• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

That could have been bad.

Was driving my M813A1 from my house to Fort Sam Houston today. As I was cruising along at 55 MPH on I35 (it is about 13 miles from my place to FSH, all freeway miles) I had a box truck pull up next to me honk his horn and point at my front end. I immediately pulled over to the side of the freeway and this is what I found on my front right steer tire. Limped the last mile on a service road at 10 MPH. Scary stuff. Even if you PMCS, some things just happen with no warning.

Attachments

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ask 73M819 what happens when front tires blow and then your 36,000 lb wrecker goes off the road into a ditch that then launches you airborne.

Ouchy!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a 11.00-20 NDCC on the rt front blow out at 50 mph on a deuce. It was a loud bang, the truck dropped down and was pulling hard, but controlling it was no problem.

Very observant of that box truck driver.

ke5eua

Man that was a close one. Had the same thing happen on my way to "the ham guy". Heard a loud thump, pulled over and saw the chunk missing out of the front drivers side.

HMMWV Nut

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are these tires the same tires that were on the truck when I had it? Thought you might had changed them over to singles by now. Glad to see everything turned out ok :shock: Stay safe out there!!!!

Are these tires the same tires that were on the truck when I had it? Thought you might had changed them over to singles by now. Glad to see everything turned out ok :shock: Stay safe out there!!!!
Yep same tires, plan on keeping it as is. I am not a big fan of the singles. The bed is high enough as it is, lol.

Would it be unreasonable to think that you guys with a 5 ton or deuce ought to have new commercial truck tires on the front instead of old NDTs?
Not at all, But since this truck came out of service 2 years ago the tires weren't that old. And if they were free I would be more than happy to have commercial tires all the way around. but buying a house to live in takes priority over buying some of the G177 tires everyone is selling.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks