• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Deuce and Truck Weight Stations

therbert

Just so I don't go to jail !! Does the Duece fall into the catagory that requires a visit to the Weight Stations.. I am driving from Camp Jejeune to Asheville area on Friday and don't want any issues. I see more than just tractors going through all the time.. What is the rule??

Thanks in advance for any advice..

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Different States are all different, but many of those signs before you get to the weigh station, have the Key word "ALL" trucks, etc. I would be absolutely certain to have with me, the registration and proof of insurance! Also the rest of the required gear that makes good scense, a fire extinguisher (5#er), and the safety triangles/first aid kit. Some of those Guys in the chicken coops can get huffy, when they think your are trying to beat them out of something.

A good technique is to call a Scale, and just ask what the rules are, so you know. They appreciate that. If you call, take notes and get the Guys name, date & time. That will add authenticty, if they start yelling. Of course, I would never advocate going around a scale either....

Lee in Alaska

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It doesn't hurt to pull in, they will most likely just wave you through anyway (give you the green light).
The North Carolina stations also have "Fuel Check" signs, so don't use offroad diesel in the rare case they would stop you.
There are only two stations on that route, won't slow you down much.

EO2NMCB

I would call the NCDOT and ask them as rosco stated. I myself always blow on past the chicken house, but I 'm running AV plates on the deuce. Here in IL its trucks over 8 ton, empty deuce is only 6.5ton.

5tonpuller

In ny when I stop ( it also says all trucks ) ether I just get waved throw or when they do stop me I get asked why did I stop? Other state may be different. Got historical plates on it.
My $0.05 worth.

FreightTrain

Banned
The signs state All Truck then Commercial Trucks next right here.The key term is Commercial.You are not running commercially.Tags do not make you commercial.You are not driving the truck hauling goods for compensation.Now in some of the Occupied states like Kalifornicate that have their own nutty rules you are considered a commerical rig no matter what tags you have or what you are doing with it.

ida34

This kind of runs into other topics also. Most of the time there are not "commercial" plates. I think you may be talking about weight apportioned plates and are applicable to a normal titled truck no matter if it is used commercially or privately. The DMV here in Michigan tried to say I needed a 12000 LB tag for my F-350 based on the fact that it was a flatbed. She was wrong but the lack of a weight on the title and the flatbed led her to think I needed a weight apportioned 12000 LB tag. She did not care if I was operating commercially or not.

If you are operating commercially then you would need to stop. If you are not operating commercially then ,as I understand it, you would not need to stop. Think of it as you are using a u-haul truck to move your stuff. If you are just moving your own stuff you are fine. If you are selling something or moving it for someone else to make money then you are operating commercially and need the appropriate driver's license, the apportioned plate, and stop at the weigh stations.

I have antique plates on my deuce so I avoid the issue all together. Here in Michigan the law is very vague about restrictions on use. Once in a while I use it to haul stuff to the dump or get stuff using it as a pickup. Many states are more restrictive on the antique vehicle plates and use of the vehicles they are on. Having a agricultural plate or antique plate have their own restrictions. Regular plates are an option as long as the DMV has never seen the thing. I would bet by their rules they would require a weight apportioned plate for truly legal unrestricted use. Even the agricultural plates carry restrictions and most states have restrictions on how far the truck can operate from your farm.

Long winded I know. The bottom line is that the weigh stations are for commercial operators. If you are not operating commercially you do not need to stop. The officers may see you pass and stop you just because they want to make sure you are not operating commercially and bypassing the station. I doubt this would happen much but if you wanted to avoid hassle I would just stop no matter what and wait to get your waive through. I do not stop at weigh stations with my truck.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the states I have driven deuces before, I ignore the weigh stations. I don't use the deuce for commercial purposes, and it falls under the VA requirements for a commercial vehicle. I figure the worst that will happen is they pull me over after passing a weigh station, check my papers, and let me go on my way. So far, it seems like they have only looked out the window and seen a "military truck" pass by, and they ignore me.

bottleworks

You don't need to stop. At first, I was paranoid about it too.

Things you should take care of is insurance and a tag (if you can). I got a personal transporter tag when I went and got mine. You can now only get them at the DMV main office in Raleigh. It's $14/yr. If you can't get one, just make sure you have insurance.

therbert

OK,

Thanks.. I have been doing some reading also.. I agree that I don;t need to stop. I also found some intresting info at the NCDMV site. It says that a tag stays with the owner and not the vehicle. It said if you sell you car to keep the tag for the new one and notify the DMV within 20 days of the change. I just sold a truck and have a tag still. I will just put that one on and should be good to go..

Thanks Again for all you input..

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I stop they tell me over the speaker to clear the scale and come to the building. The reason it is a pain for them is they are so used to just weighing and waving the trucks on or into the inspection area that a request for a weight slip messes with their schedule. I found out I could get one when I did DITI moves on a PCS move.

emr

If You are running antique plates it has absolutly nothing to do with the wiegh stations at all, Antiques dont fall into any catgory that pertains to them, Keep on going that way You wont be in the way of people trying to get there business trucks thru, Randy

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
therbert said:
When you stop, do they come to you or do you get out? Just wondering.
Thanks
There is a stop light, they'll turn it green when they see you and you won't even have to come to as stop most likey. Like I said there are two scales along your route (red dots, image below) and they may not even be open, The big sign before the entrance to the station will tell you.

I had a DOT number on my deuce for a while and did stop at the scales, but was still always waved on (green light). At that time I had my medical card, log and extra insurance just in case. Wanted to be prepared since I was hauling cargo for somebody else across state lines, VA and NC.

About the fuel check, I purposely stopped one time and asked about that and they had no idea what "biodiesel" was, they only looked for the red dye....

Good luck on your drive!

Bjorn

Attachments

acetomatoco

Review the rules re interstate vs intrastate commerce.....for your state... The inspectors can call it a safety inspection and gig ya for no valve caps if they are in the mood...