• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The differences in the M135/M211 Wheel hubs......pictures measurements

gentrysgarage

Thought I would condense this down some to make it a quick reference, I will leave the rest of the thread below
Thanks to Plowboy for getting me to download the TMs, which surprisingly have some part numbers also!
Again I want to Thank everyone who contributed to this thread!
As far as the hubs go (according to the TM references) SOME M-211 had dual tapped faces for axle flange mounting i.e. flippable hubs and ALL M-135 hubs are flippable. I am endeavouring to resize the applicable pages to post here (I do have trouble posting pics...but will try!). First Picture shows the M-135 hub, the second is a 211 hub.
View attachment 617369View attachment 617370View attachment 617371
NDT put this out
Looking at the ORD9 parts catalog, there are 2 different hub part numbers for the M135 and all the dual trucks. Also, the brake drum "back" component is clearly different from the M135 and dual trucks (also has different p/n). So bottom line, even if the hubs are flippable (which I think they are), you would still need to obtain brake drums from a M135. However, the FRONT brake drums on all trucks are the same as M135 rear brake drums, so you could obtain some front drums to put on a dual rear axle if that is all you can find.
Jason JC wrote
The M135 and M211/M35 wheels ARE different. The M135 have a different offset , not sure how much off the top of my head thought.
Henderson chimed in
Wheel offset is 1.5" difference. Then download the TM and look at the part numbers and drawings. The hubs and drums are the same. I had them in my hand a couple years ago. There is a different spacer ring between the drum and hub as well if I remember correctly.
It is called "back, rear brake drum" and it moved the drum further in or out depending on the orientation of the hub.
Plowboy posted this page showing the "back, rear brake drum"
I then posted this:
Tapo pulled a front hub for us off a 211, which isn't taped on the inside, thus isn't flappable but got the measurements:
topo said:
This is the front hub .
A - 2 7/32
B- 4 3/32
brake drum removed
Tapo got back to me and stated that the rears have the same part number, but like the front are only drilled on the one side (the opposite side from the front).

With this the dishes are DONE!!!!

Start of Original thread......

Hi Guys,
I know there are a few threads on here about the difference, but none of the treads have pictures showing they are the same just flipped or measurements of the differences. Nor do they ever show/prove their point , the thread just kind of dies out.

I am having to go with larger tires on my G-506 cabover to help with keeping my rpms at about 2200 @ 70mph with a 5:38 ring and pinion. This decrease the distance between my frame and the wheel too much. If I switch to the M135 hubs and drums I think I will be OK. So if I could can I get measurements and pictures of the 2 hubs? Not only will it help me, but it will finally and definitevely end all debate and help out others in the future.
Thanks in Advance!

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
No difference between the 2 I know of. One is "in" for duals(211) and one is out for singles(135).

Just like the m35s.(unless I'm wrong)

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking at the ORD9 parts catalog, there are 2 different hub part numbers for the M135 and all the dual trucks. Also, the brake drum "back" component is clearly different from the M135 and dual trucks (also has different p/n). So bottom line, even if the hubs are flippable (which I think they are), you would still need to obtain brake drums from a M135. However, the FRONT brake drums on all trucks are the same as M135 rear brake drums, so you could obtain some front drums to put on a dual rear axle if that is all you can find.

jasonjc

The M135 and M211/M35 wheels ARE different. The M135 have a different offset , not sure how much off the top of my head thought.

gentrysgarage

Thanks for the replies,
What we need to do to prove the "flipability" of the 211 hubs is to get a picture of said hubs and see tapped axle flange holes on each side. Good info NDT on the front drums being the same as the rears on the 135, the front drums on the G-506 are different from the rear also (might be able to use my drums with which every hub I get). Topo offered some 211 to me it would be great if they are the same! I will keep trying for pics and measurements so that this thread can be used as reference!
Thanks Again Guys!

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wheel offset is 1.5" difference. Then download the TM and look at the part numbers and drawings. The hubs and drums are the same. I had them in my hand a couple years ago. There is a different spacer ring between the drum and hub as well if I remember correctly.
It is called "back, rear brake drum" and it moved the drum further in or out depending on the orientation of the hub.

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Single vs Dually wheels G749

I loaned out a few books just today but there is a picture around with the off-sets we'll dig up.

Meanwhile, here's the info out of TM 9-8024 and 9-1819AC

P4081274.jpg

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ooops! That picture describes the M34 vs M35 perfectly. The drum bolts to the inner end of the hub and the axle bolts to the outer edge of the hub. A simple flip of the hub does the trick no a M34/35

The M211 and M135 is different. the drum is 2 piece. The drum mounts to the flange behind the wheel studs. It is secured by the 6 wheel studs. The drum does not bolt to the end of the hub as the picture shows.

Last edited:

gentrysgarage

Again Thanks for the replies! If we could go the M35 route life would be easier for me as That is more than enough for the bigger rims and tires I got.
I loaned out a few books just today but there is a picture around with the off-sets we'll dig up.

Meanwhile, here's the info out of TM 9-8024 and 9-1819AC

View attachment 616797
Could I get a better picture of the front page? Please.
Thanks Guys!
I guess I/we need to wait till somebody out there that needs to do a brake job on a 211....then we can get a picture of the treaded axle flange on both ends of the hub.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Again Thanks for the replies! If we could go the M35 route life would be easier for me as That is more than enough for the bigger rims and tires I got.

Could I get a better picture of the front page? Please.
Thanks Guys!
I guess I/we need to wait till somebody out there that needs to do a brake job on a 211....then we can get a picture of the treaded axle flange on both ends of the hub.
Hockey distraction up here but what Front Page are you looking for?

Have we showed you the link to the technical manuals? http://www.steelsoldiers.com/forumdisplay.php?95-Technical-Manuals

The Korea era manuals http://www.steelsoldiers.com/forumdisplay.php?118-Korean-War-to-VietNam-War-Vehicles-TMs

The Early Deuce Manuals http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?106483-More-M135-TM-s

More http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?119880-M135-amp-M211-TM-s

The M35 deuce manuals http://www.steelsoldiers.com/forumdisplay.php?113-The-Deuce-TMs

Your answer is probably buried in here somewhere so lets do some diggin. I'm a better guitar player than a mechanic and I'm learning as we go.

P4091279.jpg

Found the wheel/hub picture that I have on post #4 of this thread. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?126189-Gm-2-1-2-ton-rear-axle

Last edited:

Section8

Not sure if this is what you are looking for in regards to the hub assembly.
I zoomed in on them and am pretty sure I don't see threads on both ends of the spindle.
I looked into the difference between M211/M135 wheels and hubs and could only come up with the back spacing being different on the rims.
Hope the pics help.

Attachments

gentrysgarage

The Answer to the tapped stud issue

Thanks to Plowboy for getting me to download the TMs, which surprisingly have some part numbers also!
Again I want to Thank everyone who contributed to this thread!
As far as the hubs go (according to the TM references) SOME M-211 had dual tapped faces for axle flange mounting i.e. flippable hubs and ALL M-135 hubs are flippable. I am endeavouring to resize the applicable pages to post here (I do have trouble posting pics...but will try!). If anybody pulls a hub apart, if they could get actual measurements of wheel mounting surface to each flange that would close out this thread completely.
Thanks Yet Again!
Screenshot-23.jpgTM9-8042..jpghubs.jpg

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 hub differences

No measurements yet but you're going to need to type slower so I can keep up with all the mechanical lingo you're laying down. I speak Latin for part of the day so describing the measurements you need from the following pictures would help me on the learning curve.

In the first picture, Is it just the F to G contact face diameter you're looking for?

P4121792.jpg P4121791.jpg P4121787.jpg

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure if this is what you are looking for in regards to the hub assembly.
I zoomed in on them and am pretty sure I don't see threads on both ends of the spindle.
I looked into the difference between M211/M135 wheels and hubs and could only come up with the back spacing being different on the rims.
Hope the pics help.
WHOA is that an S-cam air brake setup?