• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The first pics of my HEMTT project !

Jones

Hey Cdub; based on the fact that there's no pass. side rear window and the turn signals are mounted upside down. That may be an LVS. Pretty scarce as the Marines were the only ones to use them. If it is, it would be worth trying to pick up.

CanonNinja

Jones said:
Hey Cdub; based on the fact that there's no pass. side rear window and the turn signals are mounted upside down. That may be an LVS. Pretty scarce as the Marines were the only ones to use them. If it is, it would be worth trying to pick up.
one just went for $16k on GL 2 weeks ago

dma251

steelsoldiers said:
Very impressive! Is your family tired of the "other woman" yet? :) I know my wife was about ready to kill me around week 10 of the 923A2 project.

I have a very understanding soon-to-be-wife. I'm giving here the greatest gift ever on August 18th....

After six years of anticipation she has finally convinced me to marry her ;)

Seriously, I am really luck to not have to fight the big "no more green metal" fight. She understands that I have to have my interests, and she has her's. It's hard to find women/wives/girlfriends that can grasp that it's not their OBLIGATION to change or alter their mate. I call it the "bait and switch"... You get what you got. Don't expect to change it much.

Here's a pic of her holding my great big nuts. (in hindsight I really wish I had found bigger nuts!;) )

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do the neighbors tolerate your hobby? My family asks me this question all the time. The truth of the matter is, not a single one of them can complain because eacha nd every one of them has needed one in there yard for something or the other. I'm the most sought after guy in the neighborhood after a hurricane.

Cdub

Jones said:
Hey Jones,

I didn't notice much of a difference...........can you explain or better yet show some pic of the difference between the two......???

Thanks,

C'dub

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, that HEMTT looks pretty neat! Bet it will turn a few heads in the local parade, especially if you put a sign on it that says "Privately Owned".

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I take the HEMTT through town every time one of those anti-war crowds gathers to protest. Usually, a bunch of veterans and their supporters gather on the opposite corner. I pass them honking and showing my support. It is great to see the wind leave the sails of the hippie crowd when they see what they think is an active duty military truck (I guess they missed the civvy tags) supporting the "support our troops" group.

dma251

I've noticed some differences in the cabs on the LVS vs. the HEMTT are the skidplate openings, the lack of a right rear window, the vent arrangement on the roof is different, there is no clearance light on the corner of the cab on a LVS, and most significantly - the intake tunnel that runs up from below the cab to the top of the back of the cab for feeding the huge radiator right behind is a significantly different design. My Hemtt cab has an air inlet on the top of the cab, and the LVS has none.

I think that's about it. They bolt on the same, and they seem to function the same. I can fill you in on more details soon - I am picking up a LVS cab to possibly swap onto my truck in two weeks.

dma251

Recovry4x4 said:
How do the neighbors tolerate your hobby? My family asks me this question all the time. The truth of the matter is, not a single one of them can complain because eacha nd every one of them has needed one in there yard for something or the other. I'm the most sought after guy in the neighborhood after a hurricane.

I get the same question, too. You can't see it in the pics very well, but since buying the HEMTT, I had $8000 of work done to my backyard to cut out 100 yards or dirt and rock from my hillside and that 7 foot tall rock retaining wall put in. That's because the HEMTT was so much longer then my other rigs I need a more practical place to work on it then one of those cheap costco carports. In a couple weeks I'll have it graveled and then I will set up a 40' x 16' x16 high' dark green RV garage that is complete with roll-up door and lights, so I can paint the truck/keep it dry/safe from prying eyes, etc.

As far as the neighbor's go - it's simple -

"When they start paying the bills, they will then have an opinion that matters to me."

(most of my neighbors love it, though. I was a little concerned about damage to the roads, so I got on my neighborhood association so I could vote against any BS rules some fool might dream regarding weight limits or some such nonsense.)

ATC

A little off-topic, but do you have a Part Number/Price on thoes Corbeau seats?

Good luck with the HEMTT...I LOVE thoes things!!

dma251

Seats are Corbeau GTS II - $320 each, and the harnesses are 3-point retractable harnesses that are have free-retracting shoulder belts until they are inertia activated or you can lock them manually with a knob. They are $100 each.

I am planning on having the seats recovered in canvas when the truck is finished.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
DMA that girl is a real treasure, keep her. Mine is much the same four kids and 26 years later.

Bruce:
Thanks my friend we all appreciate the support anyone shows for our efforts in fighting evil and protecting American freedom. I am really kinda sad that I will not be at Aberdeen next year hopefully your HEMMT will be there and we can see some pictures.

poppop

When I was at the Pembroke scrape yard three weeks ago there was at least 12 cabs that look like the ones on these trucks. They all looked very solid just had minor damage from small accidents as far as I could see. This guy is real funny about his military stuff but I think he would sell these if someone needs one. I have no idea what he would want but he sells nothing for less than he can get for scrap and he is a dealer so he gets top dollar for scrap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks