• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TH400 questions - replace transmission from hmmwv

sirmax123

Hi!

After monthes I finally got my "new" (but used) transmission instead of my cracked.

So, no I have some questions, could you please help me.

1. Transmissions looks equally. But! when I tried to change gear on my old one I have Parking, R, N, D, 2 and 1. So, 6 points. But on "new" I have one less. Could you please explain me how can it be and is it something wrong? As I know "new" transmission was dismounted from HMMWV. I was able to get only this transmission - all other were too expensive (mail from USA to Ukraine is around $1000 for transmission)
So, can I use transmission I got with my CUCV?

2. Oil into transmission
I'm sorry for questions looks like I was banned in google, but really I read in English not so fast. So I'm asking you to find links on manuals - it is too slow to read all from start to the end.
I need put oil into transmission (and into torque converter?)
So could you please give me step-by-step manual how to do this and what problems can I get with this?
I'm going to put oil into probe hole until I get right level, is it OK? What about torque converter? (really it is not clear how it works)

3. Oil into transfer case
I don't see any problems, ATF it the same as for Transmission, right?

Thanks a lot,
Max

Emmett

Hello Max,
As far as I know the transmissions are the same with the exception of the "park" position and the park pawl that would lock the flex plate. I would change the part from the CUCV transmission to the Hummv transmission. Put another way, the Hummv transmission does not have the park position but the CUCV does. This can be removed from the old CUCV transmission and installed on the new HUMMV transmission.

When I change a transmission I take the torque converter off the new one and pour about 2 quarts down the neck of the converter and then re-install it on the transmission. Install the transmission and service with the required ammount of fluid in the service tube.

Yes, the transfer case also uses ATF and is the same as the transmission.

I hope there are other responses to this thread and they will correct me if I am wrong. It has been several years sinse I have done this.

Your English is just fine, in fact, better than some where English is their native language! :).

sirmax123

thanks a lot for your reply!

So, I googled a little and it looks really HMMWV transmission does not have parking position.
But I don't understand how can it be.
So what to do if I need to park my truck with such transmission? In which position it is safe to start engine? in "N" like manual transmission? Is it possible to add parking position from my old transmission?
Do someone have pictures of parts to be moved?

Emmett

Max, as I understand it, yes, your old parts on the CUCV transmission can be removed and installed on the HMMWV transmission. To be honest I am not sure what all needs to be used.I would look closely at both and you should be able to see the difference as it would be an exterrior as apposed to the inside of the transmission....if all else fails you can start your CUCV in the N position. Make sure you use your parking brake though.
Good luck.

sirmax123

Guys, thanks a lot for your replies|!

If start in the N position is safe I will better do not touch transmission until it works.
I just rebuilt my rear brakes and parking brake works good. So I left transmission as-is and will rebuild transmission next year.
I have a lot of tasks to do with my truck before it will be ready.

Finally, if I set N (on trans) - P (on gear stick) it will be safe, I guess. (I hope it is clear what I'd like to do - to avoid engine start if transmission not in "N" )

Thanks a lot for your help!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks