• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

the deuce is home

croftonaviation

Went down to Ft. Campbell and brought home a deuce today. I am pretty sure I did not get the truck that was described. The pictures match but that is all. The truck I got has 62000 miles showing where as the description said 44000 and the hours were off by about 1000. Tonight when I get home I need to see If it even was the right S/N and manufacturer. On the bright side it has a heater, a new cab canvas top and a turbo (dead batteries so I don't know about what kind yet). Overall It appears to be a decent truck and I'm not taking any bets as to actual mileage and hours. More info and pics as they become avaliable and yes this was a truck on the hold list.

croftonaviation

Yes, this truck was on the hold list. The site manager said GL told them to release any trucks regardless of the hold status with a paid in full invoice. I asked what was the hold over and he could offer no answers. My truck did not have any stickers on the dash in reference to being tested for radiation. I will know more about the year of the truck and the instruments when I get home tonight.

croftonaviation

And running

had time to replace the batteries and see what I had this weekend. I think I got a pretty good starter deuce. with the batteries changed the truck started first try in under a second, ran good and built good oil pressure. I drove it around on the farm and the drive train seems to be in good shape. The truck was rated as an H7 on GL here are the pro's and cons

Cons
Missing glove box cover
pipe doing from turbo to j pipe has bottom worn out of it
paint is faded
brake lights don't work
spedo bounces around
Horn inop
No spare

Pros
Truck has a "D" turbo
2 water type heaters
new canvas on cab
air shift front end
it runs and drives

I think this will make me a good deuce. She needs a little love but I don't think anything that is wrong with her is too bad. More pics coming soon, and I will be hunting the classified section soon to buy some parts

Last edited:

BugEyeBear

Sounds like a nice truck!

Glove Box Cover should be easy to find/replace.

Brake lights issue:
I'd guess that either your military light switch is in the wrong position, or switch could be malfunctioning...
OR your pressure switch is bad...
OR you have blown bulbs...
OR maybe just a loose wire or connection.

Speedo Bounce:
Probably either a cable that needs lube...
OR could be a bad speedo gear.

Horn:
Bad steering wheel button?
Bad switch at horn?
Loose wire?
Bad air line?
(My horn is currently disconnected as it was getting stuck ON!)

Spare is easy & cheap to replace!

ENJOY!! :-D

GoHot229

I had my Deuce for a while and the only lights that worked were the two running lights on the rear, hence, fake brake lights for driving around town (manualy turn the switch on) so that suked, but I had all new bulbs given to me with the truck, so I replaced them all and bingo everything worked. I wonder how long the military used it without lights, as they went one by one till nothing worked? I think theres a J pipe in classifieds here still? Yea, the spare's nut'in. All in all sounds like you did good.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks