• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TH400 Issues, and more

Zeus51

So I had my m1008 sandblasted and undercoated and painted. I was dropped off at the paint place today and as I’m leaving, I only have first gear. I had all three running perfect when I dropped it off. Any help is appreciated, so I can get this home. Could there be something clogged with blast powder on the engine or transmission that I can’t think of?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
29 hours later, are you still stranded?

Zeus51

29 hours later, are you still stranded?
Well, I had the truck towed. Here’s where we are now. I had an extra vacuum modulator. So this morning, I ran down and installed the modulator and connector. Hopped in the truck excited to get it moving and the engine would turn over but not crank. Once it was at my house, I got to looking under the truck. Since leaving my truck with this paint shop. They’ve created burnt marks on my battery terminals and they beat the shit out of my starter. I know this bc of the scuffs and scarring to the starter. And now my starter bracket is missing the stud to secure the bracket. The truck had no issues before leaving it with them and the starter was a three year old gear reduction starter. I also don’t recognize one of the electrical connectors that’s on the starter. And I’m starting to think they swapped it. I’m charging the batteries tonight and will try again once I have a new bolt for the starter bracket.

Doghead, do you know if I can just use a hex bolt in place of the starter bracket stud?

DeadParrot

IIRC the stud is 1/4". Should be easy to find at a box store. Not sure about the spacing but you might be able to simulate a stud with a jam nut on a headless bolt. Or screw a bolt all the way through from the other side of the starter ear.

Sounds like someone hopped in the truck that didn't know about the wait light and just started cranking like they would with a gas motor. That would explain the burn marks on the battery terminals and the replaced terminal on the starter. Probably let some magic smoke out of the terminal and/or cable.

cucvrus

Burnt wiring, starter banged on, stud broken. Battery cable lug altered. Bad deal. But not sure what the guy at the paint shop has to do with a transmission not shifting out of 1st gear. That transmission will shift without any vacuum to the modulator. Not nice but it will shift. For reasons such as this I pick and choose which vehicles I want to get involved with working on. I actually turn away more than I take in. Many people have vehicles that are past due for everything and have been hacked. Fear of a costly repair keeps me from even getting involved. Happy Holidays and Good Luck with that deal. Be Safe.

Zeus51

Update.... I still have a transmission problem.

ok. I fixed the starter issue and replaced the vacuum modulator and rubber connector hose. Once I got the truck to “start”, the truck still only has first gear. I guess it’s time to put the vacuum gauge on it? Are there any other ideas besides modulator and transmission fluid level?

Zeus51

I’ve had this truck for 5 years. This is the first time I’ve left it anywhere for service. Otherwise, I’ve always completed all the maintenance needed. Ever since I picked up my truck, it’s felt like it’s a situation that royalflush55 describes. I guess it’s just a matter of trial and error and finding what’s been changed. I emailed the foreman, of course he maintains the position that painting it wouldn’t cause issues but it doesn’t explain his crew beating the shit out of my starter when it’s new and working fine. Now I’m just venting. Sorry guys.

sometime this week, I’ll check the governor and other connections. Also the oil filler is puffing smoke when the truck is running. I don’t know what that’s about either. I guess I’ll just add it to the list.

Zeus51

First... Merry Christmas everyone and may all of you find the time off to work on your projects this holiday!

Second... time for a chuckle. After everything in this thread, I’ve finally located what was causing the transmission’s issue. You know how I originally asked if there was a vent or something that could have been clogged with soda blasting or paint? At 1030 last night I was lying around watching Christmas movies with the fam. And it hit me. I’ve been so focused on the actual transmission underneath the truck, that I completely forgot to look in the floorboard by the accelerator. That’s right! They painted over the kickdown switch. Not the solenoid. But the switch in the cab. So when I pressed the accelerator leaving the shop all the paint and blasting gunk wadded up and caused it to stick open. I cleaned it out and lubricated it a bit and it was fixed. It was definitely a palm to forehead moment. Then I slept better than I have in days....

Attachments

Last edited:

cucvrus

First... Merry Christmas everyone and may all of you find the time off to work on your projects this holiday!

Second... time for a chuckle. After everything in this thread, I’ve finally located what was causing the transmission’s issue. You know how I originally asked if there was a vent or something that could have been clogged with soda blasting or paint? At 1030 last night I was lying around watching Christmas movies with the fam. And it hit me. I’ve been so focused on the actual transmission underneath the truck, that I completely forgot to look in the floorboard by the accelerator. That’s right! They painted over the kickdown switch. Not the solenoid. But the switch in the cab. So when I pressed the accelerator leaving the shop all the paint and blasting gunk wadded up and caused it to stick open. I cleaned it out and lubricated it a bit and it was fixed. It was definitely a palm to forehead moment. Then I slept better than I have in days....
That will do it for sure. Good does not always triumph over evil. Eventually, no one will make anything because of it. Which leads to my last point, trust. Trust can be granted by others outright but is often earned over time. Once you have proven that you can be trusted, you normally have won a customer, or friend, for life. I felt that something simple had occurred. Happy Holidays.

dougco1

Great catch

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks