• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Chug build

chug

Got my deuce a few weeks ago.

I am going to turn this deuce into something like SS members UncleMikey and jesusgatos.

Those where the two deuces that really got my juices flowing.

I got a deuce for almost the same reasons jesusgators got his, I could buy it outright,
could not afford a new pickup truck or what I really wanted was an RV (I have spent to many night in a tent and want to live with a few creature comforts as I am getting older), the deuce is something that I can do in stages as I get money and is a lot of truck for the price.

My goal is to make it road worthy so I can go to sexat (visit a friend) then head up through New Mexico, Colorado (lived there when I was a kid and after college) up to Montana to visit friends and my mother in Missoula then be back in Oklahoma for football season, I have a 5 to 6 week window where I can get out of Norman between baseball and football season.

Some basic plans are to put air ride seats for the dog and I, some type of camper, wheels (they should be here by weeks end maybe), will try to do the inside of the truck like SS member robr (he has a great interior).

My goal this summer is to get everything behind the cab overhauled, get inside and check bearings, seals, axles, deferentials, brakes, brake lines, lights put an undercoating on the frame-axles and airtanks and there lines and that should take care of most of the back.

Here are a few picks of the deuce with old yellow dog (Ansel T. Chugwater is his name) in it. When I opened the door he immediately tried to jump in and go for a ride, he could not make it due to his age so I gave him a push. I can tell you he likes it.

Will start working on it and update soon.

And yes I have my TM's.

Be well.

Attachments

Atomic

Good lookin deuce and deuce driving buddy. Ansel T Chugwater, is there a story behind that? My cat is named Space Noodle, but I'm an idiot.

RealCavDog

Great way to get started !

And what makes you think Mr. Chugwater really likes your new project ? Maybe that jaw-breaker of a smile !

Congrats to both of you !

chug

Good lookin deuce and deuce driving buddy. Ansel T Chugwater, is there a story behind that? My cat is named Space Noodle, but I'm an idiot.
The name comes from Ansel Adams (I am a photographer Ansel Adams was a photographer) Tee is his middle name (that one would take to long to explain) and Chugwater is a town in Wyoming and to how the town was named goes like this_According to this narrative, a chief was disabled during the hunt and his son took charge of the hunt or "buffalo jump". Under his direction, hunters drove the bison over nearby cliffs; when the animals reached the ground below, a sound of "chugging" was heard by the hunters. The story concludes with an etymology: since a stream was near the base of the cliffs, the site of the stampede has been called "the place" or "water at the place where the buffalo chug."

That is how Ansel got his name.

chug

Sounds like a big list hope it all turns out.Have you figured out what size camper you need yet.
As to what size of camper, I am not sure yet, I may get a Class C motor home and take the camper and trash the cab.

A Class C would give me more room, I could hang it off the back of the deuce a few feet, so we will see, there are a few on Craigs list that are cheep, I am attaching a picture of one.

I have also thought of getting something like an Airstream or Avion camper and pulling it and putting the jeep in the back of the deuce.

That stage is hopefully going to take place this winter unless something that I just can't pass up comes along.

These are just thoughts and are up for debate.

Be Well

Attachments

chug

which is OK are you on?
I am in Norman, but I went to high school in Altus, and have been through Memphis several times going from Denver to Altus and back visiting my grandparents in Altus.

There is a lot of room to rome down there.

Talk to my grandmother in Altus the other day and she said they are burning up and its one of the driest summer she can remember and that includes the dust bowl. I would guess your in the same boat, stay hydrated.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pics are indicative of your profession. Looks nice. The new owner or Robrs deuce is a member here too. Looks fun.

chug

Did a little work today on the deuce.

Bed came off so I can work on the frame and all the good stuff that meets the road and took the outside tires off on the back.

Will start prepping the frame for paint and evaluating what needs to be done on the back end of the deuce.

I am not sure what kind of undercoating I am going to put on yet, I don't like the thick bedliners and bedliner seem to brake off in chunks, I want something strong, not to thick, not sure if I want flat or semi gloss-satin, semi gloss may clean up easer. I still have time to think about it.

Attachments

Last edited:

chug

Started to clean and prep the back of the deuce for painting, I used Reeves degreaser then got after it with the power washer.

When I finished I put more degreaser over every part of the chassis and axles, then scrubbed bad areas with a chisel and wire brush then back to the power washer.

I had really good results with the degreaser and power wash, only some minor surface rust on the frame and a few other places. Will power wash one or two more times just for good measure then start with the primer and paint. I may get a scotch bright pad or do some minor sanding just to clean up the rough spots.

There are a few pictures before the wash and one close up of the after.

Attachments

roady

Looking good Chug. I am doing the same exact thing as you. I have done the degreaser and power wash three times now. A little scuffing here and there and I should be priming this weekend I hope.

area52

Good job on the cleanup.

Can you do me a favor and measure inside the frame rails and get an estimate on how much usable space is in there under the bed? Was tossing the idea of a tank for fuel or water under there. Looks like three separate areas.

chug

Got air ride seats from a semi truck salvage yard. I don't care for the color (grey) so I will get some kind of seat covers. They were dirty so I power washed them and let them dry in the 100+ degree weather. They cleaned up really nicely.

My tires arrived, I will have pictures of them in a day or so.

Took the front bumper off and will take the winch off and rebuild it and then paint it.

Next week I will start on the rear axles, hub flip, check all the stuff inside and see if I need to replace anything.

I also ordered paint for the frame and will try to get that done next week.

area52, I will try to get you some measurements tomorrow.

Everybody have a great 4th.

Attachments

Last edited:

chug

The CHUG Build

I got the winch off today and took all the bumper and winch brackets off today, I will have a pile of stuff to get powder coated.

Placed all my nuts and bolts in labeled zip lock bags because I can take anything apart but can't put it back together so I hope this helps in my assembly of everything when it is time.

Everything has come off fairly easy, I used PB Blaster Penetrating Oil on all nuts and bolts. Some of the long bolts for the front shackles will have to be replaced. Also a bolt broke off in the winch housing, it just snapped so that was the only buzz kill.

Might have acces to a sand blaster next weekend so I may delay painting the back frame and axles, sand blasting would really clean those axles and leaf springs up nicely.

When putting all these brackets back together should I buy new locking nuts. I heard that the nuts are one time use only, any thoughts on that? And try to keep the nut jokes to a minimum! Ha!

Also any thoughts on five ton rims on a deuce? I would prefere HEMTT rims over the five ton, the tires I got from GL all have five ton rims on them.

Would have picture of the tires but they are in a trailer, you can't really see anything.

Everyone have a great 4th.

Attachments

chug

The Chug Build

Good job on the cleanup.

Can you do me a favor and measure inside the frame rails and get an estimate on how much usable space is in there under the bed? Was tossing the idea of a tank for fuel or water under there. Looks like three separate areas.
Got a few dimensions for you.

There are 3 bays, they are all 28 inches wide.

the first bay, the closest to the rear of the truck is 20 inches long, the second bay is 31 1/2 inches and the 3rd bay in 34 3/4 inches long, bay 4 has the two air tanks in it.

The depth is about 6 1/2 inches. Hopes this helps.

Have a great weekend.