• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TH400 Torque converter

detroitdiesel4x4

I need to replace my flex plate soon. Soon, soon. From what I understand the flex plate is on the torque converter. When I un-mate the trans from the engine, does the torque converter stay on the engine side? Does it slide back with the trans? Is it bolted on anywhere or does it just hangout there? And when I re-assemble, I hear its very important to make sure its on the right way or it blows up or something? What do I do to get the "turn-click" Or whatever. Does anybody have pictures at all? I seem to be lost. This is my first automatic I've ever really messed with. I understand the whole "slide back 6inches +/-" concept so we're good to go there. I'm just curious as to what I do when I get it all separated.

wayne pick

Unbolt the torque converter from the flexplate and pull the trans straight and level back from the engine. You will have to support the engine to keep it level with the trans or it will drop from the rear and ruin your day. The converter will stay with the trans. Keep a hand on the converter when you pull the trans back to make sure it does not slide off the trans input shaft.

on1wheel01

I just removed mine had it rebuilt and re installed. I unbolted it from the flex plate before taking the trans apart from the engine. while the tranny was still up . When installing it back it was turn push turn push for 3 gears IIRC. Good luck.

detroitdiesel4x4

Unbolt the torque converter from the flexplate and pull the trans straight and level back from the engine. You will have to support the engine to keep it level with the trans or it will drop from the rear and ruin your day. The converter will stay with the trans. Keep a hand on the converter when you pull the trans back to make sure it does not slide off the trans input shaft.
So i dont have to remove or install the converter? Just leave it be and make sure it doesnt move?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
L o o k ... a t...t h e ... p i c t u r e,... t h e... t m... n u m b e r... i s... i n... t h e... p i c t u r e.

wayne pick

So i dont have to remove or install the converter? Just leave it be and make sure it doesnt move?
Refer to the TM doghead posted. You will see the converter will stay with the trans. If it slides off the trans, use the turn and push method as decribed by on1wheel01. With the converter tangs set properly to the pump, you will feel resistance when turning the converter. When reinstalling the trans, there should be little or no resistance when you mate the trans to engine. DO NOT pull the trans into the engine with trans bolts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks