• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The future of the M939 series.

Cdub

Hi Guys,

What do think the future of the M939 series trucks will turn out to be….??

Will these trucks be released in mass quantities after the armed services are through with them…??

How about the Armed services releasing large amounts of parts when they are through with the vehicles…??

Will these M939’s be sold overseas to foreign countries….??

Or will only time tell……??

Cheers,

C’dub

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I suspect they will use them for a little while longer, maybe 10 years or so, then give them away to other Countries in return for a variety of things; access to their economic markets, airspace/flyover access, etc.

Don't expect to see many on GL, a few perhaps but not like the current exodus of M44's.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: M900

I believe we will see a pile of them in the future. Dealers like Schott's in Maine, and elsewhere, have begun to deal in them, granted at kinda high prices. But that's the tip of the iceberg. A lot will go to friendly countries (hopefully in SALES and not in GIFTS). But with tens of thousands made, I'm sure a lot will be coming home with us.

Those that think the surplus system will close up tight are glass-half-empty kinda people, and should avoid a position on the MVPA board. I talked with a old codge not too long ago in Aberdeen, he told me he was into these MVs back in the 1960s, when there was just a few folks into fixing up old WWII vehicles that were surplussed out. He told me (THIS IS IMPORTANT) that back then, he and several of his restoring buddies back then didn't think there were EVER be a surplus system in the future when the M35A2s, the then-new M715s, and other then-hi tech gear would be sold off surplus. YET HERE WE ARE, and deuces, M715s and CUCVs are EVERYWHERE, and relatively cheap. Bottom line is, keep a positive mindset, get involved, and maybe we'll see the "glory days" of the WWII surplus market once again, with newer stuff!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

I'd like to know where Oskosh is going to put the battery box. It can be a rusty PITA under the seat, but it does keep them warm and out of the water. I'd rather switch over to spiral gel-celled batteries and leave them where they are. It's fun hauling 4 6TL's above your head and into the box.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Mike, I truly hope you are right. Once the M35s are out of the system, in my opinion, the surplus game as we know it is going to change. First, the military did not procure as many M939 series as the other trucks. Remember, most of the M35s were built during the height of the cold war when our military was more than double its current size. Clinton saw fit to slash the military budget and downsize our armed forces. Smaller armed forces = fewer trucks. Second, with the automatic transmissions, they have more desirability to foreign countries. For these two reasons, I don't think we will ever again see hundreds of trucks on each auction. I just don't believe it. Only time will tell, but I don't see us progressing to M939 series trucks and then on to FMTVs and on and on. I hope I am wrong, I really do. I want an Oshkosh 7-1/2 tonner and a Freightliner M917 dump! I just don't see them coming out in any great quantities. As I said, hopefully you are right and I am wrong and one day I'll pull into Aberdeen in an M917 dump!

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also hope Mike is right, but one key thing is that was all Pre-9/11 and with the current contract that DRMS/GL have, I think the handwriting is on the wall....

Uncle Sam can "buy" alot more with FMS goodwill than he can ever get from cash sales of trucks on GL.... Whats the cost to put an airbase next to a country we want to keep our eyes on? A couple hundred 5 tons? Done deal....

halftrack

Re: RE: M900

maddawg308 said:
I talked with a old codge not too long ago in Aberdeen, he told me he was into these MVs back in the 1960s, when there was just a few folks into fixing up old WWII vehicles that were surplussed out. He told me (THIS IS IMPORTANT) that back then, he and several of his restoring buddies back then didn't think there were EVER be a surplus system in the future when the M35A2s, the then-new M715s, and other then-hi tech gear would be sold off surplus. YET HERE WE ARE, and deuces, M715s and CUCVs are EVERYWHERE, and relatively cheap. Bottom line is, keep a positive mindset, get involved, and maybe we'll see the "glory days" of the WWII surplus market once again, with newer stuff!
THIS IS IMPORTANT--- Your friend only had to wait 40 yrs too to get his M35.

I don't know about you, but I will probably be pretty decrepted 40 yrs from now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks