• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The disease is spreading... new MEP 831a

s205designs

Hello All,

Well apparently the surplus equipment disease is spreading as I have a newly acquired MEP 831A. I will likely be selling my 16D since they seem to be identical with the exception of the 831 being better in most ways. (I can't seem to find any reason a 16D would be better).

One question I did have was in regards to load balancing. My understanding of generators is when operating in 120/240 split phase, it is important to keep the load legs balanced. The 831 has this mode, but I'm wondering if this "rule of thumb" is still true on an inverter generator. Can the circuitry handle this or will an imbalanced load still cause problems for the generator? Sorry if this is a dumb question but the inverter seems to make me wonder?

Thanks,
J

Cord

I was load testing my unit last night and didn't notice the Mrs had plugged all 3,000 watts into one leg. After a short run of a couple of minutes the generator dropped the load and a red overload light illuminated on the panel. Apparently the unit will handle a significant imbalance; but only within reason.

jimbo913

Congrats on the new acquisition. I think I caught the disease too... I told myself that once I bought an 803A that I was done but I keep looking for more STUFF...