• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The "cadillac deuce", cab replant idea

Vintagefarmer

So, first time I've been on this forum in ages. Been even longer since I posted anything. But recently I've been looking into the ol' m211/135 trucks as a chassis option for a cab swap. I've got a federal 25m truck that I've had trouble finding running gear parts for ever since I acquired it back in 2014. It's done alright, admirably even, but it's not exactly what I'd want. I've seen a few for sale lately around me and got to thinking... how hard would it really be? Any questions, comments or ideas?20190622_192427.jpg

DUUANE

Park it on level ground. Get a tape measure. Measure the outside to outside on the frame rails.
Get a plumb bob.
On the floor mark a line where the center of the front wheel is. Then drop a second point in a different color thats the center of the front wheel well in the front fender.
Remeber which color is which.
Then take plumb bob to the center of front cab mount bolt. Make mark on floor.
Make 6 marks on each side of the outside of the frame rail with plumb bob. Mark the frame line with a straight edge on floor.
Post the numbers and ill go measure the M135 i have apart in the yard so you can see how close you are. If you have a standard 34" wide frame the issue will be the cab mount to axle centerline. If it isnt the same youll get into a steering box conversion..not cheap or particularly easy but can be done. The rest is relatively easy.

Vintagefarmer

Park it on level ground. Get a tape measure. Measure the outside to outside on the frame rails.
Get a plumb bob.
On the floor mark a line where the center of the front wheel is. Then drop a second point in a different color thats the center of the front wheel well in the front fender.
Remeber which color is which.
Then take plumb bob to the center of front cab mount bolt. Make mark on floor.
Make 6 marks on each side of the outside of the frame rail with plumb bob. Mark the frame line with a straight edge on floor.
Post the numbers and ill go measure the M135 i have apart in the yard so you can see how close you are. If you have a standard 34" wide frame the issue will be the cab mount to axle centerline. If it isnt the same youll get into a steering box conversion..not cheap or particularly easy but can be done. The rest is relatively easy.
I'm guessing I'm going to need to do a steering box conversion. If it comes down to that I'd probably cut the tube and shaft down, shove a bearing in the tube around run a u-jointed shaft to maybe the stock column. The only measurement I have at this point is the frame width which comes in at 34.5 inches outside to outside. I measured that when I was looking st throwing a flatbed on it. I'll see about getting the numbers for you when I get the truck outta the yard, it's currently mud-locked.

Appreciate it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks