• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Great NH Rte 16

Hey Fellas,
Just about to embark on my first 'big' MV road trip!

Anybody in the New England area is more than likely familiar with the great Route 16.
It is a stretch of road that goes from Portsmouth NH all the way to Canada. At it's largest it is a 6 lane highway, at times it is barely a road, but either way it is quite possibly the most scenic road in all of New England.

It starts at the ocean and winds through the lakes region, the Conway area ski resorts, enters the white mountains and the national forest, passes Mt Washington (at the auto road), and continues North through the logging and industrial mills of Berlin. Here it links up with the Anderscoggin river and follows it's banks for many miles.
There are tons of tourist attractions, parks, camps, specialty stores and points of interest along the route, as well as a few MV's I have spotted along the way! (chime in if you guys are members). There is a Army-Navy surplus store along the way and there is even a place in North Conway that fixes, bobbs, and restores M35A2s.

Every year we go to Errol for our camping trip (almost the end of the line). Members of my family who I have not seen in months show up and all they asked about last year was 'Where is the army truck??'
So this year I have decided to take the deuce for the trip. It will be loaded with 2 ATV's, camping supplies, firewood and provisions.
We are going at the end of this month, the distance isn't bad, around 125 miles. But what I have reservations about is the grades. Coming through the mountains there are a couple of monster hills that last a few miles each. Not a terrible grade % but the length of them I'm sure will have my truck shouting for mercy. Luckily there are double right hand lanes to accomodate people in my situation, and to allow faster traffic to pass.

Anyone have any input? Advice? Also, if there are any members along Rte 16 that could be of service in the event of a breakdown let me know.
-GM

WarrenD

The area around the Glen Ellis Falls comes to mind, those are wicked hills. My Tahoe didn't care for them a bit. I'd suggest keeping an eye on the temp gauge and if the truck has been turned up, watch the pyro. If you don't have a pyro (exhaust gas temp) gauge, I'd get one.

Thanks Warren,

The fuel has not been adjusted, do you still think I need a pyro? I have been thinking of installing one anyway. Yeah Glen Ellis is probably the worst part of the climb out, but once you pass the auto road it's almost all downhill.

WarrenD

I don't think it would hurt. That way, if you ever decided to turn up the pump, you're set.

I'm leaving tomorrow. Almost all packed, got some extra rotella, gear oil, fuel, coolant, spare tire, tools and a CB radio. I will post all of my pics from the trip.

p.s. Congrats Warren on the new purchase! :beer: Love the Avatar.

bigjoe

I live just outside of Conway in Madison, Route 16 is a great ride, i work right down the road from the army surplus store in Conway. It will be a slow climb up those hills, but a fun ride. Pm me for my cell number in case of a breakdown. My trucks are down right now so I'm kind of limited, but if I can help out a fellow steel soldier I'd be more than willing. Good luck and have fun!

Katahdin

I really need to spend more time hiking and exploring that area. I'm a little too far Southeast to be of any immediate help but I'll monitor this thread. Best of luck on your trip and those road grades, please let us know how well you and your truck fared when you get a chance.

91W350

You should be fine, just do not lean on it, pick a gear that allows the engine to run fairly free and use the slow lane... Doing a slow ascent easily sure beats trying a rapid ascent and blowing the engine. I do not mind towing other trucks, but I would rather see mine arrive under their own power. I wish I could go, it sounds fantastic! Be sure to share lots of photos! Glen

Hey fellas! Made it up and back ok, actually better than ok. My truck performed perfectly and even used less fuel than I expected.
Hauled both atvs and all my gear up those hills and only needed to shift into 3rd twice. It rained buckets the whole time but that didn't keep us from having a blast. We turned the back into our tent with my new NOS 3pc vinyl and stayed dry for all 3 days.
Had electricity, carpet and heat :D.

Attachments

RangerBob

<snip>
There is a Army-Navy surplus store along the way and there is even a place in North Conway that fixes, bobbs, and restores M35A2s.
</snip>
Can you tell me the name and/or address of the deuce shop? I hope to be taking my new deuce up that way in the next month or so and may be in need of parts or repair.

Vintage iron

Hey McGregor! great pictures, she looks right at home in those woods. Nice accommodations in the back. Now that is Camping! I like camping, I just hate sleeping on the ground. I use to sleep on top of the 5 ton canvas cargo top when I was in the Corp.

Think I may take the M813 to Kublos on Sat. She needs a good ride. I think it is 500 miles each way. Not sure? I am going to pick up 1600's so I can get some decent highway speeds. Maybe next time!

Hey Vintage, yeah the camping was great. I hope to see a 'New England' rally and have camping like that somewhere around here. I know there is a Maine rally but that may be too far for you Mass and CT boys.

Kublos is in PA right? You should check out Eastern Surplus in Philly. That is a place to behold.
Either way have a good trip, mine loves the highway more than anything. Just bring lots of $$$$ for the tolls!!

-GM

Capt.Marion

Looks like you had a beautiful trip... I've been dying go for a nice drive in the Deuce up here in New England... unfortunately my truck lives at home in GA while I'm up here in MA.