• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

THE Common No. 1 Tool Set

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I would need a wide angle fish eye lens looking back a 20' container. It all supposedly fits in a deuce and M105 but when we moved it, some always was (purposefully) left behind (normally supplement stuff) and it was usually in a 5ton with trailer.

tbearatkin

As a Marine I have nothing but respect for the SeaBees. We worked with them on a few projects. They have a "can do" attitude any Marine would understand and respect !
I had a team of Marines working with us for Typhoon relief. Our Safety Chief had a field day with them. I explained to him that they are trained to charge machine gun nest so they just do not see a safety issue with cutting wood without eye protection and why use a ladder to get off the roof when you can just jump. They were a hard working bunch and loved all the great food we fed them over the MRE's they were issued. Best Laborer's
I had.

rustystud

I had a team of Marines working with us for Typhoon relief. Our Safety Chief had a field day with them. I explained to him that they are trained to charge machine gun nest so they just do not see a safety issue with cutting wood without eye protection and why use a ladder to get off the roof when you can just jump. They were a hard working bunch and loved all the great food we fed them over the MRE's they were issued. Best Laborer's
I had.
That is so funny ! It reminds me of when we helped the Navy guys. Give us some decent food and we would work like dogs for them. Kinda like a dog in real life if you think about it ! Maybe that's why they called us Devil Dogs ! LOL !roflrofl

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
As soon as I get back, I will be working on another Common. I have not finished the first Common yet but it's close. Garrett brought the uber schwere !" impact socket set I was looking for.

The air compressor is becoming the elusive item.

So, although I am not done with the first Common, I will/have begun a second one. The first one is named Alpha. The second will be named "The Second Common OH! Christ!!".

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Only part of the wrenches for the Common 1.

The blue one is a metric SK set last 4 is 0010.
The black with the double open end is SAE with last 4 of 6504. There are two sets of these and they would be either Sears or Craftsman. Both of my sets are Craftsman but I have one 9/16 x 5/8 that is SK. I have a Craftsman on order that should be in this week to make both sets 100% Craftsman.

Black case with combo flare SAE wrenches is the 9566. This one is a Bonney set.
Red case is a double open end metric set with last four of 1148. This is a PROAMERICA set and is one of the authorized manufacturers.

These are about half of the wrench sets. It does not include the separate individual wrenches not in a set.

Attachments

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
screwdriver sets.jpg

Here are the screwdriver sets. One is a Pozi drive set, last 4 is 6873.

The other is the -0334 Phillips set which I believe is in this case a PROTO.

Jeepsinker

I've seen a lot of kipper horizontal tank compressors sell out of the GL yard on Polk. Keep your eyes open and I'll grab it for you if you find the right one.

Pretty sure Gimp got the blue wrench roll you have pictured there at the rally, it was new but had no wrenches in it.

I'm surprised you haven't gone bald trying to collect all these tools.

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Interesting that the screwdriver set has a radiator fin straightener in it.
Naw, it's part of the overall set but it just happened to get thrown in with the screwdrivers in the same ammo can for dry, clean, protected storage. There's also a couple screw starters, a hex bit set, and a couple of individual screwdrivers that are part of the Common.

CT-Mike

That is so funny ! It reminds me of when we helped the Navy guys. Give us some decent food and we would work like dogs for them. Kinda like a dog in real life if you think about it ! Maybe that's why they called us Devil Dogs ! LOL !roflrofl
Sorry for being OT, but we had a squad of Marines provided security while we went through a refueling overhaul at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard. We had to feed them, and they stole every **** spoon on the mess decks. The cooks constantly complained about having to buy new ones.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
No pics because my kid max'd out the data on the wireless for the month.

I made huge progress on the inventory over the last few days. Found a few issues that need corrected which almost exclusively consisted of individual components of the wrong manufacturer. I also figured some sets needed newer/better tool rolls. So final inventory on 4 wrench sets is awaiting some minor corrections. 90+% of the wrenches are now inventoried and accounted for.

I began the sockets and already got through 75% of them and again found some minor errors and/or missing components. I'll get those items ordered tonight and should be able to get them fairly cheap on egay. A few items that are too expensive on there will be posted on here as trade options/wanted. Dreading the puller sets because of all the small, numerous components.

Some odd and end items were also inventoried. At this point I estimate

100% of all "B" level (major) component items and sets (such as a roll of wrenches or a boxed socket set or battery charger) are inventoried.
90% of all "C" level subcomponents (like individual sockets or wrenches in a set) are inventoried.
30% of the set has been cleaned to the best of my abilities and stored in ammo cans or, if too big, placed in a crate. The crate stuff is probably going to get relocated into Hardigg cases. There are a few items that won't fit in the Hardigg cases like the batter chargers, tire dolly, parts washers, etc.

It's a good thing I'm jobless but "The End Is Near". "No Dag Nabbit. I said the Sheriff is a BOOONNNNGGGG."

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Will let you know. I haven't start that dreaded part of the inventory yet. I was thinking of opting for a tooth extraction without any pain meds rather than deal with that.

rustystud

Sorry for being OT, but we had a squad of Marines provided security while we went through a refueling overhaul at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard. We had to feed them, and they stole every **** spoon on the mess decks. The cooks constantly complained about having to buy new ones.
They where "messing" with you ! rofl

Jeepsinker

It can't be that bad, can it?
Anyway, there is a possibility that I may have some of the pullers and/ or related components you need. I also have some seal and race driver sets and extra pucks, but I never saw you mention any need for them.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Some pics of the inventory process.

Attachments

nbrown8568

Sorry for bumping an old thread, most forums don't allow it. I came across this today in a Google search. While in the Marine Corp I was the NCOIC of the toolroom and was told by the MSgt in charge of the motor pool that I needed to create an inventory sheet for the common no. 1. At that time it was only listed on microfiche. He wanted it typed and I could only hunt and peck and the IG inspection was 7 mos away. Needless to say, I got it done and inventoried with 2 weeks to spare. My question is has it gotten easier to do an inventory on the common no. 1? I did mine in 1982 in Okinawa Japan with the 9th Engineers Motor Pool.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks