• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

texas rally anyone???

Barrman

One of the security guys at Easterwood is in charge of the trails and inspections at that park off 47. I drove my M715 to go fly one of the A&M flying club planes last month and he pulled his security truck up to me, jumped out and started talking about how he "needs" a truck like that. If you are working with the park, mention the security guy at the airport and mention my truck. If you get him on the phone or in person, he will probably try really hard to make it so we can bring our trucks and play.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the security guys at Easterwood is in charge of the trails and inspections at that park off 47. I drove my M715 to go fly one of the A&M flying club planes last month and he pulled his security truck up to me, jumped out and started talking about how he "needs" a truck like that. If you are working with the park, mention the security guy at the airport and mention my truck. If you get him on the phone or in person, he will probably try really hard to make it so we can bring our trucks and play.
That would be awesome.

blacktop_one

I'm definitely interested - could drive up from Houston, easy! I like the idea of an event with more than just trailriding, being a deuce newbie, I'm not sure I'm up to any serious off-roading yet!

Barrman

I can do that. Let us know prices and schedule.

To bad the next weekend isn't open. The Brent Mullins show is the 20th just a few miles away from the part. BMJP gets real annoyed when people show up with vehicles that aren't perfectly restored to his standards. They get mad when you up with a 396 powered M715. It would be fun to watch them as a huge bunch of us roll in and swarm their swap meet.

Last edited:

nofearnohope

I have confirmed with Brent Mullin's people that we are welcome to join there "Open House" on the 19th and 20th, however we will be there with everyone else. I still have the Brazos Valley Off Road Ranch reserved for now for the 13th and 14th, which will just be Steel Soldiers members. I am still working on details for whether or not we do a local MV show for the public this first time around. I am setting things up so we can have a swap meet. Please let me know if you have a preference between the 2 weekends as far as the activities go.

Barrman

Oh yeah, we are "welcome" at the open house. However, they will park us away from the "real" military vehicles. As in WWII perfectly restored stuff. At least they have done that to me in both my M715 and my stock 1971 M35A2.

By park away, I mean in the regular parking area (field a long walk from the show) for all visitors and not with the "real" military vehicles that are part of the show and display.

nofearnohope

All the more reason to do our own thing. What do ya'll think about getting the local military recruiters involved for running a show and let them handle the costs and logistics?

Barrman

Are you sure they will allow us to run our MV's in the park? I called a year or so ago and was told that my stock M715 could not be allowed in because it doesn't have a permanant top or roll cage. That would keep the M35's away as well.

Us M715 guys have had 4 M715 state wide gatherings in the past 5 years. (Ike caused us to cancel the 2008 event.) We did Gilmer one year and have been going to a private ranch owned by fellow SS member Kwai near Uvalde the last few times. I have organized or attended 3 national M715 gatherings as well. A few things have been learned.

Have a restroom or a big woods.

Have a place to set up tents.

Have a place we can have a camp fire.

Involving anyone not in our mindset (Those not yet infected with green iron disease) only leads to bad things.

We need cell service and a fuel station nearby as well.

Set it up however you want, but involving other groups and thinking they are going to pay our way or even contribute is wishful thinking to me. Most of us are veterans of the Guard, Reserve or active duty. All a recruiter will get from me is stories around the camp fire. That isn't using their time very good.

nofearnohope

I have checked with the owner and our vehicles are allowed even though they have no roll cage or permenant hard top.

There is a lot of woods and a large "clubhouse" with fully functional men and women's restrooms and showers.

They are several places to set up tents.

I am certain there are several places for camp fires, as well.

We have cell service out there and we are less than a mile from the nearest fuel station.

Not involving anyone in the off road park part of the event. The only place I was considering including anyone else is if we decide to have an MV show for the public to come see our trucks to eliminate the headache and financial burden of setting that up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks