• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

th400 output question

Alucard-HD

Thanks for your help I'm gonna hold out I'm uff on everything I own and was gonna swap my 205 in while it was out I plan on doing sleds fourwheeling and towing. While we are talking about trannies and such will a 203 yoke work on a 205
IMO dont waste your time with a 203 unless its doubled with a 205, They are super heavy, huge, and a full time case, they sell part time kits for them. I have one that came of a Turbo 350, you can have it lol the only good thing is its a fixed yoke and not a slip yoke. at least on mine anyway.

dmc-4359

2x4 and 4x4 turbo 400 transmission cases are not identical the 4x4 models use a hd case which has thicker ribs cast into it around the torque converter areas. The cast aluminum dust cover will not bolt on a 2x4 case. The 2x4 case uses a stamped steel or even plastic dust cover held on with small screws. The cast aluminum dust cover is made to also hold the strut rods that go to each front motor mount. I would not even consider putting a turbo 400 from a 2x4 in any of my trucks. Because of this. Sit the 2 side by side and compare the difference in thickness of the case/metal in bellhousing area.they also made 2 different output shaft lengths in the 4x4 models.

Then the limitation must be with me, I have never seen a th400 that didn't have the cast aluminum dust cover as you describe. Arguably that sample is limited to about 11 unique transmissions for various drag racing applications and the handful I've seen with regards to trucks. I even bought a 2wd th400 last year and it is identical save for the tailshaft details. Dumb luck on my part I suppose.

POOR WHITE BOY

Gm put the turbo 400 in cars and trucks thru out the 1970's buick,pontiac,olds,cadilac included. 1977 was the first year for the turbo 400 to be used in a 4x4 truck - and the 4x4 case with cast aluminum bolt on dust cover...........................open up any gm truck service manual/parts manual from the 1970's or 1980's - it will show you the difference between the two and the different part numbers for the dust covers and cases

dmc-4359

I wasn't disagreeing with you, just pointing out where my conclusions came from. I'd hate for someone to get the impression that I only know something if I have read it off the intertubes. It seems to me that the heavier duty 4x4 transmission was simply robust and popular enough to have been swapped into a lot of 2 wheel drive applications.

I read in a few places where the th400, when first introduced, was capable of dealing with 450 ft/lbs of torque which is a gracious plenty more than the cucv's put out. Is the heavier duty case simply needed for the added stresses from offroading?

POOR WHITE BOY

The tranny that i use in my sled pulling trucks uses a 4x4 hd case all the internals from a th475 which was used in motorhomes - it has straight cut gears in it - the th 475 only used a 2x4 case but most of the time had a large parking brake mounted on the tailshaft

ODdave

just throwing this out there (not to say anyone is incorrect and something weird couldn't have happend) but i bought a 1008 with all the original powertrain from GL and it did not have a hd case.................

dstang97

UPDATE: I just pulled the 2wd tranny and 208 combo and both output shafts are the same length. I know the tranny originally came out of a van but has a stamped steel dust cover. Im gonna run it and see what happens worst comes to worst im out 100 bucks.

Do cucv's have the braces like the gas job where they go from motor mount to dust cover?

POOR WHITE BOY

update: i just pulled the 2wd tranny and 208 combo and both output shafts are the same length. I know the tranny originally came out of a van but has a stamped steel dust cover. Im gonna run it and see what happens worst comes to worst im out 100 bucks.

do cucv's have the braces like the gas job where they go from motor mount to dust cover?
yes they did have them and a cast aluminum cover when new

dstang97

THink about how many times these trucks switch hands and every time some person touches something it has "spare parts" "makes it go faster" My m1008 was really molested.

dstang97

Im putting that motor in my boat with a carb setup. There was a ton of rust but I did get a sweet 400/205 dana 60 14bolt drw, motor for boat, 9ft plow and tons of other junk $500

Alucard-HD

No iam good thanks . I remeMber when they came out - brand new - they were very fast compared to the 1986 models with a carb
Was the throttle body 454 gutless? i've heard that alot, since your into major torque due to sled pulling i've figured you would know.

ODdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddave
just throwing this out there (not to say anyone is incorrect and something weird couldn't have happend) but i bought a 1008 with all the original powertrain from gl and it did not have a hd case.................

post some photos.............................

parted and sold alredy, sry. i have another non hd 4x4 but it is civy and very well could have been molested.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks