• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Chug build

area52

Got a few dimensions for you.

There are 3 bays, they are all 28 inches wide.

the first bay, the closest to the rear of the truck is 20 inches long, the second bay is 31 1/2 inches and the 3rd bay in 34 3/4 inches long, bay 4 has the two air tanks in it.

The depth is about 6 1/2 inches. Hopes this helps.

Have a great weekend.

thanks for the info, do the rear axle differentials get in the way of the space at all if they flex?

chug

Chug

What kind of paint did you end up ordering for the frame?
I ended up going with Rapco paints.

Red Oxide Zinc Phoshate Primer.

Flat Black-for the frame, axles and leafsprings.

The body will be flat tan.

I thought about using a bed liner, thinned down so it would not be to thick.
Even after power washing the axles and leaf springs 3 time I did not care for the surface and thought the bed liner might start to chip soon. If I could have sandblasted everything, then I might have gone with some type of bed liner. With Rapco I can also do touch up jobs with the can if need be.

Still might get to sandblast next week but I will stick with the Rapco now that it is purchased.

I am having the bumpers and winch and some other things that are more visible than the frame and axles powder coated satin black.

Any thoughts or advice on painting on the deuce are welcome.

Last edited:

chug

More work on the deuce.

My deuce was in civilian hands before I got it, so I think everything should be checked thoroughly and replace anything in question.

Since I am going to be driving the deuce for a month or so at a time and in the mountains I wanted to check the bearings, brakes and do a hub flip for the singles.

Starting with the back axle everything came of fine, no surprises until I took the drum off and the brake had a bad marking (vertical pic) shows the marking on the outside of the brake. The drum and hub where filled with brake dust, chunks and dirt. No big problem, clean and rebuild everything back brand new.

The other side of the axle was not bad, just dirty and muddy.

I will clean everything up, replace brakes, seals and bearings and anything else that needs doing. I will have to order parts tonight, this will delay things a little bit but I am sure I can find something else to work on until everything is in.

I do have a few questions, if anyone want to chime in.

I will start researching all these ? tonight but are all brakes the same or are there better brands of brakes than others.

Any suggestions on axle fluid, I think there was a thread last week on cleaning the differential, I have some bookmarks on this subject, now if I can just find them.

I am getting Timken bearings.

So that is all for now and again if there are any words of wisdom please feel free to comment.

Be well.

Attachments

chug

A few more pics from todays work.

This is nothing you haven't seen before on SS. It takes time to get to the good stuff.

When the axles are done sometime next week hopefully the tires will be ready to be put on.

Paint should be in today or tomorrow and still not sure if there will be a sand blaster this weekend. Hope so.[thumbzup]

Attachments

Danger Ranger

Ok, you are really chugging along nicely on this!!! haha!

I might have missed it, but what tires are you putting on? And you still haven't decided on wheels yet right?

Yellow labs are the best, I had one too [thumbzup]

chug

Got some sand blasting done today. First time sand blasting. The goal was to clean up the back axles and frame and get it ready for priming and painting.

Also waiting on some parts for the brakes on the back axle so the back axle was chained up to move the deuce out into the field for sand blasting.

Before the sand blasting I took the brakes off of the back axle and power washed everything so it would be clean and ready for new brake pads and all that stuff.

Sand blasting was fun for the first six bags of sand then it kicked me in the butt, with temps well over a 100 and having a hard time seeing through the two masks I had on. Tomorrow I will just use one mask, I see so much better and don't miss as much stuff. Trying to get in every crevice on the axles was challenging. I did not hit ever spot but was pleased with the result for this being my first time and will touch up tomorrow.

There are some before and after pictures, the double cab deuce in one of the photo's is a friend of mine's project.

Attachments

chug

Just some more pics of the sand blasting. Hopefully this upcoming week I will get the back of the deuce primed and painted and have one axle rebuilt with new brakes, bearings and all that good stuff then I will take the other axle apart and replace everything and maybe get those tires on it and phase 1 on the deuce will be done.

As always if anyone has advise or words of wisdom please chime in.

Attachments

roady

Looking good. What kind of sandblaster are you using? So much fun blasting in 100 degree heat with mask and hood on and I was even wearing a Tyvek suit. I think I had sand in places I didnt even know I had......

chug

Looking good. What kind of sandblaster are you using? So much fun blasting in 100 degree heat with mask and hood on and I was even wearing a Tyvek suit. I think I had sand in places I didnt even know I had......
roady,

The compressor is an Airman PDS1855 and the other part of the sand blaster is pictured below, I don't know anything about them other than they worked great. They are rented from Crosslands here in Oklahoma. Sorry I could not give you more info but I am new to sandblasting.

Did some more blasting this morning before the temps got up there, just some touch up and the two back drums.

Tuesday primer and Wednesday paint, Thursday and Friday putting the back axle together if I have the parts in.

Everyone have a great week and if your in my neck of the woods hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.
It looks to be another 100+ week ahead.

Attachments

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks REALLY good! Nice attention to detail. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". What is your final dream for your deuce? Where will she be goin? How often? Why didn't you go with a M109? Thanks for sharing your adventure with us here on SS and thanks for the great photos!
God bless,

Tony:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks