• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got my m1123 home and I’m starting to get into it a little bit. Best things about it are, it runs really good and starts easy. Didn’t leak a drop of oil in the driveway overnight. Oil on dipstick is clean as well as the power steering fluid. I drove it around the block and I hit 40mph and it was noisy but it drove straight and transmission shifted great. underneath the desert sand that has accumulated over the years it shows no signs of wear.
The bad; brake light stays on the dash and fuel gauge doesn’t work both I was aware of before purchase. I found a big rock chip in windshield underneath the gov planet sticker. Transfer case shifter doesn’t hardly shift and it was in low when I got it. I will read thru the TM to see the proper procedure and make sure it’s not something I’m doing wrong. I don’t know if this is good or bad but I’m feeling a little cheated and when I looked at the batteries they looked small but new, like 2/21 new. They have 690 cca and the hold down was laying in the floor.
The ugliest thing so far is the tires. They are brand new with tits and all but the desert sun has caused some cracks and they need to be replaced at some point but that will probably be the last thing I do.
I would love to hear from others how buying something from a few pics and a couple of videos turned out. I think I did good and I would buy it again given a 2nd chance. Edit!! The ugliest thing is I bought this because my 14-year-old showed interest and wanted to fix it up and use it I am the one outside in 103° heat and he’s playing Xbox now that’s ugly6EF42B09-3180-4FD9-959B-CFFB03E7F70E.jpeg

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I just got my m1123 home and I’m starting to get into it a little bit. Best things about it are, it runs really good and starts easy. Didn’t leak a drop of oil in the driveway overnight. Oil on dipstick is clean as well as the power steering fluid. I drove it around the block and I hit 40mph and it was noisy but it drove straight and transmission shifted great. underneath the desert sand that has accumulated over the years it shows no signs of wear.
The bad; brake light stays on the dash and fuel gauge doesn’t work both I was aware of before purchase. I found a big rock chip in windshield underneath the gov planet sticker. Transfer case shifter doesn’t hardly shift and it was in low when I got it. I will read thru the TM to see the proper procedure and make sure it’s not something I’m doing wrong. I don’t know if this is good or bad but I’m feeling a little cheated and when I looked at the batteries they looked small but new, like 2/21 new. They have 690 cca and the hold down was laying in the floor.
The ugliest thing so far is the tires. They are brand new with tits and all but the desert sun has caused some cracks and they need to be replaced at some point but that will probably be the last thing I do.
I would love to hear from others how buying something from a few pics and a couple of videos turned out. I think I did good and I would buy it again given a 2nd chance. Edit!! The ugliest thing is I bought this because my 14-year-old showed interest and wanted to fix it up and use it I am the one outside in 103° heat and he’s playing Xbox now that’s uglyView attachment 841746
None of my business to make parenting suggestions, but I think somebody you know who is 14 could be out there helping. Even with zero experience working on vehicles, he could start learning any time. His incentive might be to earn a little seat time behind the wheel if you can get into a patch of wilderness out there in Texas.

---

Strange how it works. My youngest had ZERO interest in computers for anything other than gaming when he was about 13 or 14. I had Microsoft, Novell Netware, Cisco, IBM and several other wallet cards. I wrote microcode for the early CDPD wireless networks and had one or two days of on-the-job experience. Was just sure he or his older brother would get a "leg up" from what I could have shared.

As it turned out, the younger has a federal job operating a large network in Virginia. Lots of wallet cards too. The older is driving CNC machines here and that is pretty intense work. Both got there, but they could have gone the shorter way. :)

Cool part is that they both went to school, and they got some wallpaper. Found themselves a job with zero influence from me. Both worked their backsides off, then figured out that maybe "this computer thing" would be a good way to earn more money. :cool:

M1165A1

All HMMWV tires should be replaced on purchase, given the recall on the MTRs discussed in other threads. That's not surprising. The other issues? Par for the course, especially govplanet covering up a damaged windscreen with a sticker.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All HMMWV tires should be replaced on purchase, given the recall on the MTRs discussed in other threads. That's not surprising. The other issues? Par for the course, especially govplanet covering up a damaged windscreen with a sticker.
I hadn’t heard anything about a recall on the mtr’s but it doesn’t surprise me. I struggle to search for anything here and I usually have to search google to find the threads here. My Son finally came out and gave me a solid 3 hours of help.

M1165A1

Technically not a "recall", but yes, it's a recall:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you want an ex-military vehicle sitting in the desert for 11yrs to be perfect?
all tires need immediate replacement
windshields? At least you have them…
brake light on? No or low brake fluid or pressure , wire disconnected at pro valve.
99% of every truck from auction has Tcase engaged…no idea why. But some times it’s because there is a
halfshaft broken or missing.
Your truck need a complete service…from top to bottom,all fluids changed and drivetrain lubricated.

papakb

Consider yourself lucky, you got a set of new, matching batteries that will run your truck for years without the expense other have gone thru to buy crappy 6TN/Ls or Optimas. As long as they hold a charge and start the truck what more do you want? Reposition them end-to-end and the original hold down bracket will probably work fine. I mounted a set of type 24s in mine and couldn't be happier. If I ever have a problem there are dozens of places around the country where I can get them warrantee replaced and nobody is going to see them unless you pull the passenger seat and show them.

1628352572856.jpeg

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
If Heirs will want that truck One day then they gottah work for it
Most of my life I found nothing is free except ME
" I am the one outside in 103° heat and he’s playing Xbox now that’s ugly"

Anyhow heat is good, Try -20C, You would NOT like that either.
Just tell Mr. Xbox to get off his ass before He find himself in the jungle.
Give Him two cans 45 ACP to run in the fields with and track progress.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If Heirs will want that truck One day then they gottah work for it
Most of my life I found nothing is free except ME
" I am the one outside in 103° heat and he’s playing Xbox now that’s ugly"

Anyhow heat is good, Try -20C, You would NOT like that either.
Just tell Mr. Xbox to get off his ass before He find himself in the jungle.
Give Him two cans 45 ACP to run in the fields with and track progress.
He has been working pretty hard and was up and helping me this morning at 7:30. He said he was sore from helping his mom move the day before so maybe he was. He prefers 9mm but I’m hoping he will grow out of. If not I will have to find someone else to leave my 45’s to.811E81D2-74AD-4FA8-BB84-69F7E7DA3C82.jpeg

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you want an ex-military vehicle sitting in the desert for 11yrs to be perfect?
all tires need immediate replacement
windshields? At least you have them…
brake light on? No or low brake fluid or pressure , wire disconnected at pro valve.
99% of every truck from auction has Tcase engaged…no idea why. But some times it’s because there is a
halfshaft broken or missing.
Your truck need a complete service…from top to bottom,all fluids changed and drivetrain lubricated.
I don’t expect perfect at all and it’s better than I expected it to be. I was interested in what others found good or bad after purchasing something from a few pics. I’m getting it cleaned up now and then I will start working on the issues that I have.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
long day of cleaning and disassembly and I probably would have kept going but the mat on the passenger side goes all the way to the bottom of the window frame. Looks like you have to remove the 4 bolts for the heater assembly and slide in down. It looks like the bolts are in the air box and I will have to check it out tomorrow. While I had the hood up I wanted to check the air filter and see if it needs replaced. I got it out and it looked like new and zero dust inside the canister and when I was putting it back in I seen the date 4/02 on the sticker. I’m convinced that it has 132 miles on it and I don’t even see how that’s possible. I thought I paid a little too much for it but I think I got a good deal after spending some time with it.8F654B9E-EA92-4412-B940-AECFFDDCAD5E.jpeg I

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
long day of cleaning and disassembly and I probably would have kept going but the mat on the passenger side goes all the way to the bottom of the window frame. Looks like you have to remove the 4 bolts for the heater assembly and slide in down. It looks like the bolts are in the air box and I will have to check it out tomorrow. While I had the hood up I wanted to check the air filter and see if it needs replaced. I got it out and it looked like new and zero dust inside the canister and when I was putting it back in I seen the date 4/02 on the sticker. I’m convinced that it has 132 miles on it and I don’t even see how that’s possible. I thought I paid a little too much for it but I think I got a good deal after spending some time with it.View attachment 841863 I
Good Deal! Nice to see something like that happen.
Picture looks like that filter is really clean.

Action

long day of cleaning and disassembly and I probably would have kept going but the mat on the passenger side goes all the way to the bottom of the window frame. Looks like you have to remove the 4 bolts for the heater assembly and slide in down. It looks like the bolts are in the air box and I will have to check it out tomorrow. While I had the hood up I wanted to check the air filter and see if it needs replaced. I got it out and it looked like new and zero dust inside the canister and when I was putting it back in I seen the date 4/02 on the sticker. I’m convinced that it has 132 miles on it and I don’t even see how that’s possible. I thought I paid a little too much for it but I think I got a good deal after spending some time with it.View attachment 841863 I
There are 2 lines of peel and stick tape at the top of that floor mat. It might not slide out easily.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are 2 lines of peel and stick tape at the top of that floor mat. It might not slide out easily.
It looks like the brackets are thru the mat because I got it pulled down from the top but it was against the top bracket of the blower/ heater assembly. I will have to get a better look at it tomorrow and see if I can do it without removing the brackets bolts.

Action

It looks like the brackets are thru the mat because I got it pulled down from the top but it was against the top bracket of the blower/ heater assembly. I will have to get a better look at it tomorrow and see if I can do it without removing the brackets bolts.
yup. you can use a utility knife and cut below the heater core, or remove the 4 nuts or bolts holding the core to the body. If you are just wanting to clean the floor, just lift the lower half up and secure with bungee strap or something. If you are replacing the mat, get a new one before you unbolt the core, so you only have to do it once.

1628393895492.png

1628393927062.png

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yup. you can use a utility knife and cut below the heater core, or remove the 4 nuts or bolts holding the core to the body. If you are just wanting to clean the floor, just lift the lower half up and secure with bungee strap or something. If you are replacing the mat, get a new one before you unbolt the core, so you only have to do it once.

View attachment 841865

View attachment 841866
Are the bolts/nuts inside the airbox plenum? That’s what I’m seeing but I don’t see so good anymore lol

kzeyus

Yes. Install rivnuts while you have it out, much easier if you have to get in there again in future.

QUOTE="Maxjeep1, post: 2378825, member: 105869"]
Are the bolts/nuts inside the airbox plenum? That’s what I’m seeing but I don’t see so good anymore lol
[/QUOTE]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks