• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Texas Noob excited to be here

ntxcop

197th Inf

Welcome and congrats on the truck
I grew up an ARMY Brat. Born in Ft. Lee VA, and lived on the east coast and in Germany most of my life. My step-father was in the 197th Infantry Brgd on Kelly Hill in Fort Benning GA back in the mid 80's (82-87). He was a Mess Sergeant, ran a dining facility at HHC. If memory serves me correctly, the 197th Infantry Div was disbanded right before we moved. It was nice to see the patch on here, reminds me of my ste-father, (he passed in 1997). Not meaning to be a downer, just wanted to let you know that seeing the patch made me smile!

Last edited:

ntxcop

Thanks

Thanks everyone!

I am truly blessed, and yes Red Beard, I find myself going outside several times every hour to just look at the truck and stand in awe of the truck. :p

ntxcop

Update on my new truck:

I've learned so much over the past two weeks. It has definitely been a wild ride!

I put some info on the Military Vehicle Collector Club thread that I'm a member of but I thought I'd share some of it here.

I was very lucky to win the truck I did, for the price I did. When I went to recover the truck, Gov Liquidation had moved the lot of trucks from the Saginaw base to the TruckCenter.com lot, which is just down the street from the base in Saginaw. Jerry, the head boss at the TruckCenter.com location assisted me with attempting to jump the truck. It didn't work, so he sold me 4 truck batteries at his cost ($45 a piece). I put the batteries in and the truck fired right up. I am totally amazed, as this truck has sat in a lot for 6 years rusting away.

A fellow MVCC club member (Hawkeye) brought his deuce to pull my new baby home. I had no illusions about driving this beast, as I am not licensed yet to drive it, and I do not have it registered yet (I do have insurance). I've read the manuals, and operating guides but though it would be easy enough to just pull it home. It would have been, but Ol' Man Murphey reared his ugly head and the truck would not build up pressure to release the brakes. It was getting late in the day, so we decided to leave and return the next day. I arrived early in the morning and caged the brakes so they would unlock. After I caged the brakes, I turned on the truck, and noticed the pressure started to build. I think a spring valve or something along that line was struck, since the truck had been sitting for so long, and caging the brakes unstuck it.

Hawkeye's deuce pulled the big green beast to my house with no problems. Upon arrival at home, I noticed a puff of smoke in the cab. Then I smelled burning. I jumped from the cab and ran to the passenger side and opened the door. I then lifted the seat and the batteries had shorted on the bottom side of the seat, and caught fire. Two of the new batteries had leaks and were leaking acid into the battery well and out the drain plug to my driveway. The fire was put out and the batteries removed. I then realized there was wood mounted in the bottom of the battery box and was able to remove the wood, reinstall the pads, and then reinstall two of the batteries, instead of the four I purchased.

Next, I noticed the power steering was not working. It took all 240 lbs I had to get the beast in my driveway. I checked the powersteering fluid and it was low. I purchased a 5 gallon bucket of hydraulic oil and put some in the powersteering reservoir. I powered up the beast, and the power steering started working.

The more I mess with the beast, the more it seems to come to life. I think it was just stiff from sitting for so long. The final problem I've found is a loud hissing noise after I turn off the engine. I was able to track it to a valve between the frame rails. I removed the valve and observed the side had split. I've got a new valve on order and hope it will be the last part needed for a little while.

I've started stripping the paint and plan on repainting it in the next 2 weeks.

I'm attaching some new pics of the mishaps along the way. I put a post in classified looking for the valve and had a response in 30 minutes telling me where to find one. Again, you guys truly are amazing!

Attachments

ntxcop

Update:

I got the valve in from smittyjr355 yesterday. Installed the valve today and fired the Green Beast up. Both air tanks went to 125 psi and held.

I then lubed up the chasis and all the steering components. The power steering is working great now. I backed the Beast up and pulled it back into the driveway several times. Seems to be working just fine. I haven't detected any more problems at this point.

Did some sanding on the rust sponts and large paint drips from the Marine Corps first rate paint job, and covered the bare metal with some Rustoleum rust inhibiting primer. Hope to be painting it in the next 2 to 3 days.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks