• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Chieftain Arrives! Or the travails of moving armor...

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like others have mentioned, THANK YOU for sharing your armor with us! That is an amazing site sitting in that corn field. Possibly a video of her moving about and engine sounds? Glad she is home with you, but I am sort of disappointed in a "professional" moving company that couldn't get the job done. Would love to hear/read the whole story. Maybe a visit? Indiana is our neighbor! LOL Thanks again!

God bless,
Tony

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lol fund drive for tank at rally let's how many days to rally that be a lot of dimes between now and then.

Augdog1964

Like others have mentioned, THANK YOU for sharing your armor with us! That is an amazing site sitting in that corn field. Possibly a video of her moving about and engine sounds? Glad she is home with you, but I am sort of disappointed in a "professional" moving company that couldn't get the job done. Would love to hear/read the whole story. Maybe a visit? Indiana is our neighbor! LOL Thanks again!

God bless,
Tony
Always welcome...!

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
'Tank' you for sharing. Love that cornfield photo.

COME ON POWERBALL !!! WHO'S YOUR DADDY!! I know where my tax refund is going!

Augdog1964

Been looking for a HET, but some of the prices have been a little nuts... not to mention locations. I have a hard time spending lots of money on wheeled vehicles! LOL

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah Dave, at least three of us would come over from Dayton to help wrench or wash and wax the armor. :)

JW, Gimp and myself for sure.

roscoe

Just out of curiosity, what was the process like to actually find and purchase the tank. Did you buy it without actually seeing it in person? Is it a direct government sale or private party? Too bad it had to be demilled and they can't just give you some type of permit.

Augdog1964

Well various avenues...

the T-55AM2 and the BPzV was purchased from Select Military Vehicles in the UK. They come out of Peter Boyes collection... I flew to see them.
the T-54 was bought through a contact out of the UK from a man who flew to CZ to pick one out after the wall fell. Only saw pics.
the BMP-1 was bought from a collector in the states
the T-34/85 was bought from a collector in the states
the T-72M1 was bought from STV, I flew to Prague to see one, but it was not an M1, but I got to know STV. They later located an M1 and I bought unseen pics only.
the T-62 came out of Jacques Littlefields collection, I flew out to see it before finalizing the sale.
the Chieftain came from a collector in the UK. Only saw in pics.

So really a variety of ways... mostly just getting to know people and making contacts, and asking questions! The most important things is being ready to drop everything to get a piece if it is available!

As a warning, I've also been taken. RussianMilitaryTrucks took me for almost 50k... he's a UK citizen - Richard Moore. Another collector took me for $5k on a deposit, as well as a Pole for about $2k on spare parts.

Just know who you are dealing with, and ALWAYS a contract.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks