• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The 755 Dollar M54A2 Five Ton

Hello All, Its been a while since I was on the site here. For most of 2015 nagging health and job issues occupied my time. Well I am back up and running.

I saw this truck up for auction and had to buy it. I ended up paying $755 dollars for it. Its a 1975 M54A2 Five ton with the Mack engine. It was operated by the Taylor fire company, that is until they got into an accident and ended up mangling part of the passenger side. The battery box, fender , stack and the hangers for the tool box all got mangled. Once I bent things back in place a little, I got batteries in the beast and started it right up. It needs a little TLC and of course fender and the damaged parts but otherwise I think I got a good deal getting this truck. I still do not get what they hit to do damage like it has.

Attachments

Yes she has a winch, just replaced the usual sheared shear pin. Its also got a air intake heater. I like the fact it has the old Mack 673 engine. I used to have one in a B model mack. Its not running smooth, I think after I run it a bit it might clean up. It was sitting four years.

tobyS

Yes she has a winch, just replaced the usual sheared shear pin. Its also got a air intake heater. I like the fact it has the old Mack 673 engine. I used to have one in a B model mack. Its not running smooth, I think after I run it a bit it might clean up. It was sitting four years.

Cool...and great price. Is that a PTO direct drive for the winch? It would sure make putting a hydraulic pump on in front easier if keeping the winch was not a priority.

A guy sells surplus boxes NOS on ebay that may be good to rework for your right hand side. He sells two for a really reasonable price.

LINK DELETED

I got one and reworked it, with some additional flat plate and made a great console box plus a battery box for my generator. One would work for batteries and the other tools...and of course build in a step.

I like the style of the pre-939 series. I miss my 817. I saw pictures of one with nicely made and painted diamond plate fenders if your's proves too far gone. Nice hard top, doesn't look dented in.

Have fun. Toby

Last edited by a moderator:

AMGeneral

Good score!

The 673 is a excellent powerplant for the M39 series trucks,they don't have the power band of the later "high torque rise" Macks,but they will still out pull almost every other 5 ton,reguardless of series.

Hopefully all you will need is a filter change,the Napa numbers for the filters are as follows:

Primary filter
3080 or 3511 depending on which filter canister it has(the Mack powered units used 2 different ones)

Secondary filter

I would pull both canisters and clean them,then use the primer pump on the IP to prime the system up.

I really enjoy my 3 Mack powered 5 tons,they have a sound all their own.

Yes, its a PTO winch. I never had a problem with these , even when I had them on an old tow truck. I have to admit, I like the classic look of these trucks over the newer CAT powered trucks.

I have to check again once I remove all the fire department stickers and crud from over the data plate. Just like the hard top is perfect, except for the ten or so holes drilled in it for their emergency lights that are no longer there.

71DeuceAK

Sounds like a good score and a fun project to boot! I actually kinda like the red paint job, believe it or not. Keep us posted on how any restoration work goes!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Even with scrap in the crapper you got it for less than scrap value. That old Bulldog should serve you will. I think ya did good.

Are you going to leave it stock or do some mods?

It would look bad arsed with some super singles on it.

Keep us in the loop.

dmetalmiki

Nice truck, and a snip at the price. Now you have something to cheer you up and re-involved in. As mentioned post up pictures of the restoration. And that damage is no worse than I did some time back when I backed my trailer into the (now long sold) m54a2 5 ton. Easy fix.

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm jealous..... You 'stole' that truck, damage and all. I sold mine about a year ago and for the last three months have been kicking myself for it. The parts you need are not difficult to find, there are several dealers in the various HYMV magazines that have them, as well as occasionally being available on e-bay. Nice rig, especially with that Mack in it....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks