• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Duke Rides Again...

Rolling_Eudaimonia

What? I'm not sure I understand your statement... If you are talking about modifying my truck-- I have almost all the parts now that i need. I've been a little slow on collecting them all. Some have been hard to find.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As I recall from earlier discussions, you have ambitious plans for modifying your truck. Please share with us your build plans!

Rick

Rolling_Eudaimonia

As I recall from earlier discussions, you have ambitious plans for modifying your truck. Please share with us your build plans!

Rick

Well, I first wanted to put CTIS on it. But, I've since decided against it after talking to the manufacturer of the system and understanding the real issues of it. So, I've settled on the following modifications:

1) ARB Air Lockers in each axle, new Ouverson shafts, gear sets and girdles for each axle. (own already)
2) CAT 3116 TA Engine rated at 190hp at 2700rpm-- I picked one up cheaply.
3) Snow Performance Water Methanol Injection System (own)
4) Two Air Ride Seats with after market seat heaters installed. (own)
3) 14.5R20 Tires - MPT 81 (own)
5) Hard Top Fiberglass (purchasing)
6) Eaton Fuller 6spd Manual Gearbox (own)
7) 20,000lb Garwood Winch form M900 series truck with Hydraulically operated. (searching for)
8) Fuel Fired Heater and Water Personal Heater in Cab (searching for the fuel fired heater-- own the personal cab heater kit)
9) 24v to 12v 60amp reducer (need)
10) Heated Battery Box (need)
12) Insulated Fuel Lines (need)
13) Heated Fuel Tank (need)
14) Two Extra 90gallon Transfer Fuel Tanks (just purchased)
15) Extra marker lights, rear back up lights and front head lamps. (need)
16) Dual Circuit Breaks (need)
17) Wabco 1200P Air Dryer with 24v Air heater and Alcohol Evaporator kit. (purchased)
18) Cab insulation (purchased)
19) Muffler Kit (need)
20) Arctic Winter Hood Kit (need)

And that is about it because I'm taking this truck to the arctic for a 2 year documentary modeled after Henry David Thoreau's famous Walden: My Life In The Woods. Looking for the CTIS ready axles and system was going nowhere. So I ditched that idea. I instead decided to make the truck much more robust in other ways. Then other things happened and money I put aside for this truck project was used up-- now I'm ready again and looking for someone to put it altogether for me.

Last edited:

Rolling_Eudaimonia

I need tire chains!!! Thanks for sharing. Oh wait, I need snow for those. :(
Chains are good-- but the best combination to have are both chains and air-lockers. And really I think RUD chains are better than the cheap-o-stuff I put on this truck for fun. For my Arctic Documentary I'm putting Supergreifsteg chains on it. They are very aggressive chains. The present ones are V-Bar and decent but not RUD made.

oddshot

And that is about it because I'm taking this truck to the arctic for a 2 year documentary modeled after Henry David Thoreau's famous Walden: My Life In The Woods.
You're doing what ... WHERE???

Seriously.

You must REALLY like snow and cold.

I moved away from NJ about 10 years ago because I hated that stuff so much. Well ... that and the taxes.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Chains are good-- but the best combination to have are both chains and air-lockers. And really I think RUD chains are better than the cheap-o-stuff I put on this truck for fun. For my Arctic Documentary I'm putting Supergreifsteg chains on it. They are very aggressive chains. The present ones are V-Bar and decent but not RUD made.

I'm trying to make a film essay in Livengood Ak.. I like negative -40 degree temperatures and lots of snow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks