• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thanks to maxspeed3 for the help and tie6044 for the parts

CMXterra

Transmission swap - Thanks to maxspeed3 for the help and tie6044 for the parts

Little update. Major repair.

I did a 780 mile round trip over 2 days and had a little mishap.

On my way home (about 3 hours from home) I started hearing a clicking sound coming from the transmission while coasting in 5th gear. Thinking back I actually started hearing the sound about 4 hours from home but it was not really bad till about 3 hours.

So anyway. I was careful not to coast in 5th and was gentle with the gear shift. She got me home.
Next morning I cracked open the transmission (about a 15 minute job) and found this.
IMAGE_105 (1).jpg

Ok This is not good. But considering that I drove at least 4 hours (guessing more) on this without 5th gear totally blowing up I consider myself lucky. It was also a testament to how robust the transmissions are. So call up my local buddy that sells parts and low and behold he has a pull out transmission. So off I went.

IMAGE_106.jpg

Next day I went about taking off the broken one. It is a divorced T-case and there are no cross members holding the transmission on so it was not to difficult.
rear of transmission
IMAGE_107.jpeg

wider view of transmission
IMAGE_109.jpeg

front drive shaft out of the way
IMAGE_110.jpg

floor plate removed
IMAGE_112.jpg

table stand ready to accept transmission
IMAGE_113.jpg

dropped and out of the way
IMAGE_115.jpg

This was all done from about 5 till 8 p.m. It was getting late so I close up shop for the day.

Last edited:

CMXterra

So the second day started about the same time (5 p.m.) and it was cooler so this made for much happier repairs.

Made a cradle to help position the "new" transmission
IMAGE_116.jpg

Friend that came over to help (easy to work on but HEAVY parts)
IMAGE_117.jpg

getting the "new" one into position and on the table lift
IMAGE_119.jpg

getting there
IMAGE_120.jpg

Just about
IMAGE_121.jpg

And on! Bolted back up and re-connected the clutch linkage and the two drive shafts.
IMAGE_122.jpg

I did a quick shift test that night then a full drive around the neighborhood the next morning. Good to go.
This would have been a one day fix had I started in the morning and just powered through it. But without help it would not have happened so thanks to my friends that helped out.
Just big heavy legos for adults. And it shifts smoother than my old transmission.

More important than tools, good friends are what you need to work on these things. Thanks again to Scott and Justin!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks