• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

the FREE MARKET FOUND A WAY! (new CARB compliant NATO FUEL CAN) "Jerry MFC"

peashooter

I saw these a while back at my local Fleet Farm store where I had been getting genuine Nato fuel cans until they recently ran out. I think these NATO fuel cans have been unavailable in most states for years now because they didn't have any CARB compliant "spill/vapor/whatever proof" nozzles. Looks like The company now offers them with a new nozzle that is CARB compliant. The Can is the same! They had 10 Liter ones also but they cost more than the big ones. Here are some pictures:

http://www.wavianusa.com/

Attachments

Last edited:

jimbo913

Makes me angry to see it. I can't think of anything more stressful than dealing with those spouts. The cause of more fuel exposed the the ground and atmosphere than anything or maybe even everything else combined. On the flip side they are great for the oil companies profits because you only get 1/2-3/4 into whatever you are filling.

Kaiser67M715

I have personally had TWO of these spill proof/vent free gas cans(both were plastic containers) pop open emptying all the contents on the ground-needless to say I have found a way around this, but will neglect to say for legal reasons. It is beyond me as to why they created these spouts/cans, you need three hands to use anything larger then a 2.5 gallon container, and even then it is a pain in the a$$. makes filling lawn care equipment fun(I'm in the landscaping/lawn care business, and so have to use one of these spouts at least 4 times a day)

jimbo913

Filling atvs and zero turns is a blast! The little tab that is supposed to press against the tank to force the valve open constantly slips, then the twist lock resets and you have to lower the can and start all over. Then there is no vent so it gurgles and takes about 20 mins to empty a 5 gallon can. What joy!

peashooter

Do they seem as heavy duty as the old USMC metal fuel cans?
Yeah they are the real deal not the "military style" ones. I think this brand is the main producer of nato cans for the militaries

Makes me angry to see it. I can't think of anything more stressful than dealing with those spouts. The cause of more fuel exposed the the ground and atmosphere than anything or maybe even everything else combined. On the flip side they are great for the oil companies profits because you only get 1/2-3/4 into whatever you are filling.
I started buying any nato can I could find over the last few years after getting fed up with the new plastic CARB approved ones that do spill all over and pour slowly. I've even seen some new nato looking cans that have a screw on cap and plastic spout (harbor freight sells them), but they are still the crappy type. I havent used this exact set yet, but I was happy to see its the good quality and previously banned can but they just designed a metal and plastic spout that is sold with it to make it comply with new laws. The old spouts still work with the new cans.
I've spilt plenty of gas from my current nato cans filling up my riding mower, maybe the new spout would help? I cant bring myself to spend more than $40 on a NATO can anymore though.... but its nice to see at least they are available again.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Filling atvs and zero turns is a blast! The little tab that is supposed to press against the tank to force the valve open constantly slips, then the twist lock resets and you have to lower the can and start all over. Then there is no vent so it gurgles and takes about 20 mins to empty a 5 gallon can. What joy!
For those not in the know, a US Jerry can with a clear internal vent tube and a correct spout can dump 5 gallons in right around a minute.

Chainbreaker

The cats meow for equipping a Nato can is the real Swiss Army fill spout. It has the internal vent, the flexible fill tube is made out of copper and includes an internal filter screen. I have two and they empty a Nato can REALLY FAST! Just copy and Google this and you might find one at a half decent price: swissarmyvehicles SAV4220

When I received mine I cleaned the copper tube up with some lemon juice and a little salt then rinsed and now the outside of the copper tube looks shiny like brand new!

They also have some nice Nato Army Surplus 20L Jerry cans at a good price. Just Google: swissarmyvehicles SAV1101U

Last edited:
They make a screw in nozzle for the jerry can in a smaller size for filling cars and snow throwers. a towing company called aw direct sells them. if you google the company you can find the nozzle. very helpful.

Chainbreaker

Thanks for the lead.

I found a Jerry Can, but couldn't find any nozzles:

Before purchasing that Jerry can from awdirect you should zoom up on that picture and take a close look at the welds (spot welds on handles and cap), top half seam near top and paint quality. The one I listed earlier is $3 cheaper has better "full welds" everywhere and better paint (with a special paint to prevent internal rusting/flaking, a diesel resistant alkyd-ammonia based paint) and has stiffening ribs embossed in sides. It says "used" at the bottom but in the description they say "new" with some scuff marks from storage. These are Swiss Military Surplus and are the real deal Nato cans, not a knock-off at a higher price:

http://www.pinzgauer.com/showdetails.php?cat=surplus&partno=SAV1101U

I did not see these when I bought a pair from another Mfg at a higher price or I would have purchased these. However mine look identical (except in yellow) and are very well built.

These are the spouts:

http://www.pinzgauer.com/showdetails.php?cat=surplus&partno=SAV4220

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Amazon.com has jerrycans for less than $30 apiece , and without the EPA spouts. Ima going to order some before we can't get them anymore!

If someone distinctly wants true NATO cans, Sportsman's Guide has them for not too much. If you are not a member of their buyers club, you can take the complimentary 30 day membership the website offers you on checkout, and get free shipping. You do have to unsubscribe or you will be charged $30 for an annual membership. Then again, Sportsman's Guide is a great source for military surplus and buyers club members get 10% off, and occasionally free shipping.
Bulldogger

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Top shelf current production cans are mfd by Wavian. They supply many countries. I have a bunch of 5L cans in my SECM for oil etc. The cans are perfect in every way.

Chainbreaker

Yep, Wavian, that is the brand I purchased. Great inside and out! Although...I really like the Scepter MFC Mil Spec stuff. Very TOUGH, you can throw them around and they don't dent, scratch or rust but they are a bit pricey!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks