• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

th400 shot or not??

84cucv1ton

the guy that does my tranny work says the torque converter is spitting out metal pieces and failing. so that goes through the tranny and just wrecks it.

heard from a friend he just wants to sell my a tranny. all i should need to do is. replace the torque converter and the pieces are in the pan and didnt go thought the tranny. so new torque converter, filter and some atf. flush the cooler lines and i will be good..

so is this right? thanks

jimh1985

Trans

I would say yes he is trying to get you to pay more. the trans has a filter in it, so I would take off the pan look at the filter make sure none of it got though.
I would say a new converter a filter and fluid should do it for ya, if the converter is the problem... I dont trust transmission shops to be honest.

Westech

CPL
you think that no shavings went in to the trans? What is the converter pump right from the pan? come on guys..... if there is junk in the pan that junk went in to the pump and the converter first. You can sure just put a converter in and flush the snot out of it and change the filter, but for sure parts hit the pump and other internal parts. The 100% correct way would be to rebuild the trans, insuring that its not going to fail and leave you on the side of the road. The Westech way would be to slam in a new converter.... just dont diss the guy for doing it the correct way.

rickt44498

trans opinion -- pro -vs- am

if your friend is wrong... is he willing to pay the second R&R labor cost and any additional parts ??

if the trans guy is "REALLY " your trans guy... why don't u trust his opinion.??

my trans guy rebuilt the trans in my 95 caprice ex police 9C1 LT 1...
i drive 75 miles EACH WAY.. EVERY DAY... 75-85 mph with no problems..

my trans guy was recomended to me by three independent referrals.

shavings in a pan can be metal or fiber, it's in your cooler also, which needs to be flushed...

u can take the crap shoot approach and just throw minimal parts at it untill u get it right, but unless your in severe financial straights, do it right...the 1st time.

OldGoat

You should go look & confirm what he saw, if your in doubt. If it was my money, I would rebuild the tranny. The turbo 400 is a cheap transmission to rebuild, and a pain to pull/install. Just curious, what is he quoting to rebuild it anyways?

bronconut

i was a mechanic for many years and i find it humorus when people go to THEIR mec, to get an opinion then say hes trying to screw me for more money, if oy dont trust him to give an honest quote then dont go there. that being said, never a bad idea to have two shops look. just like when a doctor says we need to cut your leg off. i sure as heck am gonna get a second opinion. im not trying to be an ass, im just saying

you think that no shavings went in to the trans? What is the converter pump right from the pan? come on guys..... if there is junk in the pan that junk went in to the pump and the converter first. You can sure just put a converter in and flush the snot out of it and change the filter, but for sure parts hit the pump and other internal parts. The 100% correct way would be to rebuild the trans, insuring that its not going to fail and leave you on the side of the road. The Westech way would be to slam in a new converter.... just dont diss the guy for doing it the correct way.
After working in different trans shops for a decade, then opening up my own, I have to agree there are some real rip-off artists out there. I have found being absolutely honest does all the advertising I ever needed. Anyway, the fluid from the pan does enter the pump first, but it is filtered, so any shavings from your TC will be filtered out. That is not to say I would agree to just replace the TC. I would rebuild everything while it is out. Also, I would pay to have the cooler flushed with hot trannsmission fluid as I have seen the difference between this and cold mineral spirits, which will do fine if the cooler lines are not filled with muck, but more than likely, the TC was cooked and the fluid has turned to pudding in all the tight areas.
Put it this way: Are you going to be as happy with the same trans behind a new TC, or a completely rebuilt trans behind a new TC? If you can turn a wrench, rebuild the trans yourself. TH400s are the easist trans on the planet to rebuild - even easier than the TH350, or 3L60, as the pros call 'em (The TH400 is the 3L80, and it's overdrive cousin is the famous 4L80E)
Anyway, if you buy the ATSG manual off ebay, it will show you how to do everything to the trans, including diagnosing.

OL AG '89

Did you say 500 for a rebuilt TH400 and a NEW TC?????
that has to be the bargain of the decade.
I got a quote in Houston for about 1500....... rebuilt TH400, new TC
all flushed and ready to roll.....
for 500 I'd do that in a heartbeat
If you've used the guy before and he did you a good job, why question what he is saying now?
Is your friend in the transmission business, or just trying to "help" you by selling you an old unproven transmission???

Do the rebuild and drive away happy:-D:driver:

I usually charge about $800 for a bench job with rebuilding a TH400 and a new HD, 6-lug TC, along with a modification to the center support, called a dual-direct feed, and a shift kit from Transgo installed. $500 for a basic rebuild and new TC is more than fair. Just make sure the cooler lines are clean!

I usually would charge $125 per move, which is either installing or pulling it out. If someone wanted me to round-trip it, than I would usually charge them a flat $200, so for one of my TH400 jobs, one would expect to pay around $1000, but as most of my customers would tell you, they never drove such a nice shifting truck like the ones I build. Of course, I have to give all the credit to Gil Younger and his sons, as they are the ones who design the Transgo shiftkits, which IMHO, are better than B&M or any of the others.
:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks