet at Saginaw? If you have not let me know when you are going as I have a M1031 and can slave jump them if a 5 ton has the right NATO plug. I will be looking at the CUCV trucks.
I am still a "Donut Eater", have 12 years under my belt and love the job. I am not a pilot, but it's on my bucket list. I entered the ARMY directly out of high school as a Huey Helicopter Mechanic, and wanted to go to Warrant Officer Flight Candidate School but never made it. I took a tour of the Grand Canyon in the helicopter pictured behind me.

I haven't previewed any of the trucks for this auction. I went out last month and looked over the ones that were up for auction then. I would LOVE to go out there with you. I have the contact name and number for the Saginaw site and can call and schedule a preview. I'm available Monday if you're available. I'll send you an email and we'll work out the something!

AGAIN, Thank you all for having me and I look forward to forging some great friendships here.

combatmech

Welcome to Steel Soldiers!! I'll be moving back to the Dallas area in a little less than two months.
There is a Noth Texas MV club of sorts.....Good luck in your serach for a vehicle. There are tons of folks that can help here and in your local area!!
Welcome aboard!!

ntxcop

My fellow brothers in Green Insanity!

I won a GL Auction for an M923 5-Ton last week. I previewed the trucks and was fortunate enough to win one of the top 3 trucks for bid in the auction.

The EUC has been removed from the trucks and I recovered it over two days (Monday and Tuesday).

After installing 4 new batteries, the BEAST fired up on the first flick of the switch!!!!

The only problem I had was the air system / brakes were acting up. I finally caged the brakes and had a friend with a deuce pull my new green baby to my house.

This truck is so much better than I originally thought. The sides and troop seats were stored under the bed and it has the high water fording kit installed.

I'm officially a member of the Military Vehicle Collector's Club here in Fort Worth now and will have my truck in running shape before long. :beer:

Attached are some pics of my new baby!

Attachments

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard, always nice to see fellow LEOs joining...glad you still enjoy the job, I just hit my 20 and have had enough; I've just started my retirement countdown.

That truck looks to be a great score! Nice!

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome, your in good company around here. Looks like you scored on the 923.

I usually don't like cops but you seem ok,......lol

Welcome to the Green Iron Laughing Academy, and congrats on your new aquisition! That 923 is a nice looking truck! I'm sure once you get all the bugs worked out, you'll have something you can climb into and go anywhere you want to go and have all kinds of fun getting there! If you're anything like most of us here, you'll get every little adjustment and fix done and look for excuses to take her for a drive. Don't hesitate for a moment! Drive that beast to the grocery store! Go take that camping, fishing, hunting trip and marvel at how much room you have left over after you get your gear all loaded up. If you find the right lake or river, you can just back the old girl right to the water's edge and fish right from the bed!
I grew up right down the street from a National Guard Armory and spent a good chunk of my childhood putting on old fatigues, and jungle boots and crawling all over the deuces, Jeeps, and APCs that were parked behind the armory.
Now, 30+ years later and I'm just shy of 6 months ownership of a 1972 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 with plans for a low-budget bobber and I'm still in the "pinch me" period. I often find myself staring at my big green beast, (Missy) formally named "Project Corporal Punishment" and I'm not so hesitant to admit that, since a thread a few months ago found many of us here admitting to just walking outside and staring at our green iron. I'm sure you will too!
Anyhoo, enough of my rambling. Enjoy that 923 and have fun talking to all those people who are curious about your truck! It always starts with "Is that a real army truck?", which leads to "Where did you get it?", followed by "Can you really own that legally?". After having that conversation a few times, you'll develop a speech you'll recite like a Grand Canyon tour guide.

Waving a hand from the Inland Empire of Southern California. [thumbzup]

Lee L

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great looking truck...Congratulations! I am non-patiently waiting on mine to get here from Hooks :mrgreen:

I am going to drop you a PM.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks