• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Epic Separation

BobM

Yeah where IS Jonathan? I just found this post tonight. Now I'm hooked!:-(
BTW: If Jonathan still has room for more stops, he might wanna go to Pompey's Pillar while near the "Little Bighorn Battlefield" ( formerly known as the "Custer Battlefield" before the indians {EXCUSE ME, I meant "Native Americans":lol:} pointed out that a battlefield is never named after the loser!)
Anyways, the Pillar is the only site where a relic of the Lewis and Clark expedition remains. It is the signature of Captain Clark carved into a pillar of rock beside the Yellowstone River. It is about 25 miles east of Billings alongside of I-94.

merlot566jka

My brother had some complications due to an accident several years ago that left him in a coma. Now a 100% disabled veteran he has some problems that resulted from a brain injury. He had to be flown back home to Oklahoma. He is doing just fine now.

We made it to Yellowstone, around the area, onto beartooth pass, down to little bighorn battle field, and today we saw mount rushmore and crazy horse monument.

The deuce is the champion on this trip. 7mpg, and with the low gears, I'm confident we could climb any mountain!

Were now in Custer SD, and looking for the next point in the trip.

Walt, sorry we didn't call, we were losing signal and was dealing with my brothers issues.

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our prayers for a good journey were already with you, and now we specify that Michael's health be restored and that the rest of your travels be less crisis-like and more touristy. The "radio-silence" indictated a possible situation, and we intuitively intensified our requests on your behalf. Please keep us posted. And if there is anything that we can do - holler!

Godspeed on the remainder of your trip.

John & Dianna
San Angelo, TX

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going between photos 1 and 3, you prolly passed within 1/2 mile or so from Maccus' place.[thumbzup]

BobM

I was HOPING that you were just being too busy having fun. Sorry about your brother's missing out on the rest of the trip. Are you flying solo now? ( I went back and reread your first post and see that your best friend should be along too. I believe that an epic roadtrip is best shared! )
I'm powering up the batteries in the laptop so that I can keep track of your progress as I head in the opposite direction.:D
But unfortunately, I sold the 1008 and my vette will sit this trip out as well. The wife and I will have to "rough it" in the silverado with air!
Be safe and have a blast. This will be a trip that you will remember forever! [thumbzup]

Last edited:
Good hearing from you Jonathan!!

My brother had some complications due to an accident several years ago that left him in a coma. Now a 100% disabled veteran he has some problems that resulted from a brain injury. He had to be flown back home to Oklahoma. He is doing just fine now.

We made it to Yellowstone, around the area, onto beartooth pass, down to little bighorn battle field, and today we saw mount rushmore and crazy horse monument.

The deuce is the champion on this trip. 7mpg, and with the low gears, I'm confident we could climb any mountain!

Were now in Custer SD, and looking for the next point in the trip.

Walt, sorry we didn't call, we were losing signal and was dealing with my brothers issues.
No problem!! Glad your brother is going to be ok!! Will keep in touch! Wish you both the best!! Walt aka elkhunter

BobM

Maccus, we didn't want to try anything on such short notice, we decided to head out. Were in alliance NE now.

Thanks guys, my brother Michael will be just fine.

Back to the road

If you still need "places to see" there is the Heartland Museum of Military Vehicles in Lexington, Ne.
Their web is:
Heartland Museum of Military Vehicles - Lexington, Nebraska

Good luck. Oh, and that one pic showed you "playing" with an inside dual on the deuce. Don't tell me you hadda flat?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

merlot566jka

If you still need "places to see" there is the Heartland Museum of Military Vehicles in Lexington, Ne.
Their web is:
Heartland Museum of Military Vehicles - Lexington, Nebraska

Good luck. Oh, and that one pic showed you "playing" with an inside dual on the deuce. Don't tell me you hadda flat?
Yup, had an inner flat, and discovered the spare went flat too. Bad luck.

We thought the museum was in Kansas, thank god you posted that! We have stopped in North Platte, just west of Lexington. Were going to get the flats fixed, try to fix a head light, get some headphones and clean off a metric ton of bugs from the windshield in the morning.

I also **** near hit a horse at 55mph. Barely grazed it. Stupid thing was in the middle of the road! That was the last straw, had to get a hotel and get some sleep.

BobM

Yup, had an inner flat, and discovered the spare went flat too. Bad luck.

We thought the museum was in Kansas, thank god you posted that! We have stopped in North Platte, just west of Lexington. Were going to get the flats fixed, try to fix a head light, get some headphones and clean off a metric ton of bugs from the windshield in the morning.

I also **** near hit a horse at 55mph. Barely grazed it. Stupid thing was in the middle of the road! That was the last straw, had to get a hotel and get some sleep.

Remember, if it is open range, that horse has the right-of-way. Hit him and you pay for him!;)

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shoot, I just noticed this thread today. I envy you, sounds like a great trip. Badlands are worth a short visit for sure (if you did not pass there already).

Did something like that in the 1980s with these drive-away companys. Drove a brandnew Mercedes from New York to Harrisburg (boring) and an old first-generation Toyota Landcruiser (the real jeep still) with a little trailer from Harrisburg to Seatle in 6 days. Never forgot that asecond leg of the trip. Badlands were impressive, but after a short time its time to move on.

Yellowstone Park people advised me that If I looked down when higher up on the mountain roads, I might see some bizons in the valley far below. Did not see any bizons there, almost did not see the bizon in front of me standing in the middle of the road as well. :shock: :shock: :shock: They are hugh! Too bad I did not have a camara with me that trip. Good luck for the rest fo the trip

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BobM the area he was in is open range. And yes if you hit a critter you are responsible. Been that way since the start of the western migration. That also holds true for most federal land as it is leased out in the summer months to ranchers. They usually graze livestock from about May to October on federal land. So out here one has to keep their eyes pealed 100% of the time.

Sorry to have missed you. Oh well !! can catch you on the next trip you make out here.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks