• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Deuce and the dragstrip

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It takes a really experienced driver in the other lane with a quicker vehicle to run against this kind of ET. They see the other guy getting down so far before they start they usually get nervous and foul the start or break out. They also have to do things they are totally not used to to not "burn down" on the line waiting for their tree to start, getting them out of the familiar "bubble" you have to be in to do really well. That is my experience anyway running my 13 second car against 8 and 9 second drivers in handicap racing. I have pulled tractors and other sports but find drag racing in the ET classes is one sport where it is impossible for someone to cheat against a good driver and consistent car. It is only a contest of the lights, the clocks, your car, and you. The other driver is only a side issue seemingly demanding but should not be getting your attention when you are in the proper bubble.
Glad you had fun! I always wanted to take an M135 with the automatic and try this but never did.
Regards Martin

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We don't need a quarter mile track to compare all the trucks. We're lucky up here with plenty of empty, flat, prairie roads so our first rule is make sure we're all complying with the local road rules. Rolling off a set of lights where the speed limit is greater than 50mph with a soldier "B" holding the camera, is like every day driving...with your foot in it.

Point a video camera at the Speedometer. Do some 0-50 runs on a flat road and see what your timing is. When you post it to your favorite video loading site, drop a link here and see if you can beat the Early Deuce. 0-50 in 46 seconds.

0-50 starts at 6:20 but the whole video is sassy...compliments of one of our very own Steel Soldiers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYMiR2DT7Fo

drivebymashing

Ill post a video of my 71m35a2. Its so different driving my vette 0-60 in 3.9 seconds compared to 10 times that. I do prefer the deuce over the vette though....

drivebymashing

Is the digital gauge the trans temp? I used my father in laws 2008 chevy 1500 to pull my 105a2 350 miles the last 20 miles was up a very steep grade and it hit 205 trans temp and i was worried. I guess over 200 isnt bad?

HanksDeuce

Is the digital gauge the trans temp? I used my father in laws 2008 chevy 1500 to pull my 105a2 350 miles the last 20 miles was up a very steep grade and it hit 205 trans temp and i was worried. I guess over 200 isnt bad?
Yes, the digital gauge in the center of my instrument panel is the transmission (converter outlet) temp gauge. The Allison AT545 manual says not to worry unless that temperature gets over 300 F. While driving stop/go traffic in 100 F weather in Louisiana I've never had that gauge go above 225 F. As soon as my speed levels off at 55 mph the temperature comes down to 200 F or so (steady state with cooler getting good air flow). I would assume it would be higher when towing a load. That gauge has a range up to 340 F.