• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Deuce as my backup generator

This has probably been discussed but I cant find much on it so here goes. I want to use my M35A2C as a backup generator for my house in the event of a power outage, it would also be nice to have AC off the truck for running power tools and droplights. Up here in New England we loose power a few times a year, but a couple years ago we were PARALYZED by a huge ice storm that knocked out power for a week. I want to find a way to run power from my deuce, did the military ever make anything that did that? The reason this isn't posted under the hot rodding and modification forum is because if there is a 'stock' method I would perfer that. If not any othe suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I also want to find a safe way of obtaining at least 20 amps of 12v dc as well. Thank you in advance!!

KsM715

The military uses generators. There are gensets (well welders with one or two 120V recepticles) that are mounted in the back of contact maint. trucks that run off a PTO but Ive never seen one for a Deuce.

Heavysteven

I don't see how it could be done cheaply. Surplus generator probally the easy way2cents

Sorry I could not add anything. I hope some one chimes because it would be really interesting to see .

goodguyzy

anything is possible with enough money. I suggest a gen set. To run good clean power you need a constant rpm and controls, not to mention that hooking up to a house in going to require switch gear. I could go on and on but the cheapest way is a civilian back up generator/switch gear set up 6-7kw, unless you get a super cheap deal on a set from GL/GSA

anything is possible with enough money. I suggest a gen set. To run good clean power you need a constant rpm and controls, not to mention that hooking up to a house in going to require switch gear. I could go on and on but the cheapest way is a civilian back up generator/switch gear set up 6-7kw, unless you get a super cheap deal on a set from GL/GSA
I'm not going to get that fancy, just a couple of extension cords running into my house to run a few things like the television, radio, and coffee maker. Maybe the water heater and pump if I can get enough amps out of her.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PTO generator. Mount it under the truck. Northern Tool has one that will do what you want but probably costs more than you paid for the deuce.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The big multi-fuel is going to use a lot of fuel to turn a PTO genny.

I concur with popular opinion...get a genny designed to make power.

I have a friend that bought a deuce engine and tranny still mounted in the frame to do the same thing you want to do.......it is still sitting in his back yard.

Crawdaddy

I too would love a PTO mounted genset on a deuce coming off a transfer case PTO. It would be nice to have power and air handy on the truck, but it definitely seems to not be cost-effective. I'll just get a MEP-002 instead.

R Racing

That Northstar PTO Generator is way to big to fit under a deuce and its also a open unit ( I have 1 ) so dirt and water can get into it very easy. The M944s had a PTO Gen in the back that was a neat setup.

Reactions: DUG

rz14rt

Motorgenerator

The military did make something like this. It was a combination of a 24volt dc motor direct coupled to an AC generator at 115 volts. I have attatched a photo of one I intend to use to power tube communication radios. This one only makes 350 watts. Works great.

Right now I am using it to run some Christmas lights and posted on a thread with that title also. I plug it in to my Deuce using a Nato adapter and it makes regulated AC at 115 volts. All mechanical with no solid state components (which is important to me).

Attachments

Akicita

DUG,
That genset runs on 540 RPM continuous. That's for farm tractors. That genset is not designed to run at 800 RPM. Your Deuce engine will stall if you somehow manage to slow it down to 540.

pegasus55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you'd be far better off just using decent self contained generator or a genset. It doesn't seem very economical to try to get what little power you're looking for from your deuce (way too much diesel for way too little return). Use the generator to watch tv, and leave your big green machine to get around in! :) Just a thought...

The military did make something like this. It was a combination of a 24volt dc motor direct coupled to an AC generator at 115 volts. I have attatched a photo of one I intend to use to power tube communication radios. This one only makes 350 watts. Works great.

Right now I am using it to run some Christmas lights and posted on a thread with that title also. I plug it in to my Deuce using a Nato adapter and it makes regulated AC at 115 volts. All mechanical with no solid state components (which is important to me).
Seems like there would be a large power loss, an inverter seems more practical. But 350watts is pretty good considering what it is. Does it plug right into the NATO jumper outlet?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks