• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The best lockout hubs for a Deuce

Potluckslammy

Going to resurrect this old thread...a second time...because the subject matter is on point. As to my question, just saw Boyce is selling a set of lockout hubs for under $500. Anyone lay hands on these yet?

Dipstick

I installed Ouverson front lockout hubs on my bobbed Deuce (M35A2) six years ago. I love them. They have always worked perfectly. I'm sure the Boyce hubs are probably very good too. I don't think a company as well known as Boyce would knowingly sell an inferior product. The price sounds really good too. My Ouverson's were a bit over $600. I'll be interested to learn how you made out in the future.

Dipstick

Boyce did me good with my transmission parts and even threw in a complete gasket set for it. They are a class organization IMHO.
I think Boyce is a highly regarded company. I once read an article in Road & Track in which they took a Boyce M35A2 on road and off road. They even took it to the beach in sand. They had nothing but good things to say about the truck and what a nice job Boyce had done in refurbishing it. I sometimes wish I'd bought my Deuce from them.

Dipstick

I bought a set of the Boyce lockouts, and I believe there a rebadged AVM hubs, Ill post pictures when I get home.
Cool. You'll like them. You'll notice that it's easier to turn/steer your truck in tight quarters with the hubs on free.

dmetalmiki

Actually it is the best driving truck of all my collection. Brakes 100%,
Air power Steering, (Turns Lock to lock if required on hard concrete!).
Pre lube engine oil priming pump.
Fitted 'C' type whistling Turbo. (these units are usually normally aspirated.).
This truck is so quick and powerful its still really amazes me and is an absolute buzz to drive. It is more than capable of driving the speedometer OFF THE CLOCK!.

Everything works as it should. It took me 8 years to make it so, And it has ALL and EVERY piece of kit.
It is capable of "Hooking in line" to E.U. NATO firetrucks and pumpers,
U.S. Fire Hydrants and European And British Hydrants.
At shows the Cadets Drive and man it put out 'Display Fires'.
Viewing crowds can't believe the competence and speed the Cadets perform at.
Benny M45 and Tinygpw.
For interest I will place a couple of videos I never tire of watching.

Dipstick

Thank you for the interesting post dmetalmiki! My bobbed Deuce only weighs 11,640 lbs. and yet he isn't very fast. His whistler multi-fuel seems to run well enough. I live in mountain country so that may have something to do with it. Very few flat roads up my way.

Dipstick

I just bought a set of the Boyce hubs. ill let ya know when i put em on.
Yes, please let us know how they work out. My Brutus had Ouverson hubs. Bath PA huh? I live in Effort PA just up the road 30 miles on Rt. 33. I owned a house in Phillipsburg N.J. for decades.

kovi

ok...here goes nuthin. from the perspective ofa 30+ year toolmaker / machinist. Both hubs are put together pretty well. ouversson weighs 9.5 pounds, Boyce weighs 9 pounds. both castings are solid but, theouversson is a little heavier. both operate smoothly once installed, with the ouversson flange being thicker, they also provide new bolts and an o-ring rather than a flat hub seal. (I installed both seals). the Boyce I put on the front axle. the ouversson Ipt on the intermediate axle to make city driving easier and more tire friendly. ouversson also uses a larger bearing inside their hub. SO! that all being said... your choice should deped on your use. ifyou are gonna be dropping your front end into unknown rock, tree and otherwise solid hazards, i would say go with the ouversson. I believe they will take more of a shock and a harder hit. if your just looking for drivability? I would go with the Boyce.
the end... maybe

hubs.jpg

hubs1.jpg

hubs3.jpg

Dipstick

ok...here goes nuthin. from the perspective ofa 30+ year toolmaker / machinist. Both hubs are put together pretty well. ouversson weighs 9.5 pounds, Boyce weighs 9 pounds. both castings are solid but, theouversson is a little heavier. both operate smoothly once installed, with the ouversson flange being thicker, they also provide new bolts and an o-ring rather than a flat hub seal. (I installed both seals). the Boyce I put on the front axle. the ouversson Ipt on the intermediate axle to make city driving easier and more tire friendly. ouversson also uses a larger bearing inside their hub. SO! that all being said... your choice should deped on your use. ifyou are gonna be dropping your front end into unknown rock, tree and otherwise solid hazards, i would say go with the ouversson. I believe they will take more of a shock and a harder hit. if your just looking for drivability? I would go with the Boyce.
the end... maybe

View attachment 832635

View attachment 832636

View attachment 832637
kovi, thank you for giving us the benefits of your machinists eye. I have Ouverson hubs on the front axle of my bobbed Deuce. I love them. They function easily on the coldest Winter days. I noticed there are reliefs on the flange side between the bolt holes and the bearing on the Boyce hubs. I would agree this would contribute to the Ouverson's greater strength. However, I do like the easier to read position markings on the Boyce hubs better. The Ouverson marking are hard to see in the dark. I usually carry a flash light with me when I know I'll be driving in a low light situation, but it would be nice to be able to see which position my hubs are in at night without one. Good idea putting hubs on the intermediate axle.

kovi

kovi, thank you for giving us the benefits of your machinists eye. I have Ouverson hubs on the front axle of my bobbed Deuce. I love them. They function easily on the coldest Winter days. I noticed there are reliefs on the flange side between the bolt holes and the bearing on the Boyce hubs. I would agree this would contribute to the Ouverson's greater strength. However, I do like the easier to read position markings on the Boyce hubs better. The Ouverson marking are hard to see in the dark. I usually carry a flash light with me when I know I'll be driving in a low light situation, but it would be nice to be able to see which position my hubs are in at night without one. Good idea putting hubs on the intermediate axle.
get yourself a white liquid paint marker.... clean the face of your hub with a toothbrush. go over all the indented lettering with the paint marker and then lightly wipe off the surface of the hub with a paper towel. the paint will stay in the stamped lettering and make it easier to read.

Dipstick

get yourself a white liquid paint marker.... clean the face of your hub with a toothbrush. go over all the indented lettering with the paint marker and then lightly wipe off the surface of the hub with a paper towel. the paint will stay in the stamped lettering and make it easier to read.
Awesome idea! Thanks! I just might do that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks