• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Deuce vs. HOA's: How do you guys deal with it?

Albin

rdixiemiller said:
Al
I am going to Montgomery tomorrow to pick up an M-105 trailer from the guy who sold me my deuce. He has a M35A2W/W that has the front axle disassembled, I'll see what he wants for it. I watch GL auctions, but I would prefer to buy from a private individual. Test drives are nice! I paid 3K$ for mine, and it is in great shape. Other than an oil pressure gauge that has decided to quit, and re-covering the seats, I have had no issues. The GL trucks in Montgomery are bringing more than I paid for my truck, and you have no idea if they even run. I also understand that getting an Alabama title with the GL SF97 is a long, drawn out, process.
Rdixie,

Yes, please find out what he wants and any other particulars (hard top, whistler, air shift, etc.).

Please say more about the SF97 form and the state of Alabama.

Based on what I've read hear and my very limited experience with GL, I'm going to limit the use of GL to sales at Redstone Arsenal here in Huntsville. Montgomery is just too far to drive just for an inspection and I don't feel comfortable buying sight unseen, heck, half the time I don't know what I'm looking when I see a Deuce! I wish there was someone in North Alabama that had one so I could see it.

Thanks,

Al

DEL03

:nono: for a little more relizim we have the worst HOA but knew it before we moved here luckily we have a wonderful 7-11 down the street wich of course is where I was able to stick it the other day (deuce mod posi/spool) but either way I leave it there during the day and trade my Suburban for it at night (working third) it is great storage nobody toches it during the day and and at night it goes to work with me.

but the hoa does allow my boat :boxer: its a trade but for this year its worked ok

del03

SixBuy

How come they can see it? Isn't it camoflaged? He-he... So put a net over it...
OR
Do whatever you want and space the appeals to last at least 8 years
OR
Take all the neighbors to a parade in it and amass some allies to change the code.

There's always some self-appointed fun police out there! Good Luck.

Squirtgunner

Seriously,
Find a local equipment owner/operator that has a "yard". Construction types are not testosterone deficient, they like big toys, they shoot guns, and are among the most patriotic people I know. Anyone with a yard would be happy to store your duece for ya. Just give his kids a ride.

Where to look...

Concrete plants, heavy equipment dealers/service centers, rental yards, tractor/trailer yards, ranches, crane services, backhoe/bobcat/dirt truck services, airports, etc. Any business that stores large vehicles. If you start lookin'/askin' around/callin'/ meetin' I'll bet you have a spot within an hour. Likely for free. Especially if you drive up in it...

In the meantime, tell the geek from the HOA that if you can't store the duece here, your gonna have no choice but to rent the house to your brother "Gutpile". He and his ridin' buddies will promise not to make trouble, and they will park their bikes inside the house and in the backyard when they have their bi-weekly club meetings here.

I actually used that line once, and the geek instantly leaned forward, mashed the pedal to the metal of his electric golfcart, (10 mph) and couldn't get to the clubhouse fast enough! God, that was funny! Never heard another word outa the moron.

Albin

Squirtgunner said:
Seriously,
Find a local equipment owner/operator that has a "yard". Construction types are not testosterone deficient, they like big toys, they shoot guns, and are among the most patriotic people I know. Anyone with a yard would be happy to store your duece for ya. Just give his kids a ride.

Thanks for the input, but that's just not going to work. There's no way I'm going to store my vehicle where I can't use it or work on it or daily drive it if I so choose.

As I mentioned in a post above, the HOA language is very confusing and self contradictory and asked for people's opinion on what it meant to them and how they dealed with their Deuce and HOA's. As it turns out in my neighborhood, apparently, the rules have been broken so many times, there is no possibility of enforcment.

It's not a commercial vehicle. It's not an RV (although it may well be registered as such). It's just a large personally owned and operated truck. Assuming I don't just store in the back yard (which has a 6' privacy fence, the highest allowed by convenant), I see no problems. I do plan to daily drive it to work at a large defense contractor, security there will go ape-crap when they see it, but as long as I park in the back 40, they're gonna be cool about it.

The big problems now are the $, hopefully solved next Feb. and Chief Financial Officer/Domestic Supervisor approval. What advice do you have for that?

Thanks,

Al

Low-Tech-Redneck

Funny part about scaring those "civillian" homeowners is that they may be suspicious that you even HAVE a Cousin Gutpile in your family, but they've seen you do other crazy things so offten, they don't dare call your bluff.

The reason my Dad moved my family to where I grew up was because he got tired of fighting with the township. He had two cars, a van and a Honda. Honda in the drive, van in the street. Town said "nope" no cars in the street. So he pulled the van into the driveway behind the Honda, town said "nope" can't box a car in like that. So he widened the driveway to park them side by side. Town said nope, that driveway isn't up to spec. He knew that wasn't right so he took them to court and WON. Now, the inspectors had made him a marked man and came by every day with thier measuring sticks trying to get him on somthing. After a year of that he wrote em' a letter "You can kiss me and my tax revenue goodbye' and left for the boonies, where people don't care about stupid stuff like that.

There was another guy living a few blocks away who had an old VW Rabbit in his yard, the township told him to get rid of it, he responded by cutting it in half w/ a sawzall and saying "Now it's public art, you can't make me get rid of that" They tried, the Judge said "you yourself in the code say that public art is okay, what's the problem?" After winning, the guy built several other art exhibits in his yard including a huge plaster pig painted pink, an fake phone booth with a replica of Coach Joe Paterno standing in it, and all kinds of other things. Unfortunately, college kids vandalized them all to the point where he had to throw them away.

I knew a music teacher in the same area, she had built her house around the surrounding trees instead of cutting them down, so hers was the only house on the block with these majestic 30 - 40 year old trees in it, it was shady in the summer, and she kept them raked and pruned. You guessed it, the town came by and wanted to know when she was going to put in grass. As anyone knows, except these dim bulbs, grass doesn't grow under a complete canopy of trees like that, just go to the woods sometime and look. They threatened to fine her if she didn't come up with and file a "plan of action" to fix this problem. She mailed them a blank piece of paper and said "here's my plan" they gave up on her soon after

rdixiemiller

Al
It is always easier to get forgiveness rather than permission.
I told my wife I was having a mid-life crisis. She had her choice between a corvette (ugh!), a new Dodge diesel 4x4, or a deuce.

Trango

Man too bad I'm not going to be on the Arsenal anytime soon (boss is going in 2 weeks to save me some travel budget). I'd love to drag you out of your office and ogle your deuce. ;)

Bob

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Next Steel Soldiers rally is at Al's house! Get the pool filed up with clorine, all the green truck grease monkeys are coming to your place. Neighborhood will never be the same. We'll get Mangus580 to bring his biodiesel still and we'll cook up some fuel and tell stories out in the street.

Albin

Recovry4x4 said:
Next Steel Soldiers rally is at Al's house! Get the pool filed up with clorine, all the green truck grease monkeys are coming to your place. Neighborhood will never be the same. We'll get Mangus580 to bring his biodiesel still and we'll cook up some fuel and tell stories out in the street.
Good idea and I highly endorse it, but....

Get in line! (these are pics from last years Club picnic;; 2005 club picnic is this Saturday, July 9):

RCRC 2004 Club Picnic

Trango, don't know if you're talking to me but I don't have a Deuce - YET! Good seeing you over from Pirate. If you come to town, beer is on me!

Low-Tech Redneck, see the above pics: You're right on: this is the reason I insist that RCRC club picnics are at my house AND everybody brings their Big Boy Toys!

Rdixie: message received! Thanks!

Thanks,

Al

Deuce-bigalo

Good Luck with the Corporate Commitee! You know, CEO, CFO & Dir of Ops! It's amazing one person wears all those hats!!

I was fortunate with my Commitee. She is one who began learning to race her CBR600F2 when we met, Loves doing doughnuts with the Banshees we used to have and our very first date was out to do a late night mud bog run in my prior 4x4 1997 Dodge Ram XTra Cab w/ a 6" FabTech Lift running on 35's.

She is a Tom-Boy at heart so I didn't have to try and convince her much. Let her ride around in it with us when we went and looked at it and she really liked it!

If your up against a Girly-Girl Commitee I would take the I did it and sorry I didn't advise you before hand route!!

Good luck either way!

Desert Rat

Kenny,
I was about to say the same thing! Nice 'binder! Go big I!!! BTW, my wife bought mine as a birthday gift for me three years ago and she's the head honcho of our little company as well (Jordan's Government Surplus). She's the one who encouraged me to get into this. No need to buy and ask forgiveness when she GIVES the title to me.....................

Speaking of titles............................................ Anti-social? Well to HOA's you bet! Kaye and I are already making plans to get out of this apartment in Houston and move into GOD's COUNTRY, namely away from the city. I don't know how y'all can tolerate living so close to each other. I gotta have my 10 to 15 acres of land at least.

Deuce-bigalo

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's Ted Hils offering that truck and I'll assure you, its ready to drive. Ted has a bunch of stuff. Dothan is way south though.

Deuce-bigalo

Yeah, I checked the distance wondering how close it would be for Albin. Unfortunately, I see it as roughly 5 hour drive. I thought it may be a good thought to get the wife interested. Try and keep an eye out otherwise though

John

red devils dude

Recovry4x4 said:
may be next year me and him can convoy out we can put the big tank that he want's(250gal tank plastic with a metal cage frame) in my deuce. [^]

Albin

Recovry4x4 said:

We did that this weekend. Had a blast, about 45 people over, tons of very large and meaty beef ribs (Fred Flintstone ribs) and BBQ chicker. Do not, repeat DO NOT, open the pics if you're a PETA or Sierra Club-type person!

Pics and three videos are located here:

[SORRY, LINK IS FUBARED; I'LL TRY TO GET FIXED ASAP.]

The last video is of my daughter running my '85 Toyota 4Runner up the ramp backwards.

While I was taking pics of the old Jeep out front, my boss's, boss's boss came by, we talked a while.

Why is this related to the thread at hand? I haven't heard from anyone from the HOA, just like last year. I think I'm gonna be OK with a Deuce in the driveway.

Thanks,

Al

Albin

OK, pics are up, video's still come.

WARNING: DO NOT, REPEAT, DO NOT CLICK ON LINK IF GRAPHIC PICTURES OF HIGH QUALITY BEEF RIBS, BBQ CHICKEN OR EXTREME ROCK CRAWLING VEHICLES OFFENDS YOU! You have been warned!

http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.com/trailpicts/picnic20050709/

While taking pics of the cracked Jeep frame, my boss's boss's boss came by (he lives in my neighborhood), other than make a couple of jokes about all the vehicles, he was pretty cool about it. I've never heard from the HOA, fork'em.

Thanks,

Al

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks