• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Dead Rekoning, my M35A2.

djbigj

Ok went out to the truck to inspect the leak further. There are 2 other spots on the same wheel that look like spray, but its very small. The fluid has an oily texture with an odor but it's not that strong. It also looks like it's not leaking constant. I have no choice but to drive it to work tonight. When I get ready to leave I'll check it again. Also when I went to wash my hands it was "somewhat" difficult to wash off. The water beaded up like it was an oil based product. The color of it looks to me like oil as well.

Second thought... I'm smelling my hands now and can still smell it even after I washed them lol.

Last edited:

Tlauden

First off welcome!!

Regarding your mechanical ability, you will learn. I just got my deuce a little ago and don't know much. Just download the TM's. There are some real good parts breakdowns. Take your time. So far nothin seems TOO hard to work on. And looking at the TM's if you need to replace brakes or a cylinder it looms to be a relatively simple task.

davey8943

Second thought... I'm smelling my hands now and can still smell it even after I washed them lol.

DEFINITELY gear oil!!! :wink:

Even if you aren't very mechanically inclined, replacing these seals is pretty easy.

I stumbled across this adobe document, and I think it does a pretty good job explaining step by step rear seal replacement.

I would suggest that each tire be removed independently, the step by step shows pulling the hub with the duals attached. This could be a daunting job for someone without a pallet jack! (of course you won't have to worry about that, Mr SINGLES!)

Ohh, and I want to see some pictures of mud on that truck!

Dave

Attachments

91W350

If you are married or have a significant other, do yourself a favor and wash your gear oiled clothing at the laundry mat. The Mrs does not complain about much, but her clothes smelling like gear oil for a couple of washes will get her wound up. I just kill an hour checking the truck over while my clothes are getting a bath. Glen

tco3129

Thanks Davey8943 for the attachment. Guess who had not realized the keyway needed sealed. Now I know why my outer bearings always are washed free of grease.aua

rrrr

Welcome to the club. I got my 395's and hemmit rims from Andy and "Dad", first rate guys. Glad to see another Missouri deuce !

AGE|kshaufl

Nice truck!

Seals are not too bad to change. Save your money, download the TM's, and do it your self.

You will come to enjoy the smell of grease, gear oil, diesel, and all of the other things that come along with it.

Make sure you read the TM's though. Guys here will bust your walnuts if you don't.

TM's Here: Technical Manuals thanks to JT.

Barneyszoo

Nice truck, hopfully its gear oil, DOT 5 brake fluid is about 30 bucks a quart. I'm gonna rebuild my brake system and the fluid is going to be the most expensive part. But have fun, these trucks are a blast.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck, hopfully its gear oil, DOT 5 brake fluid is about 30 bucks a quart. I'm gonna rebuild my brake system and the fluid is going to be the most expensive part. But have fun, these trucks are a blast.
Check surplus places (such as sprucemount surplus; they seem to be out of stock at the moment http://www.sprucemtsurplus.com/102002/PA200048.jpg ). Many people have gotten a gallon of MilSpec dot 5 for 30 bucks or so.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Until your problem is resolved, check your brake fluid before every flight. No brakes in a 13,000# deuce is not much fun. No brakes in a 20,000# deuce is really bad. No brakes in a 12,000# deuce towing a 13,000# deuce will cause your arse to suck the seat cover off the seat. Experiece in the above has been my teacher.

Oh, by the way, welcome to Steel Soldiers.

djbigj

I'm leaning more towards a leaky axle after my travels last night and this morning. Driving the deuce the brake pedal feels nice and strong like it should. No loose or spongey feel to it. You barely have to step on the pedal and there is plenty of stopping power. I even really romped on it and locked the rear tires up briefly. When I left work this morning, after it had been parked for more than 6 hours, the inside of the hub was dry. Until I get my "guy" to look at it, and I will definitely fix the issue. Ill just be cautious but driving it for now seems fine.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm leaning more towards a leaky axle after my travels last night and this morning. Driving the deuce the brake pedal feels nice and strong like it should. No loose or spongey feel to it. You barely have to step on the pedal and there is plenty of stopping power. I even really romped on it and locked the rear tires up briefly. When I left work this morning, after it had been parked for more than 6 hours, the inside of the hub was dry. Until I get my "guy" to look at it, and I will definitely fix the issue. Ill just be cautious but driving it for now seems fine.
Just because it feels ok doesn't mean its not bfs. As the level drops the feel doesnt get progressively worse.

yolner

If you want to keep this truck running the only reasonably priced way is to DIY. If you start paying people to work on it you'll be broke and frustrated in no time at all. They're easy to work on so give it a shot before you pay someone else!

tco3129

YOU are your chief mechanic. roadside fixes are common. Don't let it spook you. take your time , study the TMs and have at it. There's always someone HERE if you get stuck and need an answer. I don't know what I'd do without this forum.[thumbzup]