• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The big trip and a new MV.

drivebymashing

Im near Asheville NC If you need a hand I thought about driving my deuce 730 miles last week to pick up a m105a2 i drove a 2008 chevy 1500 instead ALOT more confortable.

dmetalmiki

We are all waiting for pictures and video with write ups as you proceed with your trip. As someone mentioned in an earlier post keep the rpms around 2000, 2250, reliable engine and truck component speed..assuring a safe and reliable trip home. Ok, not so quick as a local run..but that is just a "mind thing"..steady average takes it every time. Simply sit back and enjoy. Good luck we all (over here) send best wishes.

jking615

Will be seeing it tomorrow at 9 am eastern time. Pictures to come. Gopro, camera, Polaroid, and a butt ton of paper with me. Insured with Hagertys for 323 per year.

jking615

Pictures and videos coming soon. 800 miles in 2 days. Feeling the burn in my shoulders worse than anywhere else. Respect to the guys who drove these things, pulls like an ox, screams like a banshee, and has the suspension of a mule. One thing I noticed was smoke in the fuel tank whenever I pulled off, but it was never hot. I originally thought blowby, but it doesn't smell combusted, is it possible for the fuel in the return line to get warm enough to fog?

DMV today, then more sleep. Maybe a trip to a masseuse. Never thought they were useful before, today though, I might change my mind.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pictures and videos coming soon. 800 miles in 2 days. Feeling the burn in my shoulders worse than anywhere else. Respect to the guys who drove these things, pulls like an ox, screams like a banshee, and has the suspension of a mule. One thing I noticed was smoke in the fuel tank whenever I pulled off, but it was never hot. I originally thought blowby, but it doesn't smell combusted, is it possible for the fuel in the return line to get warm enough to fog?

DMV today, then more sleep. Maybe a trip to a masseuse. Never thought they were useful before, today though, I might change my mind.
Glad you made it home safe with no issues.

The trip to bring my Deuce home is right about 1700 miles that I will be making the 2nd week of May from IN to AZ. I think I'll bring some flexall with me as well for the rest each day. Definitely not going to push the truck when traveling through unknown territory.
:driver:

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to know you've got BIG vehicle... manual transmission experience. That's great to hear! [thumbzup]
My biggest manual transmission driving experience is when I used to drive the 78-passenger school bus at our church to go around town and pick up kids for Sunday school. That was a while ago, but I didn't ever run over anyone or anything and I've driven sticks almost my entire driving life (since 1980). I've also been reading items here and watching YouTube videos on how to drive and operate an M35A2. Building my list of things to acquire before I pickup the truck. Looking forward to it, but a little apprehensive as well.
:grd:

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm south of Tulsa, about half way between I44 and I40. I drove my deuce 750 miles back from Georgia, and I can tell ya, it's an experience you won't forget!
Thanks for the info. Yep, I'm 90% excited and 10% worried. Not sure if that is the correct ratio, but I can adapt.

jking615

Follow the Instructions of this thread and you will be fine. image dump in next post, and a few better pics when its not freaking raining in Florida. 3 days straight so far with more expected in the morning.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Follow the Instructions of this thread and you will be fine. image dump in next post, and a few better pics when its not freaking raining in Florida. 3 days straight so far with more expected in the morning.
How do you like the air-powered wipers? I used to have a 1968 AMC ambassador with vacuum powered wipers, meaning they only worked when you were not accelerating. :cookoo: They ran real fast when slowing the car down & stopped during acceleration. I think the air wipers will be much better.

rustystud

How do you like the air-powered wipers? I used to have a 1968 AMC ambassador with vacuum powered wipers, meaning they only worked when you were not accelerating. :cookoo: They ran real fast when slowing the car down & stopped during acceleration. I think the air wipers will be much better.
The wipers work pretty good on our deuces as long as you maintain them. The control valve gets filled with crud so they need to be taken apart and cleaned on a yearly basis. I also replaced all my hoses with DOT 1/4" Poly air-tube. No more leaks for me.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wipers work pretty good on our deuces as long as you maintain them. The control valve gets filled with crud so they need to be taken apart and cleaned on a yearly basis. I also replaced all my hoses with DOT 1/4" Poly air-tube. No more leaks for me.
Sounds like a great idea. It rains so little in AZ that the wipers on my Jeep dry rot long before they ever wear out. Still think I'll take your advice and go with the better air tubes. Thanks for the info.

jking615

Hey Rusty, Any opinion on whether or not an air/water separator is a good idea to add to the system? Just to keep the moisture out of the air tanks more. Blow downs would still be a every drive occurrence, but it would help keep the moisture out of the tanks even more.

rustystud

Hey Rusty, Any opinion on whether or not an air/water separator is a good idea to add to the system? Just to keep the moisture out of the air tanks more. Blow downs would still be a every drive occurrence, but it would help keep the moisture out of the tanks even more.
I installed a "Bendix" AD9 Air-Dryer last year. I went with the Bendix since parts are readily available and cheaper then any other air-dryer replacement parts on the market. I also installed a 7 gallon stainless steel air tank for my wet tank. My air is nice and dry now !
I also replaced "all" my air lines with either "PTFE" stainless steel or DOT 3/8" or 1/2" Poly hose.
The PTFE hose is on my compressor to wet tank run. That's a 3/4" hose. By using the PTFE and DOT Poly hose I should not have to replace them in my or my son's lifetime. As long as they are kept from rubbing through they last almost forever. The copper lines our trucks came with are OK but they have a shelf life. Due to vibration they work harden and crack or split open. Plus if a rock hits them they bend and deform unlike the Poly or PTFE hose which just bounces back.
This is why you see ALL over the road trucks and busses using these hoses. There also extremely strong. I've seen axles being held only by the hoses when the U-bolts came loose or broke.

Last edited:

jking615

So I have been promising photos for a while, so here they are. Sorry for the delay. Wish I had more, but with the nonstop rain I have had, tomorrow will be the first nice day I will have to get photos with. Definitely more to come, and a new thread soon for the restoration of it. Many questions to come. Soon I will be pulling the bed off and the cab off to treat all rust I can find, weld patches in the bed, and most importantly, to make sure the frame and drive-line are in good shape. Going to rebuild the T-case as there is a good leak in it, and the trans will be coming apart as 4th gear syncro is kinda kaput. It works, but only if I hold it out of gear for a while. All fluids will be changed in the next week.... and as soon as I check the filters and change them all, I am going to properly strain and filter all the fluids, and see how "multifuel" this monster truly is. Way more pics to come and some video as well.

As for problems. A few rust through's on the bed, oil pressure sender is out, a bit of rust on the door sills of the cab, one tire that is chunking, and a sound that I am not familiar with. Whenever it is running at idle and the brakes aren't being used, I can hear air blowing off. The tanks are at 100% so I presume it's because the Compressor doesn't have a modern electronic clutch to turn itself on and off with so it blows off like an old steam boiler used to to prevent an explosion. Is this "Blowoff" normal?

nopics

View attachment 615088View attachment 615087View attachment 615086View attachment 615085View attachment 615089View attachment 615090View attachment 615091View attachment 615092

rustystud

Whenever it is running at idle and the brakes aren't being used, I can hear air blowing off. The tanks are at 100% so I presume it's because the Compressor doesn't have a modern electronic clutch to turn itself on and off with so it blows off like an old steam boiler used to to prevent an explosion. Is this "Blowoff" normal?

No it's not normal. Your "unloader" valves are probably stuck. They get there pressure signal from the air-governor to open when the air-compressor reaches the shut-off pressure (usually 120 psi) . When they open they are basically venting the air-compressor so it will not build up any air pressure. If they are stuck closed then the compressor is always building pressure which then is released at either the pressure relief valve on the tanks or sometimes the governor.

jking615

Whenever it is running at idle and the brakes aren't being used, I can hear air blowing off. The tanks are at 100% so I presume it's because the Compressor doesn't have a modern electronic clutch to turn itself on and off with so it blows off like an old steam boiler used to to prevent an explosion. Is this "Blowoff" normal?

No it's not normal. Your "unloader" valves are probably stuck. They get there pressure signal from the air-governor to open when the air-compressor reaches the shut-off pressure (usually 120 psi) . When they open they are basically venting the air-compressor so it will not build up any air pressure. If they are stuck closed then the compressor is always building pressure which then is released at either the pressure relief valve on the tanks or sometimes the governor.
Rusty, I think what I am hearing is the unloader valve. It's only at idle that I hear it, and it's coming from under the hood, not the tanks. The truck is holding a solid 120. When the unloader valve is open the compressor is pumping to atmosphere right? When the sound occurs it's short and cycles every 5 or 10 seconds for about a second. The engine also smooths out a bit when it happens.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks