• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Beast Roars!!!!!!!!!!

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all,

I can't express my appreciation enough to all of the members out there who have posted information about the MEP-003a gensets in the past, both to my questions and to others questions. The information has been invaluable.

Today, 1 week after I got my sets unloaded from the trailer, I finally picked up the last filter I've been waiting on. So with all the filters replaced, fresh oil for crankcase and new batteries installed, I started to crank her over.

I followed the recommendations for a cold engine and let it preheat for one minute. Started cranking and she fired almost immediately, I left it crank for 15 seconds like the manuals say, but the oil pressure didn't come up enough to keep her running. Stopped and waited 15 seconds, cranked again, fired almost immediately but this time within a few seconds the oil pressure came up and she locked in and runs like a beast. As you can see in the video below, the engine was warm when the video was taken. I checked the 120 volt receptacles for voltage with my meter rather than trust the meters on the set. Also used my meter to verify the frequency, used another to check the 240 volts (had to play with the connections to get a good reading), yet another to monitor the battery charging circuit. Everything checks A-OK. Next step is to rig up some kind of load test and leave it under load for a few hours to give everything a good test. I'll keep ya'll posted.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSahfRgcKLU[/media]

zb39

You have an impressive amount of electrical meters!!:-D Always a good feeling to bring something back to life....Congrats, it looks and runs great!! Enjoy!

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
MuddWeiser said:
awesome I always wanted one of those!!! Mind if i ask how much you scored it for?
I won 2 during that event on GL, If memory serves I think I paid a little less than $525 for that one. Not too bad of a deal, but that's just my 2cents .

zb39 said:
You have an impressive amount of electrical meters!!:grin: Always a good feeling to bring something back to life....Congrats, it looks and runs great!! Enjoy!
Those meters are just the tip of the iceberg ZB. For me it's just the tools of the trade, and if I have to trust my life to something, I'm getting the best money can buy!

SmokeyJoeJ

Speddmon, Glad you got it running it sounds like a beast!! I Finally got my EUC approval and will pick up the MEP - 003 on THursday. I have ordered all of the filters from NAPA with no problem except the Fuel Strainer . The Fram #35070 does not come up on NAPA's system. Where did you find the fuel strainer filter and what make and model? Thanks for your help and I hope to post when I get mine running.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SmokeyJoe,

I'm glad to hear that they finally got around to clearing your EUC. Now the fun Begins, getting her home. As far as filters go, NAPA can get everything you need except for the strainer. I didn't replace mine, pull the bowl and do a good visual inspection. If it looks like it needs it, it can be disassembled and cleaned...you don't want to buy a new one unless you absolutely have to. I tracked down a supplier for the military and got a current part number and price, but it's very high when you're just buying one strainer. If you really want to replace it or NEED to replace it I can give you the information. For the money involved most people replace all 3 filters with a pair of spin-ons and be done with it.

I don't know what filters you bought, but I found out when I replaced mine that some of the research I had done about filters was incorrect. Good current part numbers are listed below.

Fuel Filter...NAPA 3113 this filter comes with the correct O-ring (5131)
Fuel Bowl O-ring...NAPA 5131 (to replace the one on the strainer bowl when you inspect it)
Oil Filter...NAPA 1004
Oil Bowl O-ring...NAPA 5108
Air Filter...NAPA 2222

The O-rings are current and available, don't let them lie to you, they may have to order them from the manufacturer in the Carolinas like they did with mine, but they can get them. The fuel filter will work but it needs some modification before it can be fitted in place. I took a 10" 3/8 drive socket extension and slid it through the center of the filter and used it to press down (gently, so you don't bend or warp the filter itself) the fins so the post will fit through the filter. You'll see what I mean as soon as you pull the old one off and compare it to a new one. Also, the new filter is a little shorter than the old one but I wasn't concerned about that because the sealing ring in the bottom of the bowl is spring loaded, and as long as the spring compresses some it should seal for the 7 to 15 pounds of fuel pressure created by the fuel pumps. If you have any questions feel free to PM me or post something, the guys on here are great sources of information.

Lastly and most importantly....POST PICTURES ASAP!!!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks